Old 12-05-2010, 07:03 PM   #1
drquinnfan937
Casting On

circular needles have reduced me to tears...help please?
how can I make sure, when starting my knitting in the round that my knit stitches will end up on the OUTSIDE? they keep ending up on the inside no matter what I try.
I'm amazed that this is happening, because I've done this before, and after I've gotten the project started, I'm fine, I just remember being this frustrated last time too.

Any advice? how can I keep the stitches that I cast on angled so the knit will be on the outside?

thanks!
drquinnfan937 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 12-05-2010, 07:36 PM   #2
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
You're holding the needles wrong, no need to keep taking it out and starting over, or cry over it. And it's perfectly fine if they're on the inside for a bit, they tend to flip around until there's several rows to keep them in place. Just flip your knitting inside out and hold the needles with the tips toward you, and the loop on the far side.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 08:55 PM   #3
drquinnfan937
Casting On

Thank you so much suzeeq!!!! I tried this right away and the problem was immediately fixed! amazing you knew what I was doing wrong without seeing me, but many thanks to you!!!
drquinnfan937 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 08:58 PM   #4
suzeeq
Knit On!

The reason I know is that it's been described and pictures posted by many many people who had the same thing going on. Don't think you're the only one who does things that don't work out right....

Old 12-06-2010, 01:26 PM   #5
trvvn5
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to trvvn5
Half the time, we all know what you're doing wrong because we did it wrong that way ourselves when we started doing something for the first time.

I find it funny that I can usually tell someone why they have extra stitches on their needles before they even tell me what they're doing, because I used to add stitches all the time when I started.

FO: Lacey Stole, Library Capelet, Dead Fish Hat, Tree Bark Scarf
trvvn5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 02:27 PM   #6
hyperactive
Working the Gusset

@rvvn:
the legendary pulled up yarn on purl stitches? SO many people do that.
I learned knitting before I could read or write. So a lot of my initial mistakes I have forgotten. And the overthinking-part just never got hold of me in the beginning days.
But of course we all make mistakes and we all see how things can be missunderstood. And we see all the questions here, too. Even if you haven't made a certain brain short circuit thing, for example, but read about it, you start to understand how to re-wire.

I can not get over the fact that a lot of people think

a) all you do on circular needles is knitting in the round
b) all knitting in the round is done on circular needles

well, both asumptions make sense, but not in real life. But for me, they were never a question. Still, I do not laugh at people but develope an understanding that it throws people off-track when a pattern says: on a 20 inch circular needle, cast on 12 stitches. Well, making ends meet only works with magic (loop) but other than that...
To this day I find new things all the time - which is why these forums are fun!
Knitting in the round on straight needles (2 of them!) is one of those moments in my not to far past.

Just ask. Someone will answer and someone will learn

I have been away from the forum for a bit, but I am still around!
hyperactive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 04:39 PM   #7
cacunn
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,103 Times in 826 Posts
There is nothing new in knitting just a stitch, technique or oops that we have not tried before.

For most of us we have had projects that have taken us twice as many stitches because of all the frogging, dropped stitches and restarts.

Last edited by cacunn : 12-11-2010 at 09:57 PM.
cacunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 03:00 AM   #8
luvmykid28
Turning the Heel

Mistakes
The other night I was teaching my knitting class and one of the students asked me how I know how to fix their mistakes. I told her, it's because I have made the same mistakes and had to figure out how to fix them. That and KH has helped me learn to fix mistakes.

I have three passions:
1. My husband
2. My daughter
3. Knitting
Everything else can wait.
luvmykid28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 12:59 PM   #9
suzeeq
Knit On!

Yep, we've all been there before, making all the mistakes and figuring out how to fix them.

Old 12-11-2010, 02:40 PM   #10
Nanaof6
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by luvmykid28 View Post
The other night I was teaching my knitting class and one of the students asked me how I know how to fix their mistakes. I told her, it's because I have made the same mistakes and had to figure out how to fix them. That and KH has helped me learn to fix mistakes.
My knitting instructor use to tell me "mistakes is what makes us better knitters"

Those words are Gold, they helped me move ahead with my knitting.

IX XI
Keep Christ In Christmas

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14548372@N02
Nanaof6 is offline   Reply With Quote