Old 01-12-2011, 02:37 PM   #6691
LStetz
Casting On

Knitting for the very first time
hello

my name is Lisa, I bought my first started kit called I taught myself knitting by boye, I also got a dvd.

i have not been able to find a class for beginners.

I live in hamilton NJ and maybe i can come across someone that know this area.

Lisa
LStetz is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-12-2011, 03:42 PM   #6692
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Hi Lisa, and Welcome! Look through the video section, many people have learned to knit by watching them. On the Tips pages there's a Demo of a small project which shows how to put the individual things (cast on, knitting rows, purling rows and binding off) together to make a small item. You can practice for a while with some yarn and the needles you have.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 03:52 PM   #6693
LStetz
Casting On

starting out
Originally Posted by suzeeq View Post
Hi Lisa, and Welcome! Look through the video section, many people have learned to knit by watching them. On the Tips pages there's a Demo of a small project which shows how to put the individual things (cast on, knitting rows, purling rows and binding off) together to make a small item. You can practice for a while with some yarn and the needles you have.
Dear Sue:

so how do i know that the starter kit i have is the correct on, or is that the one you are speaking of? or one on this list, i did read do not go smaller then size 8 with the dvd that i also got which did not come with the starter kit, it said that you want to start with a bigger needle, i have a 6 and a 8 needle the roll of yarn i did get is cron, one pound 4 ply is the wirstd weight,

no Dye lot yard, so is this ok?

Lisa
Old 01-12-2011, 04:33 PM   #6694
suzeeq
Knit On!

There is no 'correct' starter kit or needle size or yarn, really. A size 8 needle will be fine with the Caron yarn. I might have suggested a larger needle because it's easier to learn with bigger stitches but you can do fine with the 8 and don't need a bigger one. Just don't pull tight on the sts when you make them and you'll be okay.

Old 01-12-2011, 05:54 PM   #6695
cair
Ribbing the Cuff

Beginner Knitter
I'm just learning... actually, my mom began teaching me... so I do know just the beginnings of knitting. When she passed, I decided not to let the small knowledge I have disappear, so I began taking private knitting classes. I looked for a class in my area... nothing! Now, I go to the site for everything and I did purchase a video, but I need that one on one... I do use youtube for some guidance.
You knitters out there, keep it going... I wish I could just pick up a phone and call someone to help me. The directions for most of you are probably so easy- but boy, do I.
So, I do know I'm a continental knitter... and can do the basics... but I'm hungry for more. Hopefully, you can help me out .... Please don't laugh at my mundane questions.... They stump me and need a lot of help. So, knitters..... "Back at you!"
cair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 06:17 PM   #6696
LStetz
Casting On

the starter kit that i have
There is no 'correct' starter kit or needle size or yarn, really. A size 8 needle will be fine with the Caron yarn. I might have suggested a larger needle because it's easier to learn with bigger stitches but you can do fine with the 8 and don't need a bigger one. Just don't pull tight on the sts when you make them and you'll be okay.
The starter kit that i did get have a size 6 and 8, so it is ok to use a size 8, any other size needles should I get? and just to make sure the yarn i got, is fine as well?

from the one thing i read is the bigger the needle and type of yarn can make a big diffrence for a beginner.

thanks for the help

Lisa
Old 01-12-2011, 06:41 PM   #6697
suzeeq
Knit On!

Yes, you can start with the yarn and size 8 needles. Whether you want to get other sizes will depend on what you want to make. So after you practice a little, then you can look at other things you want to try and if they call for anything else than size 8 or 6, or a worsted weight yarn (that's what the Caron's is) then you can get them as you need to.

Old 01-12-2011, 09:38 PM   #6698
LStetz
Casting On

starting out
Yes, you can start with the yarn and size 8 needles. Whether you want to get other sizes will depend on what you want to make. So after you practice a little, then you can look at other things you want to try and if they call for anything else than size 8 or 6, or a worsted weight yarn (that's what the Caron's is) then you can get them as you need to.
Dear Sue:

Thank you so much for your help, I also noticed if i look at to many diffrent books, video etc, i can see where one would get a little confused, I did like the one on this site.

Lisa
Old 01-15-2011, 09:30 AM   #6699
Shandeh
Sock Yarn Bliss

Thanked 2,842 Times in 1,907 Posts
Welcome to the KH Forum, everyone!

Originally Posted by LStetz View Post
...so how do i know that the starter kit i have is the correct on, or is that the one you are speaking of?
Sue was recommending that you watch Amy's videos on our website here. Just go to the top of this webpage, and you'll see "Free Videos". Click that, and you'll find lots of videos for different knitting techniques.
Shandeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 12:31 AM   #6700
rabarth
Casting On

I began knitting with the new year and I've fallen absolutely in love with it. I own tons of store bought scarves, and being able to make my own gives me great satisfaction. I taught myself with youtube videos but with every new project I was wanting for more interaction. This site is exactly what I've been searching for
rabarth is offline   Reply With Quote