Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2010, 11:34 PM   #1
ewalker
1st Leg of the Journey
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: GA
Posts: 174
Thanks: 22
Thanked 58 Times in 55 Posts
How-to Questions
I have just finished knitting a hat called "Ruffles" from Lisa Knits HT-002. I have been knitting for many years but I am doing something wrong. I have already frogged the hat once. The hat really does not look like the picture. When I begin the decreases my numbers do not correspond to those on the pattern.

I am willing to start over because this is for my granddaughter but I am not sure if it is me or the pattern.

Thanks
Forgot to mention that the LYS salesperson suggested I use a cotton yarn, the pattern suggests using a heavy worsted weight yarn. Think this is the problem?
__________________
ElaineW

Last edited by ewalker : 12-18-2010 at 11:51 PM. Reason: addition
ewalker is offline   Reply With Quote

 

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 12-18-2010, 11:49 PM   #2
suzeeq
Knit On!
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Montana
Posts: 27,765
Thanks: 160
Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Do you know what's not working out for you? Do you have too many sts, not enough stitches or something else?
__________________
sue- knitting heretic

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 11:53 PM   #3
ewalker
1st Leg of the Journey
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: GA
Posts: 174
Thanks: 22
Thanked 58 Times in 55 Posts
Originally Posted by suzeeq View Post
Do you know what's not working out for you? Do you have too many sts, not enough stitches or something else?
Too few.

Forgot to mention the pattern suggested using heavy worsted weight and the LYS owner said a cotton thread would work.
Could that be the problem?
__________________
ElaineW
ewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 12:19 AM   #4
suzeeq
Knit On!
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Montana
Posts: 27,765
Thanks: 160
Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
If the cotton yarn is as thick as the worsted weight then that should be okay. If it's really crochet thread, they should be ashamed of themselves for telling you it would work, it's not the same at all.

So the hat is coming out too small, and yes if it's a cotton thread rather than cotton yarn, that's a big part of it. What's the yarn used in the pattern and what's the name of the cotton you're using?
__________________
sue- knitting heretic

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 12:42 AM   #5
ewalker
1st Leg of the Journey
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: GA
Posts: 174
Thanks: 22
Thanked 58 Times in 55 Posts
Originally Posted by suzeeq View Post
If the cotton yarn is as thick as the worsted weight then that should be okay. If it's really crochet thread, they should be ashamed of themselves for telling you it would work, it's not the same at all.

So the hat is coming out too small, and yes if it's a cotton thread rather than cotton yarn, that's a big part of it. What's the yarn used in the pattern and what's the name of the cotton you're using?
No the hat is too big. The yarn is Worsted Cotton by Blue Sky Alpacas.
__________________
ElaineW
ewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 10:22 AM   #6
suzeeq
Knit On!
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Montana
Posts: 27,765
Thanks: 160
Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Thanks, that helps. When you post a question, then please give us as much information as possible so we don't need to go through several posts to help you. And it prevents misunderstandings.

You would need to either use a smaller needle or less stitches. A hat needs to measure about an inch or two less than the head measurement. They stretch a lot and if you make a hat the same size as the head, it'll be too big. Here's a basic hat pattern that works with any yarn, any needle size as it uses the stitches per inch you get with your yarn and needle.
__________________
sue- knitting heretic

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to suzeeq For This Useful Post:
ewalker (12-19-2010)
Old 12-19-2010, 05:49 PM   #7
ewalker
1st Leg of the Journey
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: GA
Posts: 174
Thanks: 22
Thanked 58 Times in 55 Posts
Originally Posted by suzeeq View Post
Thanks, that helps. When you post a question, then please give us as much information as possible so we don't need to go through several posts to help you. And it prevents misunderstandings.

You would need to either use a smaller needle or less stitches. A hat needs to measure about an inch or two less than the head measurement. They stretch a lot and if you make a hat the same size as the head, it'll be too big. Here's a basic hat pattern that works with any yarn, any needle size as it uses the stitches per inch you get with your yarn and needle.
I believe I finally found my mistake, other than the fact that I needed smaller needles. Throughout the pattern the directions were given for size like so *5(7,11,16), repeat from* but when you start to decrease the directions were *(1,2,3,4,5) repeat from * and I was using the 1st number inside the parentheses when I should have used the 2nd to make the numbers come out correctly. I have frogged the hat and started again...time will tell if this is the correct way to read the pattern.
__________________
ElaineW
ewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 07:47 PM   #8
suzeeq
Knit On!
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Montana
Posts: 27,765
Thanks: 160
Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Ahhh, making the wrong size for part of it, that would tend to mess things up a bit. Glad that you got it figured out.
__________________
sue- knitting heretic

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to suzeeq For This Useful Post:
ewalker (12-19-2010)
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
YO questions Fantine How-to Questions 6 08-10-2008 09:43 AM
2 questions :( hob Pattern Central 7 07-23-2007 09:07 AM
Hat questions cookworm General Knitting 4 12-04-2006 12:31 PM
I have 2 more questions! razydor How-to Questions 1 06-16-2006 04:23 PM
yes,more questions samantha How-to Questions 1 03-14-2006 08:10 PM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:53 PM.