Old 12-24-2010, 04:12 PM   #1
alleyapple
Casting On

Phentex Yarn Weight
I just acquired quite a bit of Phentex yarn, I see the fingering weight is thin, the sport weight is thick but can anyone tell me about Motion Weight, what is it primarily used for in knitting projects?
Thanks!
Dianna (alleyapple)
alleyapple is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 12-24-2010, 04:44 PM   #2
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Is there a gauge and needle size on the label? Sometimes that can be a clue as to which weight.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 05:13 PM   #3
alleyapple
Casting On

Originally Posted by suzeeq View Post
Is there a gauge and needle size on the label? Sometimes that can be a clue as to which weight.
That is what is so strange, there is nothing, I did notice that the Fingering Weight is 2 ply and the Sport Weight is 3 ply and the Motion Weight by comparison seems to be thicker so maybe it is 4 ply?
Old 12-24-2010, 05:30 PM   #4
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
The plys just refer to how many strands in the yarn. In the ply weight system, 2 ply would be lace, 3 ply heavy lace/lt fingering and 4 ply a fingering weight. A worsted weight is heavier than a sport weight.

The only references I can find call it a machine knitting yarn. Best thing to do would be to take some size 8s and knit it, see if it's the same as other worsteds. If it seems thin, then use some 6s and see how it compares to sport or fingering yarn.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 05:37 PM   #5
alleyapple
Casting On

Originally Posted by suzeeq View Post
The plys just refer to how many strands in the yarn. In the ply weight system, 2 ply would be lace, 3 ply heavy lace/lt fingering and 4 ply a fingering weight. A worsted weight is heavier than a sport weight.

The only references I can find call it a machine knitting yarn. Best thing to do would be to take some size 8s and knit it, see if it's the same as other worsteds. If it seems thin, then use some 6s and see how it compares to sport or fingering yarn.
I looked in a book called Valuable Knitting Information and it did give me this information (guess I should of done this first)
apparently it is worsted weight, gauge is 5/1 needle - 7. Thanks so much for your additional help!