Old 12-18-2010, 11:34 PM   #1
ewalker
1st Leg of the Journey

How-to Questions
I have just finished knitting a hat called "Ruffles" from Lisa Knits HT-002. I have been knitting for many years but I am doing something wrong. I have already frogged the hat once. The hat really does not look like the picture. When I begin the decreases my numbers do not correspond to those on the pattern.

I am willing to start over because this is for my granddaughter but I am not sure if it is me or the pattern.

Thanks
Forgot to mention that the LYS salesperson suggested I use a cotton yarn, the pattern suggests using a heavy worsted weight yarn. Think this is the problem?

Last edited by ewalker : 12-18-2010 at 11:51 PM. Reason: addition
ewalker is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 12-18-2010, 11:49 PM   #2
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Do you know what's not working out for you? Do you have too many sts, not enough stitches or something else?

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 11:53 PM   #3
ewalker
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by suzeeq View Post
Do you know what's not working out for you? Do you have too many sts, not enough stitches or something else?
Too few.

Forgot to mention the pattern suggested using heavy worsted weight and the LYS owner said a cotton thread would work.
Could that be the problem?
Old 12-19-2010, 12:19 AM   #4
suzeeq
Knit On!

If the cotton yarn is as thick as the worsted weight then that should be okay. If it's really crochet thread, they should be ashamed of themselves for telling you it would work, it's not the same at all.

So the hat is coming out too small, and yes if it's a cotton thread rather than cotton yarn, that's a big part of it. What's the yarn used in the pattern and what's the name of the cotton you're using?

Old 12-19-2010, 12:42 AM   #5
ewalker
1st Leg of the Journey

If the cotton yarn is as thick as the worsted weight then that should be okay. If it's really crochet thread, they should be ashamed of themselves for telling you it would work, it's not the same at all.

So the hat is coming out too small, and yes if it's a cotton thread rather than cotton yarn, that's a big part of it. What's the yarn used in the pattern and what's the name of the cotton you're using?
No the hat is too big. The yarn is Worsted Cotton by Blue Sky Alpacas.
Old 12-19-2010, 10:22 AM   #6
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanks, that helps. When you post a question, then please give us as much information as possible so we don't need to go through several posts to help you. And it prevents misunderstandings.

You would need to either use a smaller needle or less stitches. A hat needs to measure about an inch or two less than the head measurement. They stretch a lot and if you make a hat the same size as the head, it'll be too big. Here's a basic hat pattern that works with any yarn, any needle size as it uses the stitches per inch you get with your yarn and needle.

The Following User Says Thank You to suzeeq For This Useful Post:
ewalker (12-19-2010)
Old 12-19-2010, 05:49 PM   #7
ewalker
1st Leg of the Journey

Thanks, that helps. When you post a question, then please give us as much information as possible so we don't need to go through several posts to help you. And it prevents misunderstandings.

You would need to either use a smaller needle or less stitches. A hat needs to measure about an inch or two less than the head measurement. They stretch a lot and if you make a hat the same size as the head, it'll be too big. Here's a basic hat pattern that works with any yarn, any needle size as it uses the stitches per inch you get with your yarn and needle.
I believe I finally found my mistake, other than the fact that I needed smaller needles. Throughout the pattern the directions were given for size like so *5(7,11,16), repeat from* but when you start to decrease the directions were *(1,2,3,4,5) repeat from * and I was using the 1st number inside the parentheses when I should have used the 2nd to make the numbers come out correctly. I have frogged the hat and started again...time will tell if this is the correct way to read the pattern.
Old 12-19-2010, 07:47 PM   #8
suzeeq
Knit On!

Ahhh, making the wrong size for part of it, that would tend to mess things up a bit. Glad that you got it figured out.

The Following User Says Thank You to suzeeq For This Useful Post:
ewalker (12-19-2010)