Old 12-15-2010, 11:40 AM   #11
kmaclean
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by Breezed View Post
Wow this is all very good information laid out plainly enough to understand for us newbs. Thanks!

There are so many different things to learn when you start knitting that sometimes it can be a little overwhelming. Having a place like this where you can get some of these tips to help you get started can really help, especially if you don't know someone who knits and can help you in person.

Some of the tips mentioned above are really great because they're general principles that apply to all of your projects and will continue to help you as you develop your knitting skills. Having even just a basic understanding of these things as you get started can help you avoid frustration!

I especially liked the comment about frogging ... too often we think that if we've made a mistake and have to frog back that we've "failed", when really we should be looking at it as a learning experience. The way I see it, when I have to frog it's not because I (or the project) failed it's because I learned what NOT to do! Like with anything else in life, our mistakes teach us something ... whether it's about our project, our knitting style, or ourselves!

Keep up the good work, and remember that there's always something new to learn (no matter how long you've been knitting for) and someone here to help you learn it!
kmaclean is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 12-15-2010, 12:02 PM   #12
cacunn
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,103 Times in 826 Posts
You may also want to scan through

Knit Tips and Tricks

and if you have a question the search feature is your friend. We are always willing to help, and there are not stupid questions (except for the one your didn't ask). However, the question has probably been asked a number of times and this means you don't have to wait for someone to answer.

cacunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 07:15 PM   #13
HSRCampbell
Ribbing the Cuff

Thanks, everyone! I kept on working (which is HUGE for me, I've had a lot of difficulty with goal-oriented concentration, a major component of ADHD) and here's an update. I am definitely making a scarf just so I can get something done. I haven't kept track of how many rows I've done, but it looks like 24 (40 sts cast on). My 2-year-old says it's "cute", and my 5-year-old wants it for herself.

Specifically helpful were: the link to the "mini project", everything cancunn said, the reassurances by suzeeq. A lot of the RS/WS issue was alleviated by the fact that I'm not using purl stitch, so I just end on the end of a row and that's that, just put the work in my left hand and I'm good to go, but I'm sure that the suggestions of rubber bands and safety pins will come in handy sometime in the very near future.

I'm angelwings2315 on Flickr. Here's a current photo of my progress:

Last edited by HSRCampbell : 12-15-2010 at 07:24 PM. Reason: additional thanks
HSRCampbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 10:22 AM   #14
kmaclean
Turning the Heel

Glad to hear that you've kept working at it ... completing that first project will give you a huge sense of accomplishment (and encourage you to keep trying new projects in the future!)

Good luck!
kmaclean is offline   Reply With Quote