Old 12-02-2010, 02:41 AM   #1
LinneaJo
Casting On

Keeping pattern in knitted triangle?
Hi!

I was thinking about knitting a triangular shaped shawl, but it was kind of long time ago since I last knitted one. I would need a little reminder.

I’m planning to make this simple net pattern:

http://www.ensaligblandning.se/2010/...ka-ett-harnat/

1st row: (inside) knit one, purl 43, knit the last.
2ond row: (outside) knit 1, *put yarn over the needle, knit two together* repet betwen *-*

How am I supposed to do to follow the pattern, and make increases so it looks even? I don’t want to go “off pattern”, the net still has to look symmetrical.

Explanations or diagrams would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Linnea
LinneaJo is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 12-02-2010, 10:28 AM   #2
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
This pattern won't make a triangle, more like a square. So if you want to start at the tip of one, then CO 3, knit 1 row, then k1 YO, k2 on the next. Do alll WS rows as k1 YO knit the rest of the row, and the RS rows would be k1 YO *k2tog, yo* to the end of the row and k1, repeating the (k2tog yo) sts. Keep alternating a yo knit row with the pattern row until it's as large as you want.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 07:13 PM   #3
LinneaJo
Casting On

Originally Posted by suzeeq View Post
This pattern won't make a triangle, more like a square. So if you want to start at the tip of one, then CO 3, knit 1 row, then k1 YO, k2 on the next. Do alll WS rows as k1 YO knit the rest of the row, and the RS rows would be k1 YO *k2tog, yo* to the end of the row and k1, repeating the (k2tog yo) sts. Keep alternating a yo knit row with the pattern row until it's as large as you want.
Thankäs alot. I THINK I understand, but I have to admit I'm getting kind of dizzy.
Could you do me the favour to be a little bit more specific and make an example? Like:

CO 3

Row 1: K3
Row 2: K1, YO, K2
Row 3: K1, YO, *k2tog, yo*, K1

Continue some rows so I can get help to see the pattern... :S

I get a little confused. Shouldn't the "inside row" be Knit 1, Purl, knit the last? Where are the purls in the inside row in the example above?

Thanks!

Linnea
Old 12-02-2010, 09:12 PM   #4
LinneaJo
Casting On

Here's the triangle I want do do:

This is the pattern i want to follow:

1st row: (inside) knit one, purl, knit the last.
2nd row: (outside) knit 1, *put yarn over the needle, knit two together* repet betwen *-*

Can anyone show me where and how my increases should be?

Like:

Row 1:
Row 2:
Row 3:
and so on

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	triangle.JPG
Views:	38
Size:	7.8 KB
ID:	55005  
Old 12-02-2010, 11:41 PM   #5
suzeeq
Knit On!

There's a couple ways to do it - with purls on the WS or aslo repeating the yo k2tog pattern on the WS. The lace pattern will add only 1 stitch on the row that it's done, but to make a triangle you need 1 inc on every row or 2 on every other one. So if you do a purl row, you would have to do a YO at the beg of it.

Play around with both ideas and see how you like it. I know there's several basic shawl recipes that would work, but I can't recall where to find them. I'll try to look and see if I have a copy of one and let you know.

Old 12-03-2010, 12:18 AM   #6
suzeeq
Knit On!

Oh, I just noticed your diagram, and you want a shawl that starts at one side and goes to the other. There's lots of those.

Here's one that would work very well - Aubrey and the extra lacey baktus. These are both done by knitting every row, but they don't look like it so much. You could purl the WS rows if you wanted.

Old 12-03-2010, 07:02 PM   #7
LinneaJo
Casting On

Thanks!

Is this the right way to go? My own yo are fat and cursivated. I DON'T want to loose the pattern.

(pic: http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_l4HAKwaolz...0/giveaway.gif )

My yo are fat and cursivated.

CO 3 sts

Row: yo, K1, yo
Row: K1, P1, K1
Row: K1, *yo, k2tog*, yo
Row: K1, P2, K1
Row: K1, *yo, k2tog*, yo, K1
Row: K1, P3, K1
Row: K1, P4, K1
Row: K1, P5, K1
Row: K1, P6, K1
Row: K1, P7, K1
Row: K1, P8, K1

etc

Will it work?
And... If i shows I need more tilting to the right, I'll have to make to increases in the same row... Where should I put the other one, to not go off-pattern?
Old 12-03-2010, 07:11 PM   #8
suzeeq
Knit On!

With an end to end shawl, you want one edge straight and one edge increasing. Or do you want it bottom up?

These 2 rows - Row: yo, K1, yo and Row: K1, *yo, k2tog*, yo - won't work, you need an edge st with the YOs inside them. Maybe you meant - k yo k yo k on that first one which gives you 5 sts, then next would be: K1, P2, K1 and on the follow row - k, yo k2tog, yo, k2 tog.

What's a fat 'cursivated' YO? A yo is a YO, and its size depends on the needle size and how loose or tight you make it.

Old 12-04-2010, 01:58 AM   #9
LinneaJo
Casting On

Originally Posted by suzeeq View Post
With an end to end shawl, you want one edge straight and one edge increasing. Or do you want it bottom up?

These 2 rows - Row: yo, K1, yo and Row: K1, *yo, k2tog*, yo - won't work, you need an edge st with the YOs inside them. Maybe you meant - k yo k yo k on that first one which gives you 5 sts, then next would be: K1, P2, K1 and on the follow row - k, yo k2tog, yo, k2 tog.

What's a fat 'cursivated' YO? A yo is a YO, and its size depends on the needle size and how loose or tight you make it.
Thanks!

Okej, nevermind "Row: yo, K1, yo and Row: K1, *yo, k2tog*, yo " They're wrong.

But the rest. The fat YO is the one's iv'e put there MYSELF, so I wonder if they will work.

I want one edge straight and one edge increasing and I want to do this pattern:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_l4HAKwaolz...0/giveaway.gif

Have I calculated right or will I mess it up?
Old 12-04-2010, 11:59 AM   #10
suzeeq
Knit On!

The picture you link to is a snood, a head covering, and the pattern is sort of a square. I understand that you want to use the same stitch pattern to make a mesh.

If you want one edge straight and the other inc to the center, then the inc edge decs look at the shawls in the links I posted above. They're very similar to what you want, and if you want purl rows on the WS instead of knit, they'll work with that. But pretty much, your ideas should work out.

When you're making your own pattern, sometimes it's better to figure it out by actually knitting it than to 'see' it in your head. So go ahead and try it, and if it doesn't work out as you've written, then see where you could make changes.