Old 12-05-2010, 01:53 AM   #1
nil2500
Casting On

Casting on at the neckline of sweater
Hi there:

I'm having trouble executing this baby jacket pattern...

SHAPE NECK: Work in ribbing for 12 sts; put center 13 sts on a holder; join another ball of yarn and work in ribbing for last 12 sts. Work even on both sides at once for 4 rows. At each neck edge inc st every other row twice. At same edges cast on 7 sts.

I have worked the ribbing, put centre stitches on holder, joined yarn (so I'm working with two balls) and worked the ribbing. I have worked 4 four rows on both sides with increases, and casted on 7 additional stitches on one side on my work... BUT

I can't figure out out how to cast on 7 more stitches on the other side of my work using the second ball. When I attempt to do is stretches the yarn across the first "casted on" stitch to the first "worked stick"... essentially ruining the edge of my work..

I hope this makes sense... i don't know how to explain it better..

the only solution i can come up with is to cast on 7 on one side in one row, and the cast of the other 7 on the other side in the next row.... however this would ruin the symmetry of the pattern. Any help would be appreciate.

thanks in advance

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._7832401_n.jpg
nil2500 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 12-05-2010, 04:35 AM   #2
MerigoldinWA
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 1,834 Times in 1,737 Posts
I'm guessing you are going to be making a back neck opening for a ways and then knit across all the stitches to join them into one again. Is the problem that little loop that is hanging down in the neck opening on the right side? What kind of cast on are you attempting?

I'm thinking the left side in the picture is fine and the right side is where you are having the problem. Correct?

It may be that having it all on one needle is a problem. Since you have the left side done and it looks okay, why don't you try putting those stitches on some sort of holder for now and go back to the other side and try again.

What I would do rip back until you have the cast on stitches undone and that would put you at the neck edge of the right shoulder (as pictured). Then I would put the needle with the stitches on it into my left hand and with another needle as my working needle use a knitted cast on to add 7 stitches, then work across the 7 new stitches and the rest of the stitches.

I think if you were to put them all back onto the same needle at this point that you would probably have both yarns at the neck edge or both at the side edge. (maybe not) But I don't think that matters at this point. I'd just continue working the side you have on the needles keeping track of how many rows you do. I'm still assuming you are going to join it back into one piece of knitting... Then go to the other side and work it.

You need to end up with the same number of rows on each side, measured from where you put the stitches on your blue yarn holder pictured. I'm not sure where you will be for sure, but when you are ready to join them into one piece again do whatever it takes to have the same number of rows on each side and be able to start working all the way across from one side or the other.

I'm sorry this doesn't seem like a very clear answer, but it is hard for me to explain what I mean.
Old 12-05-2010, 10:29 AM   #3
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
The sts at the R were CO on wrong. You would use a knit or cable CO with the yarn and sts in the R hand switched over to the L to cast on.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 09:31 PM   #4
nil2500
Casting On

thanks for your replies... bare with me though.. i'm self-taught and still learning....this is the first time i'm attempting to make the back and fronts of the jacket in one piece... my past work always had a seem at the shoulder...because it is a jacket i won't be joining the left and right sides.

Actually here is a link to the full pattern.. http://freevintageknitting.com/baby-pattern/colmin728-6

okay to start.. i ripped my work back... so here i've worked even both sides for four rows with increases... pic here: http://i873.photobucket.com/albums/a...5/CIMG1218.jpg

Then i begin working the next row until i come to the neck edge and I cast on 7...still no problem... pic here: http://i873.photobucket.com/albums/a...5/CIMG1219.jpg

now i'm at the otherside's next edge and i switched to the other ball of string when I cast on seven stitches (cable method) my yarn ends at the neck edge... pic here: http://i873.photobucket.com/albums/a...5/CIMG1222.jpg

i need my yarn to be on the other side of the newly casted on stitches so that i can continue the ribbing and finish the row. if i work over the newly casted on stitches then my rows will be messed up

..or at least this is what m beginner's mind is thinking....

i'm just gonna put it out there one more time... if not i'll just have to corner someone on the street it's just too hard to explain online.

thanks again!
Old 12-05-2010, 09:44 PM   #5
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
You don't use the same yarn for both sides; knit each front separately. You do have to knit the new sts to work the row, they're now a part of that row.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 09:59 PM   #6
MerigoldinWA
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 1,834 Times in 1,737 Posts
I think what you have done so far looks fine. Now just pick one side and work it and leave the other side till later. It doesn't matter which side you pick, just work it so that the 3 stitches at the inside edge are knit (each row from here on out on the front edge is knit only--garter stitch) and the rest in rib pattern. If you are starting at the inside edge knit 3, then look at the ribbing pattern you have set up and figure out which stitch you need to do next to land on the correct stitch for the part you already have going. If you are starting at the outside edge, just rib across to the last 3 stitches and knit all 3 of them.

Your next instuctions say:
Quote:
Working 3 sts at each center edge in garter st for front border and remaining sts in ribbing, work even on 21(23) sts of each side until armholes measures 3
That is what I tried to help you understand above. It may be telling you to work both sides at the same time, and you can if you'd like, but I probably would just do one and then the other. I get mixed up sometimes trying to work both at the same time, others love that method.

If you do them one at a time you will need to count your rows to try to have the number the same on each side, but if you are one off it won't be the end of the world. If you do them at the same time you need to be careful to keep the number of rows even too.
Old 12-06-2010, 12:42 AM   #7
nil2500
Casting On

thanks for the help everyone... i chose this project just to learn something new and challenge myself a little...so it's okay if it's not perfect...

i think i'll try working the sides separately and see how that goes. merci!