Old 01-02-2011, 08:14 PM   #1
hellokitty876
Casting On

Beginner Knitter Question?
I am new to knitting as I just starting teachng myself yesterday. I know how to cast on and have mastered that. I completed my first row and I attempted my second row. It looked horrible and way too loose. I don't know why it looked so loose when I was pulling it as tight as I could. Anybody who can help me here would be very much appreciated!!! Thanks
hellokitty876 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-02-2011, 08:34 PM   #2
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,797 Times in 7,157 Posts
No...don't pull it tight. Your stitches could be loose because you have bigger needles than the yarn calls for OR you just naturally knit looser. It doesn't matter when you're learning. Just keep knitting and your tension will get better as you practice.

Welcome to Knitting Help!

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jan in CA For This Useful Post:
hellokitty876 (01-02-2011)
Old 01-02-2011, 08:35 PM   #3
hellokitty876
Casting On

I am using 4ply worsted weight yarn ..brand name peaches and cream. My needles are 8mm, although the yarn said I needed 7mm. I am not trying to make anything, just learn and master the stitches right now. I only have the 8mm needles as it came with an old kit of mine I've had for awhile. Do I need to go buy 7mm? Why would my rows be so loose when I thought I was pulling pretty tight?

I hope I have given enough information. Thanks for any help.
Old 01-02-2011, 08:42 PM   #4
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,797 Times in 7,157 Posts
8mm is a US 11 I think.. the 7mm would be a 10.5, but either one is large for worsted weight yarn unless you want a lacy look. However, to practice learning the stitch it doesn't really make a difference. Normally you'd use about 4.5-5.5 mm for worsted weight yarn.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jan in CA For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2011, 08:58 PM   #5
hellokitty876
Casting On

can you explain to me why the yarn says size 7 needle for knitting and the pattern printed on the inside says the same thing? If that's to big for that yarn, I am confused. Thanks for all your help!!!
Old 01-02-2011, 09:00 PM   #6
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Now, when you say you're on the 2nd row, do you mean the row after you Cast on? That's really row 1, the cast isn't counted as a row. If you used the backward loop for the CO, then that's probably why your sts are so loose, it does that. Use the knit or cable cast on instead.

The yarn is normally used with a US size 7 which is 4.5mm. Are your needles really 8mm or a US 8? Most kits come with US size 8s, so that's okay. If they are 8mm, that's why your sts are loose. It's okay to practice with large needles on this yarn, you'll get an open lacey stitch. And if they're US 8s, the problem is something else (like the cast on I mentioned).

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to suzeeq For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2011, 09:04 PM   #7
hellokitty876
Casting On

I meant I did the cast on row, then my first row, and was attempting a second row. I have been doing my cast on by making a loop on my finger and then inserting it on the needle. I saw it on a video tutorial somewhere online. My needle says on the bottom boye 11 8mm.

OMG, I know I'm not supposed say I'm stupid on here, but um err.. lol... I obviously can't read my needles because my needle is not a size 8 but a size 11..8mm!! That's probably my problem. :P
Old 01-02-2011, 09:34 PM   #8
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,244 Times in 1,838 Posts
First off, I'd suggest that you learn a different cast-on technique. The backward loop method isn't the best.

A needles number and it's actual size don't have any correlation. A US size 7 needle is 4.5 mm, for example, and they go up and down from there. So if a yarn suggests a particular size needle, it's not the same as the mm size of the needle.

Peaches n Cream is a cotton yarn, so that might add to the feeling that you're not getting what you're expecting.

I'd suggest for learning that you invest in a size 8 needle to use with worsted weight yarn.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ingrid For This Useful Post:
Old 01-03-2011, 08:28 PM   #9
TrueIconoclast
1st Leg of the Journey

I agree with Jan in CA

I had the same problem as you when I first started knitting, and the three reasons I put to blame were:

1) I was pulling the yarn tight after I made my knit, which caused the string between the two needles to get longer and longer

2) I wasn't knitting my piece long enough to let those first stitches even themselves out (and don't worry, they do eventually look a little less unruly)

AND

3) My first rows still always come out a little lose, I think it might have to do with the cast on.

These may or may not be the culprit of the problem you're experiencing, just my opinion. Hope it helps
; and if nothing else it should help you rule out what's NOT the problem lol

"Absolute power corrupts absolutely." - John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton
http://www.ravelry.com/people/TrueIconoclast

TrueIconoclast is offline   Reply With Quote