Old 01-02-2011, 11:02 PM   #11
MindySue19
Casting On

Oh My Goodness! When I picked out this pattern it didn't seem this tough! ...but I'm halfway done, and after this I'll know a lot of the basic essentials!

Can someone help me clear this up?

The next part of this pattern reads as follows:
"K16. Inc 1 st in next st. K4. Include 1 st in next st. Knit to end of row. Knit 3 rows even. Cont in this manner, inc 2 sts on next and following 4th rows until there are 48 sts. Knit 1 row even."

Sooo, the fisrt row (not actually the 1st, but the 1st in this part of the pattern) I understand. Then I just do a garter st for the next 3, right? But then it gets a little confusing...

row 1; knit with instructed increases.
row 2; knit
row 3; knit
row 4; knit
row 5;
row 6;
row 7;
to row ?;
(2nd to last) row ?; when finished, will have 48 sts
last row; knit

can someone help me with this please?
What do I do for all those rows that I'm lost in?
The rows that I DO have written, are they correct?

H-E-L-P!!!
MindySue19 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-02-2011, 11:38 PM   #12
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Increase on row 1, knit 3 rows, increas on rows 5, 9, 13, etc, until you have 48 sts.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to suzeeq For This Useful Post:
MindySue19 (01-02-2011)
Old 01-03-2011, 01:58 AM   #13
MindySue19
Casting On

Alrighty-o ...I'm done the majority of the things I had underlined in this pattern. But, there are a few more to go. So help with the following'd be GREAT!;

"NEXT ROW: K29. TURN. Cast on 1 st. K14 (including st on needle after cast on). TURN. Cont on these 14 sts for thumb."

When they say turn? Do I turn my work or my needle(s), or both?
How do I cast on in the middle of a project? Don't you need a long un-attached yarn for that?

Quote:
K14 (including st on needle after cast on).
does this mean I include the newly casted on st? Or the st directly following the newly casted on st?

Is there anything else you think would help if it was explained to me about this row? If so, that would be muchly appreciated as well!
I understand everything BEFORE the first "TURN" as well as everything AFTER the second "TURN". The two turns (and almost everything in between, I am not too sure about...)

Thanks again for any and all help!

Sincerely,
Mindy_Sue
MindySue19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 07:30 AM   #14
Shandeh
Sock Yarn Bliss

Thanked 2,842 Times in 1,907 Posts
Originally Posted by MindySue19 View Post
"NEXT ROW: K29. TURN. Cast on 1 st. K14 (including st on needle after cast on). TURN. Cont on these 14 sts for thumb."
When they say turn? Do I turn my work or my needle(s), or both?
How do I cast on in the middle of a project? Don't you need a long un-attached yarn for that?
When it's time to "turn", you just stop knitting that row, leaving the rest of the stitches unworked. Then turn around the needle that has the stitches you just knit and start working the other way on that needle. (You'll get back to the other stitches later.)

To cast on that one stitch, just do a "knitted cast on" at the beginning of that section.
YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Shandeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 10:45 AM   #15
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
I wrote an answer to this last night, guess it didn't get posted...

You turn just as if you were at the end of a row. Then CO 1 by knitting into the first st on the L needle, but leave it there and put the new st on the needle too. Then knit 14 including the new stitch. You just work on these 14 sts for the thumb, then you'll get back to the others.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote