Old 12-29-2010, 02:35 PM   #1
suki
Casting On

help with kids kitty cat hat please!
My friend knit my daughter this awesome hat based on a pattern from the 60's or 70's I believe - it's called the pussy cat hat. It's such a great hat, but she's ready for the next size up and I'm trying to figure it out.

Parts of it are confusing to me - can someone help with this part:
There are 114 stitches on the needle. Cast off 45 stitches beginning next two rows.

Does this mean cast off 45 stitches, then knit until the end of the row, then on the next row cast off 45 stitches and knit again until the end of the row?

And the next part is also confusing to me:
Working on remaining stitches continue in stocking st decreasing 1 st each end of needle on 9th, then every following 4th row to 12 stitches on needle.

I would call myself a beginner knitter, and this part is just a bit confusing to me, I'd appreciate any help! Thanks in advance!
suki is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 12-29-2010, 04:36 PM   #2
kmaclean
Turning the Heel

You said that the pattern is from the 1960s or 1970s, so I'm guessing that there isn't a link to the pattern online?

Based on what you've described, it seems relatively straight forward though ... the way I read it:

1) Yes, you are right .... this means that you cast off 45 stitches at the beginning of the row, then knit to the end of the row. On the next row, you cast off 45 stitches again and then knit to the end of the row.

2) Now, using the stitches that you have left, you continue knitting in Stockinette Stitch (which I assume you have been doing already). From this point, you will need to keep track of how many rows you have knit. After you have finished #1 above, you will knit 8 rows in Stockinette, then on the 9th row you decrease 1 stitch at the beginning and end of each row (if they don't specify how you should decrease then a simple K2TOG should be fine). Now, you'll want to repeat this "decrease row" every 4th row (so knit 3 rows, then do a decrease row) until you have 12 stitches left on your needles.

Hopefully this clears things up a little bit for you ... if you're still unclear let us know what part is troubling you and I'm sure someone can help!

Good luck!

Last edited by kmaclean : 12-30-2010 at 11:01 AM.
kmaclean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 05:02 PM   #3
suki
Casting On

Thanks - that definitely does help - I guess I just need clearer descriptions, or maybe I'm just new so it just wasn't clear to me. Your explanation was very clear - thanks.

I actually just found a link online- it was posted on craftster:
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=5189.0

It's super cute, and keeps my daughters ears and neck warm.
I hope I'm allowed to post the link - tell me if I've crossed a line!

thanks again!
suki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 11:00 AM   #4
kmaclean
Turning the Heel

Glad that I was able to help ... sometimes just having someone confirm that you're understanding something properly is all you need!

Thanks for sharing the link to the pattern .... that hat is too cute!

You're always welcome to share links to patterns that are available online ... in fact it's often encouraged when you're asking questions since it usually makes it easier for people to help you when they can read the whole thing for themselves. If the pattern isn't available online (say, it's in a book that you purchased) then you can type out a few lines of the pattern that you're having trouble with, but don't type out the whole pattern ... that would be a copywright infringement.
kmaclean is offline   Reply With Quote