Old 12-16-2010, 01:15 PM   #1
barb2
Casting On

HELP
I have been knitting for awhile but have never understood end on WS or RS. Does ending on mean complete the WS or RS row or does it mean before you start the ending row. My question shows how confused I have been for a long time. For example the patten I have not is shaping the arm hole. It says:
Ending with the WS (?)
Bind off 8 sts at beg of next 2 rows ((done)
Now the problem. I completed a WS row (ending with WS row)
The next row (which I have written out below) has purl in it so it ends up on the RS of my work????See below.

Row 1: Sl 1, k1,yo,cdd,yo,k1, pm(I am assuming this means place marker) p2 tog, p to last 8 st,p2tog-tbl(?),pm, k1,yo,cdd,yo,k2

Row 2: Sl 1,p5,kto marker,p6.

Sl markers, rep these 2rows until 71sts
Work even in established pat until arm hole measures 8inches ending on a WS row(?)
As I type this I am more confused then ever. Am I completing whole rows in Row one and 2 or am I placing markers and turning my work from marker to marker?
Please help veteran who feels like a newbie. B B
barb2 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 12-16-2010, 01:26 PM   #2
kmaclean
Turning the Heel

So, there are a couple of different questions here:

1) Yes, you are right ... end with a WS row means to stop after completing a WS row. In the pattern as written, there will be a purl on the RS. I assume this is how it's supposed to be, but I haven't seen the project.

2) "p2tog-tbl" means to purl two stitches together through the back loops.

3) Yes, you are completing full rows as you are working "row 1" and "row 2" as written. They are just telling you to slip the markers as you come to them. You repeat these two rows until you have the indicated number of stitches (each time you YO you are increasing by one stitch), then you work even (following the pattern with no increases or decreases).
kmaclean is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kmaclean For This Useful Post:
barb2 (12-16-2010)
Old 12-16-2010, 01:27 PM   #3
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
To end on a RS/WS row normally means finish that row. In your pattern it should mean to work the body of the sweater and end on the WS. Then on the RS you BO 8 sts finish the row and also BO on the WS row.

Row 1 also has knits as well as purls in it as does Row 2. Do you have a link to the pattern. or at least a picture? This one could be poorly written and really means the first BO sts should be done on the WS row, so row 1 will also be a WS.

The markers are just to set off the edge sts so you do the entire row. You are not increasing sts here, but decreasing them; the CDD (centered double dec) offsets the YOs, and the p2tog/p2togtbl will dec the number.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to suzeeq For This Useful Post:
barb2 (12-16-2010)
Old 12-16-2010, 01:31 PM   #4
kmaclean
Turning the Heel

Aahhh! Listen to Suzeeq ... I missed the double decrease! LOL
kmaclean is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kmaclean For This Useful Post:
barb2 (12-16-2010)
Old 12-16-2010, 09:38 PM   #5
barb2
Casting On

Thanks
Originally Posted by kmaclean View Post
Aahhh! Listen to Suzeeq ... I missed the double decrease! LOL
Thank you both for your quick replies I was really surprised and happy.
I can move on now and know that it is correct.
Old 12-17-2010, 12:53 PM   #6
barb2
Casting On

Link to my pattern
Originally Posted by suzeeq View Post
To end on a RS/WS row normally means finish that row. In your pattern it should mean to work the body of the sweater and end on the WS. Then on the RS you BO 8 sts finish the row and also BO on the WS row.

Row 1 also has knits as well as purls in it as does Row 2. Do you have a link to the pattern. or at least a picture? This one could be poorly written and really means the first BO sts should be done on the WS row, so row 1 will also be a WS.

The markers are just to set off the edge sts so you do the entire row. You are not increasing sts here, but decreasing them; the CDD (centered double dec) offsets the YOs, and the p2tog/p2togtbl will dec the number.
http://www.freepatterns.com/list.html?cat_id=382 It is the "Denim Shell" Designed by Diane Zangl If you have anymore insights for me after viewing the sweater please send them to me.

Last edited by barb2 : 12-17-2010 at 12:57 PM. Reason: added new information
Old 12-17-2010, 02:38 PM   #7
suzeeq
Knit On!

Okay, that helps a great deal. You were working in Reverse stockinette, so the WS row would be a knit row. Keeping in rev st st, the next row is a purl on the RS, then you BO in knit on the WS and the following row will continue the rev st st pattern of purl on the RS and knit on the WS

Old 12-17-2010, 03:00 PM   #8
suzeeq
Knit On!

You don't have to make a new thread to post the pattern link, I saw this post first. So I'm going to delete the other two.

Old 12-17-2010, 10:04 PM   #9
barb2
Casting On

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Originally Posted by suzeeq View Post
You don't have to make a new thread to post the pattern link, I saw this post first. So I'm going to delete the other two.
Thank you so much again for all your help on my knitting and on how to use the forum. I really appreciate your help and promptness. It is amazing. I will be passing this site on to my knitting friends for sure.