Old 12-21-2010, 06:28 AM   #1
hw13
Ribbing the Cuff

Knitting Groups?
Being a complete rookie when it comes to knitting (I haven't even bought needles yet ) I am learning so much already.
I've been watching the videos like a crazy person and it does make sense to me. What worries me is reading patterns. It all just looks like secret code to me. LOL

Anyways, I've found out about a group of knitters that get together in my neighbourhood. I think it would be a great way to meet friends and gain knowledge, but I don't know how to go about joining them. I feel kind of uncomfortable, like I would be forcing my way into a group of friends. Its not like joining a forum which is so easy to jump into.

Should I wait until I have finished a few projects and have have some sort of idea of what I am doing?
Should I just go when I know that they are meeting?
Am I going to look like a complete moron?

For any of you that are in groups, how did you go about joining? Or better yet, how do you feel about noobies joining you?
hw13 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 12-21-2010, 09:58 AM   #2
cacunn
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,103 Times in 826 Posts
As a member of a knitting group we are always open to new members. Often knitting is an excuse to get together and socialize, with most if not all of us knitting through the night.

We are open to helping beginners and as a group one of us seems to know the answer to what ever question comes up.

If the group meets in a public place stop by and introduce your self. If you can find a current member talk to them about joining in.

If you ask to join one of two things will happen, 1) you will be asked to join, or 2) you won't be asked.

cacunn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cacunn For This Useful Post:
hw13 (12-21-2010)
Old 12-21-2010, 10:08 AM   #3
kmaclean
Turning the Heel

I agree with Cancunn!

Since you seem to know when/where they meet, I'm assuming it's a public place (if it's not, then you might have to take the approach of speaking to a current member in order to be invited to the next get-together). Just stop by and introduce yourself ... show an interest in knitting and in the group and you'll likely get an invitation to pull up a chair.

If you're met with an unwelcoming response (which I wouldn't expect, but who knows) then in my opinion they're not the kind of people you want to be around anyways!

It's one of those things where if you don't go ahead and give it a try you might be losing out on something great, but if you do try and it doesn't work out then you haven't really lost anything at all!

Let us know how it goes!
kmaclean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 11:57 AM   #4
CoolWool
1st Leg of the Journey

Hi hw. I know where you're coming from. I'm a beginner and would love to join a group. But I figure they all know each other and I would be intruding. It might help if you go with someone the first time. Beg a close friend to go to the first meeting with you. Show them how to cast on and garter stitch a scarf or something so you have someone to talk to and then just kind of feel the group out. I taught my step-daughter how to knit a scarf (which she's been working on for about three months now... lol) and I've already told her that I'm going to drag her to my first knitting group meeting.

Side note - - I've only been to the lamest yarn stores in town (craft stores) because I'm too nervous to go to the specialty shop. Again, I picture some chick behind the counter, looking me up and down, and laughing when I ask stupid questions. In reality, they'll probably be pretty cool if I could just make myself go IN THERE.

Anyway - - if you do go, let us know how it went! And good luck!
CoolWool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 12:10 PM   #5
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,797 Times in 7,157 Posts
I was nervous when I first joined my group, but I can't imagine not having them now. We meet every Friday night at my LYS.

Speaking for my group I can say no one minds helping each other out and we do, but it is our free time to socialize and knit so I recommend taking a class to get you started, too.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 12:25 PM   #6
cacunn
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,103 Times in 826 Posts
Originally Posted by CoolWool View Post
Side note - - I've only been to the lamest yarn stores in town (craft stores) because I'm too nervous to go to the specialty shop. Again, I picture some chick behind the counter, looking me up and down, and laughing when I ask stupid questions. In reality, they'll probably be pretty cool if I could just make myself go IN THERE.
If you go into a LYS and they look you up and down and laugh, look them in the eye and say "You just lost $200 in sales for the year not counting my friends who will never come back to this store." Turn and walk out. At all stores you are in control of your spending and therefore the stores profit. If any store doesn't treat you, the customer, with respect should not be in business.

However, the vast majority of LYS know what it is like to be a beginner, they have been there and done that. If business is slow they will sit down with you and help you with any problem you have. The yarn may cost more than the big box craft stores but it is also of higher quality. And the staff should also be of higher quality and more able and willing to help.

Go to your LYS, when asked if they can help you tell them you are a beginner and need a lot of help, I'll bet they will be glad to help.

cacunn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cacunn For This Useful Post:
CoolWool (12-21-2010)
Old 12-21-2010, 01:38 PM   #7
kmaclean
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by cacunn View Post
If you go into a LYS and they look you up and down and laugh, look them in the eye and say "You just lost $200 in sales for the year not counting my friends who will never come back to this store." Turn and walk out. At all stores you are in control of your spending and therefore the stores profit. If any store doesn't treat you, the customer, with respect should not be in business.
Agreed!

As for Jan's suggestion about taking a class ... that would be a great idea too! It would help you master the basics, plus introduce you to new people who are at a similar skill level to you.

Members of a knitting group will likely be happy to answer questions for you, but you probably shouldn't rely on them for heavy instruction (as Jan said, it's their free time too!). Perhaps look at the knitting group more as a social activity that includes your knitting hobby.
kmaclean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 10:38 PM   #8
hw13
Ribbing the Cuff

I actually have been looking into a class. I just haven't been able to find anything close enough to home.

I think my plan right now is to start on my own & once I get working on that scarf, worry about joining a group.
hw13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 10:52 AM   #9
knitcindy
Turning the Heel

Our local library has a beginner's knitting class once a week. You could check at the library near you to see what they offer in terms of classes/groups.

HTH, knitcindy
knitcindy is offline   Reply With Quote