Old 12-30-2010, 01:11 AM   #11
crazykntter83
Turning the Heel

Send a message via Yahoo to crazykntter83
Yeah, that's the cast on that my father taught me how to do, and I haven't learned any others since. I like it bc it is so simple to do. But now that I think about it, when I first started many many moons ago, I did have a few extra stitches, that I didn't even realize were extra stitches then lol.

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 12-30-2010, 10:28 AM   #12
Breezed
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to Breezed
Youtube.com is your best friend for learning just about anything because if you don't like 1 video, you just pick another until you find the one that you understand.

I started learning to knit a few months ago by only watching videos on Youtube.com and the videos on this forum, at the top of the page. Those were the 2 best resources for me. Looking at static pictures in a book doesn't work for me. I need to see it in action.

Breezed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 02:00 PM   #13
crazykntter83
Turning the Heel

Send a message via Yahoo to crazykntter83
Oh I know what you mean. I never really got a lot of the stitches that the books talked about until I actually saw them being done. The one instance that videos still managed to confuse me was on the purl stitch. It took me hours of concentrating and looking at videos and at what the books said, and finally just working at it. Then finally something just clicked in my mind what I was doing wrong with the stitch. It took me 9 years to finally get that crazy purl stitch down, btw. The best advice that I can give with any stitches that you may struggle with is to not give up. Just keep trying and you WILL get it....even if it takes you 9 years like me lol.
Old 12-30-2010, 09:55 PM   #14
mnstuebs
Casting On

About a year ago, I decided to teach myself how to knit. The first thing I did was go to the library and get "knitting for dummies" and read the entire thing. It was a little helpful and increased my knowledge about knitting but it didn't really help me with how to knit because I'm a visual learner. So a friend sent me a little Kit filled with yarn, stitch markers and helpful hints. And told me to come here. I've watched these videos thousands of times and have signed up free on ravelry, and have successfully learned to knit and read non charted patterns (those still confuse me). And I learn as I go and choose each pattern. I've mostly done simple patterns, but I enjoy knitting very much and think you have come to the right place. Start with cheap yarn, Walmart now carries that Caron simply soft and it's wonderful to begin on. And needles are simply whatever you prefer. I prefer the bamboo so I went on ebay and bought large sets of all sizes for pretty cheap on there. Eventually as I get better I might purchase better quality ones, but these ones have worked well for me over a year.

Good luck!! This is by far my most visited site or reference on how to do most anything to do with knitting So thanks much to this site!
mnstuebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 10:10 PM   #15
hw13
Ribbing the Cuff

Originally Posted by suzeeq View Post
If you purl every st on every row, you'll get garter stitch, just like when you knit every st on every row. If you mean to alternate a row of knits with a row of purls that's fine, but you need to do the first few rows and the first and last 4 or 5 sts in garter st to keep it from curling up on you.
I know it will still be garter stitch. Its just for me to get used to the stitches separately before I start mixing & matching. I'm using a completely different type of yarn for this second one so it still looks very different.
hw13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 12:27 AM   #16
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
That's fine then, a lot of people are surprised when they practice the purls and it comes out the same as knitting all of them.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote