Old 12-04-2010, 01:06 PM   #1
grannyalice
Casting On

More help with the sweater from hell
I have asked for help previously with this mock neck cable sweater. It is knit on a round needle. It is very large, despite the fact that it's the smallest size (yes I did do a gauge swatch). I am now about to finish the yoke and find that, at 8 decreases per row, if I do the correct number of decrease rows, I will be (and am) 4 stitches short (or over if I do one fewer decrease). I don't want to rip out this behemoth at this stage.

Instructions say:

"Continue in rib [and cable] pattern and at same time beg at round 3, dec 2 sts on either side of sleeve connection, 24 times every other round. When 2 dec remain, slip 34 sts at the front [the cable] on to a stitch holder for neck and complete piece back and forth on needle. Now bind off to shape the neckline on ea side: 1 st at beg of every row from mid front 2 times. When all dec for raglan and neck are complete there are 70 sts left on needle. [After all decreases, there should be 108 st., then after 2 more 2 st. decreases, 104, less the 34 on the holder]

I started, correctly, with 300 stitches, and now have 128, after 21 decreases. If I go one more, I'll have 120, at which point I'm to put 34 sts on a holder.

This is not the whole thing but I am so confused. Should I go over or under, I'm thinking 4 under, ie the correct number of decreases b/c the sweater is large and stretchy. Also, are the directions telling me to pull the 70, for me 66, stitches together on regular needles and continue, or should I leave a space for the neck?

Directions continued...

NECK

Sip sts from holder at front back on needle and pick up 2 sts on neckline each side of these = a total of 108 stitches on needle. Work rib and pattern as before. Bec. of the dec. for the nec the cable on front and back pieces will not be made in the same round! When neck measures approx 2-1/2", adjust to after at least 6 rounds after the last cable at the front. bind off with k over k and p over p."

I am terribly confused by all of this and need to stay away from the knit store for a while, esp. during Xmas! Thanks for your help!:
grannyalice is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 12-04-2010, 01:40 PM   #2
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
I think the 70 sts will be the back of the neck which you pick up when you do the neck band. I think you'll see how the neck shaping works out when you get there.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 02:36 PM   #3
grannyalice
Casting On

The Sweater from hell
Ms. Suzee, do you think go for 4 stitches under what I should have, or 4 over?

Confused in Princeton
grannyalice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 04:37 PM   #4
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Since it's largish, logic says go for 4 less.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote