Old 01-01-2011, 09:07 PM   #41
sgtpam
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by RuthieinMaryland View Post
Hi!

Anyway, this peanut gallery member really likes homespun!

Happy knitting,
Ruthie
You are not alone, fellow peanut... I don't think we're the ONLY 2 who like it, Ruthie....but we certainly are the minority; How can you not like how soft this is and, honestly, who could resist making another blanket with it when you get a reaction like this
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	Purple Blankie.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	24.4 KB
ID:	55084  

sgtpam is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sgtpam For This Useful Post:
RuthieinMaryland (01-03-2011)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-02-2011, 12:05 PM   #42
Breezed
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to Breezed
I really enjoy using Homespun. My very first project was knit with Homespun because I didn't know the difference. It was quite frustrating and complicated at times because I didn't even know how to knit! I think this is why I don't have any of the problems now every one mentions because I conquered knitting & Homespun together.

Breezed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 11:04 PM   #43
knitcindy
Turning the Heel

The only time I actually LIKE using LB Homespun is when I am using needles size 13 and over!!!

I have made afghans using 4 strands of Homespun together on size 50 needles and a lap blanket using 2 strands with size 19 needles.

My experience with Homespun is to use BIG needles with more than 1 strand. Anything else results in tangles or split yarn!!!
knitcindy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to knitcindy For This Useful Post:
RuthieinMaryland (01-03-2011)
Old 01-03-2011, 12:18 AM   #44
RuthieinMaryland
Turning the Heel

Location: I live on the Eastern Shore of Maryland - GREAT steamed crab country! :o)
Yay, Pam!
Hi!

FINALLY another knitter who really likes LB Homespun!!!!!! And who has a gorgeous little model for the afghan!

One of the two afghans I made (with crochet) was for my favorite cousin. He works long, long hours as a Physician's Assistant at Johns Hopkins and most nights in the winter when he gets home he's both tired and half frozen.

His mom told me that he just rolls up in that afghan and it's so cozy he warms up right away and really relaxes.

I kept the other one and consider it my "magic blanket". As soon as I put it over me I relax so completely that it's easy to just drift off to sleep. I've missed the middle of a lot of movies that way!

I share it with my husband sometimes. I made one for him out of Lion Brand chenille but he likes the homespun one best so we alternate!

Gals and guys, this is really a yarn you might want to try out again using the appropriate needles and working loosely. You might find you're missing out on a good thing!

Happy knitting,

Ruthie

PS - Lion Brand Yarn Company is NOT paying me for this endorsement!
sgtpam (01-03-2011)
Old 01-31-2011, 12:39 PM   #45
fatoldladyinpjs
Working the Gusset

I'm not a fan of homespun either. The few skeins I do have are either going to the thrift store donations or I'll knit cat blankets for my kitties to sleep on. They're the only ones who seem to like it.
fatoldladyinpjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 02:36 PM   #46
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,750 Times in 7,120 Posts
Originally Posted by sgtpam View Post
How can you not like how soft this is and, honestly, who could resist making another blanket with it when you get a reaction like this
I DO like how soft it is, but I want my beautiful stitches and effort to show and they don't in Homespun. I also find it harder to knit with in general. I won't use it again.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 04:31 PM   #47
Jaxhil
Working the Gusset

Hmm, what an interesting thread! I personally have used Homespun for 3 afghans, and all 3 are *well* loved and have held up nicely for years. I made my 6'2" hubby one using a large basket-weave design with a garter stitch border with doubled yarn in a lovely woodsy brown shade ( I can't recall what color way) and he absolutely adores it. It literally took me over a year because it is HUGE and heavy, but its his favorite cuddle-up nap blankie..and when I'm really cold its also my favorite . I also crocheted one in green shades (it was "Crochet a Cozy Afghan" from the Complete Idiot's Guide to Knitting and Crocheting) using triple strands of Homespun and a GIANT size Q hook that only took like 4 days to finish~gotta love that! And my sister does-she says her and DH fight over it, lol! And finally I made a garter stitch square afghan for my DD using country red (I so love that color!) and it is soft and lovely.

I also made DSis a scarf from it in red and she was wearing it the last time she came for a visit and said how much she likes it.

So although I can't say I love this yarn, I do really like it for certain things, and the receipiants seem to like it as well. My Mom has used it to make afghans for me ( a log cabin with all the leftover and orphan colors I had in my stash and was wanting to use up) and my DD (same colors different pattern) as well as afghans for 2 of my sons.

I can't say that I'll go out of my way to buy it again, but I don't really have trouble with it, as long as I use big needles and weave in those ends for about 2 miles