Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-05-2010, 11:06 AM   #1
klkiddoo
Casting On

shape raglan armhole and decrease help
I've loved viewing this great forum for quite some time, and with a little searching, can usually find the answer to my questions.....I am crying 'uncle' this morning.
1. I am making an open cardigan, and currently working on the left front. I understand when I initially bind off 3 to start the armhole, but am wondering what to do with the bind off 0 (zero) at beg of following row. I guess in the past I have just done the add'l row as in pattern, without binding any off. Is this correct?
The bulk of the front ends at row 70, or WS, which is how the pattern states. When I go to the shape armhole, however, it has:
bind off 3 sts at beg of next row (which would be RS-row 71)
then 0 sts at beg of the following RS row (which would be row 73)
Work 3 rows even, end on WS (so I would do 74, 75, 76 in pattern)
Does this sound correct?

2. When I get to the DEC ROW (RS), I understand the decreases and when to do them. I just want to make sure that, in general, I understand decreases in a pattern.
For example, if I am working with 50 sts, and eventually end up binding off 6 from one side, I now have 44 sts. When I work the next RS, I would ignore my first 6 sts in the pattern, and begin on the 7th st. (Essentially working backward from the center point). Is this correct, or have I been doing it wrong all along?

I know how helpful you all are, so I am very excited to hear from you. After much ripping out/starting over, I have 2 beautiful sleeves, and am crossing my fingers that I have not gotten in over my head. I'm usually more of a scarf/afghan/anything that doesn't need to fit knitter
Kristin
klkiddoo is offline   Reply With Quote