Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-15-2011, 11:11 AM   #1
Breezed
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to Breezed
Unemployed, back to college, and random gibberish.
I quit my really good paying IT job about a year ago. I was there nearly 10 years and loved my job. It's a very long, sad story about why I quit but it was necessary for my own well being. But like most people right now, jobs are very hard to come by. I am lucky to be in a situation where I am living OK without worrying about money as long as I don't go crazy shopping which isn't a problem because I HATE shopping except online (amazon.com is my best friend).

So, now I have an opportunity to do what I want most. I will be 36 next month and decided to go back to college!!! I know it's never too late or never too old but it's hard.

I have to point out I am lucky to have a very supportive boyfriend who encourages me to do what I love and he is always here to give me that little push when I can't seem to move forward. He is an active firefighter/paramedic, he owns his own online business, we are also doing web design for small businesses and individuals which may be a 2nd full online business soon, and he takes online college courses to help advance his firefighter career and pay scale too. He is one motivated man. He still finds time and energy for all these things AND he plays hockey and he races mini-carts and he makes his own bio-diesel and processes veggy oil that is used as alternative fuel for his car. Serious, I don't make this up. I aspire to be more like him, although I'm not nearly as motivated as he is. I like to sit and read, sit and knit, and sit and play video games.

I digress.

This is my first semester back in school in 12 years. Wow, I am scared. I already have science degrees but those are basically useless since what I want to do is in the arts dept. I want to get my B.A. in English followed by Library Science which requires a Masters degree. Yes, my life long dream is to be a librarian. Most people look at me like I'm stupid when I say that. I love books, I love reading, and I love getting others to read, learn, and enjoy it.

I started classes this past week. I may regret this but I am taking 3 writing intensive courses my first semester back. I don't know if other states have the Gordon Rule but it requires 4000 words or more throughout the course, well all 3 of my courses are Gordon Rule. That's A LOT of writing. English Comp II which is more technical and I'm taking it as a refresher since I've been out of school so long. I am also taking British Literature - up to the 18th Century, and Humanities - Renaissance through the Age of Reason.

With all this said, soon as I started my classes, I get a call for an interview for a very upscale job in a resort. I wanted this job so bad when I applied but never was called. Anyway, I went on the interview this week and they are doing all the paperwork but I still haven't been offered the job. I don't know if I want it or not now. I do but at the same time I have a big course load that can't be dropped now without losing some money. I'm not very confident I"ll get the job in the end anyway but regardless, I will take whatever comes and do my absolute best.

Ok I'm done with my gibberish for now. Thanks for all who take the time to read through.

Breezed is offline   Reply With Quote