Old 11-28-2010, 03:09 PM   #1
ButterflyBlue
Casting On

Sleeves
I'm okay at knitting and can follow most patterns but it doesn't matter how many times I watch videos of how to sew the seams mine always look a mess. Would it work if I knitted the sleeves on circular needles so there wouldn't be a seam?
ButterflyBlue is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-28-2010, 03:20 PM   #2
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
You could try that. What sort of sweater are you making? You have to attach the sleeves some way though. If you make up the sweater first, then you could pick up sts around the armhole to knit in the round down to the wrist.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 03:59 PM   #3
ButterflyBlue
Casting On

Originally Posted by suzeeq View Post
You could try that. What sort of sweater are you making? You have to attach the sleeves some way though. If you make up the sweater first, then you could pick up sts around the armhole to knit in the round down to the wrist.
Hadn't thought of that. Thanks. It's a child's bolero style. I've decided to unpick it again (2nd time) and knit the back and sides up to the armholes as one.
Old 11-28-2010, 05:21 PM   #4
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Okay, knit the front and back in one piece to the underarms. Then knit the sections separately back and forth with no shaping or may BO 4 or 5 at the underams, and attach the shoulders; a 3 needle BO works great for that. Then pick up sts in the armholes and knit for the length you want, doing some decreases if you want them tapered rather than floppy.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to suzeeq For This Useful Post:
ButterflyBlue (12-01-2010)
Old 12-04-2010, 11:15 PM   #5
RuthieinMaryland
Turning the Heel

Location: I live on the Eastern Shore of Maryland - GREAT steamed crab country! :o)
Constructing a sweater...
Hi!

Once upon a long time ago I did a lot of garment construction in sewing. As with any skill, we always find shortcuts or methods that work for us that might be different from standard instructions.

For me, when I was putting together a garment that had sleeves I would work as follows......

Sew the front to the back at the shoulder seams; (Leave the side seams open)

Gather the sleeve cap and fit in to the shoulder opening, easing in the curve; (Leave the side seams open here, too)

THEN join the side seams and sleeve seams in one continuous line, and I usually worked from the bottom up the side and then down the sleeve seam.

In knitting, this sequence also works well for me and i tend to use the mattress stitch for a really neat, non-bulky seam. I've found that it's a finishing stitch well worth mastering.

With some practice you'll probably greatly improve your finishing techniques, something that makes all the difference in garment construction whether you're sewing or working with knitted pieces.

Hope this helps!

Good luck and happy knitting!

Ruthie
Old 12-06-2010, 01:49 PM   #6
ButterflyBlue
Casting On

Originally Posted by RuthieinMaryland View Post
Hi!

Once upon a long time ago I did a lot of garment construction in sewing. As with any skill, we always find shortcuts or methods that work for us that might be different from standard instructions.

For me, when I was putting together a garment that had sleeves I would work as follows......

Sew the front to the back at the shoulder seams; (Leave the side seams open)

Gather the sleeve cap and fit in to the shoulder opening, easing in the curve; (Leave the side seams open here, too)

THEN join the side seams and sleeve seams in one continuous line, and I usually worked from the bottom up the side and then down the sleeve seam.

In knitting, this sequence also works well for me and i tend to use the mattress stitch for a really neat, non-bulky seam. I've found that it's a finishing stitch well worth mastering.

With some practice you'll probably greatly improve your finishing techniques, something that makes all the difference in garment construction whether you're sewing or working with knitted pieces.

Hope this helps!

Good luck and happy knitting!

Ruthie
Thanks Ruthie. I don't think it helps that I'm knitting stripes. The main body is blue and white with the rib in red!