Old 01-07-2011, 07:15 PM   #1
Gspice
Ribbing the Cuff

Shawl Questions
Okay this may sound like a stupid question (even no question is a stupid question, teehee.) Anyways, with the weather being cold and I for once am feeling the coldness.

Anyways onto the question. I am seeing these shawls with the middles, and than borders mention. I am a lil lost are the shawls knitted into two pieces and seamed in the middle or knitted to look like they were done in two pieces.

And the boards, is that the flat part of the shawl (where it goes around the neck. Or is that along all three sides?

I am trying to understand the charts I get that you go from the bottom right side and go from right to left and left to right. But its the middle and borders that are confusing me just reading the charts or even the directions.

Hope someone can help answer this confusing question.
Gspice is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-07-2011, 07:56 PM   #2
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
They're knit in one piece from the top down, similar to a raglan, or 'half' a raglan. You begin with something like 7 sts say - 2 edge sts, 1 for the first section, 1 for the center st, 1 for the 2nd section and 2 edge sts. Each RS row incs 4 sts - just inside the edge sts at the beg and end and one on either side of the center stitch. The cast on and sides of the row form the top edge, the sts on the needle will be the bottom edge where you sometimes knit a border pattern.

This article and free pattern explains it a little better. And you do follow a chart from R to L on the RS rows and usually it's plain purl or knit on the WS which might not be charted. Some charts only show half from the edge to the center st, then you either repeat the row again or reverse it, reading from L to R, but it should say what to do in the text pattern.

Last edited by suzeeq : 01-08-2011 at 09:41 AM.
suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 06:33 AM   #3
hyperactive
Working the Gusset

jump right in. Just chose an easy pattern (probably not tooo huge a pice and a visible structure that you can groove yourself in with) and follow the pattern. It will all come out, really.

I have been away from the forum for a bit, but I am still around!
hyperactive is offline   Reply With Quote