Old 11-26-2010, 09:59 AM   #21
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,893 Times in 3,014 Posts
Originally Posted by Daylilydayzed View Post
Since that photo was taken I have lost both mother and grandmother. Mom went on Dec 31, 2003 and Grandmother went on Aug 9th 2007.
So sorry to hear of their passing. But wonderful that you had that brief moment with the five of you gathered for that priceless photo! It's hard to lose the women in our lives. It's been the most difficult thing in my life.

Artlady at Rav
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-30-2010, 02:55 PM   #22
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,765 Times in 7,133 Posts
Congratulations, Dollyce! That is awesome news! Knitting for little ones is the most fun!

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jan in CA For This Useful Post:
ArtLady1981 (11-30-2010)
Old 12-01-2010, 09:42 AM   #23
WandaT
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,479 Times in 1,441 Posts
How awesome!!! Congrats to the most beautiful great grandma!! They just don't make grandmas like they used to do they? LOL Your grand-daughter is beautiful too ... must run in the family.

Wanda T
My Blog
My Ravelry
WandaT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WandaT For This Useful Post:
ArtLady1981 (12-01-2010)
Old 12-01-2010, 04:43 PM   #24
MoniDew
Working the Gusset

wow! major milestone! congrats!!!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to MoniDew For This Useful Post:
ArtLady1981 (12-01-2010)
Old 12-01-2010, 07:55 PM   #25
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

I'm trying to think long and hard about the YARNS for my great-grandbaby's knits. She (he?) will be born in June...so 0-3 months sizes should be cottons, possibly other coolish yarns like made from corn, hemp, linen, milk. But, the garments should be machine washable for the sake of the new mother, right?

Anyway, acrylic is out. I like natural plant-based yarns for warm weather knits. Anyone have suggestions? What plant-based yarns are soft, cool, and machine washable?

Artlady at Rav
Old 12-01-2010, 10:54 PM   #26
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,765 Times in 7,133 Posts
Like wools washability varies. Have to think on this a bit...

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 07:41 PM   #27
amy
Administrator
Site Admin

Dollyce, how exciting! A great grandbaby on the way, yippee!

Sorry this reply is belated. Sheldon is teasing me that it's so belated you're probably already a great, great grandma by now.

I haven't read this whole thread, but chiming in regarding yarn...how about an organic cotton?

‎"There is a vitality, a life force, an energy, a quickening that is translated through you into action, and because there is only one of you in all of time, this expression is unique. And if you block it, it will never exist through any other medium and it will be lost. The world will not have it. It is not your business to determine how good it is nor how valuable nor how it compares with other expressions. It is your business to keep it yours clearly and directly, to keep the channel open. You do not even have to believe in yourself or your work. You have to keep yourself open and aware to the urges that motivate you. Keep the channel open."
Martha Graham
amy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to amy For This Useful Post:
ArtLady1981 (12-03-2010)
Old 12-03-2010, 09:42 PM   #28
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Originally Posted by amy View Post
....but chiming in regarding yarn...how about an organic cotton?
Are organic cottons machine washable? It sounds great!

Artlady at Rav
Old 12-03-2010, 10:09 PM   #29
amy
Administrator
Site Admin

Check the label to be sure, but I'd say mostly yes on washability. Just be sure to wash and machine dry your swatch , or sleeve, before taking gauge for the sweater body. Cotton has NO bounce-back and can actually grow after laundering because of this.

I stay away from larger garments in cotton, the weight of the garment wants to pull and stretch out the knitting and it doesn't spring back, and it can be a frustrating fiber. But for a baby sweater scale it can be great.

I'm partial to eco-fibers, so that's why I list organic cotton first. I think linen or hemp would probably beat cotton for eco footprint, and also for machine wash durability, but they won't be baby-soft until they've been washed and washed and washed. I've never knit with tencel, but that is the most eco-friendly of the man-made cellulose-based fibers, if you're leaning in that direction. Mercerized cotton is soft, but I believe uses a lot of chemicals to get that way, so I'd avoid that. Bamboo and soy fibers can be quite soft, but again use a lot of chemicals as I understand it. Knitting Green by Ann Budd is a great book on these topics, for the curious.

‎"There is a vitality, a life force, an energy, a quickening that is translated through you into action, and because there is only one of you in all of time, this expression is unique. And if you block it, it will never exist through any other medium and it will be lost. The world will not have it. It is not your business to determine how good it is nor how valuable nor how it compares with other expressions. It is your business to keep it yours clearly and directly, to keep the channel open. You do not even have to believe in yourself or your work. You have to keep yourself open and aware to the urges that motivate you. Keep the channel open."
Martha Graham
Old 12-03-2010, 10:41 PM   #30
amy
Administrator
Site Admin

Originally Posted by ArtLady1981 View Post
Yes, she lives about 10 minutes from her Gram! We've been fortunate...all 5 of our children and all 10 of our grandchildren, live within 15 minutes from us!
Wow, Dollyce, that is really wonderful and incredible. Tell me your secret, how did you get your kids to stay so close?! ETA: I mean, in this day and age, it seems like so many people travel for school or whatever, and settle elsewhere.

Martha Graham