Old 01-15-2011, 06:31 PM   #1
zeroghostly
Casting On

omg what did i do wrong?!
So I started to knit a scarf as my first thing done.
and it was WAYYYYYY to wide >.< so i stoped at three inches and just sewed the ends into a doll dress for my sister.
then I started again on another scarf
this time it's about the right size.

only..
it seems to be getting wider and wider or something on one side.

Can anyone tell me what im doing wrong? D:

Thanks!

zeroghostly is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-15-2011, 07:14 PM   #2
Mokumegane
1st Leg of the Journey

Send a message via AIM to Mokumegane Send a message via MSN to Mokumegane Send a message via Yahoo to Mokumegane
Well, I don't see that you're knitting extra stitches into stitches or knitting anything together or whatever but it does look like your tension is off and on there. The tension could be it... especially if it's not that far off on width. As for tension, practice will get you to get that right. you want the little bump on the purl stitch to be below the needle but touching the bottom of the needle but you don't need it so loose that there's a huge gap. You'll get it... I'd say first work on making your tension as similar all across the piece as possible. Aka: the tension on one stitch the same as the next, or close. I'm not sure what else to suggest other than working on tension and counting your stitches each row.
Mokumegane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 07:33 PM   #3
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
See if you have more sts than you started with and if you do then you've been adding them, probably at the beginning of the row. If the yarn is over the top of the needle it pulls up the first stitch and makes it look like 2 sts so hold your yarn a little off to the side when you make the first st. If you haven't added stitches then your tension on the yarn has loosened up here and there. Could be your cast on is tight also. You can keep going and it may even out more when you wash this when you're finished.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 09:11 PM   #4
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,761 Times in 7,129 Posts
It's hard to tell from the picture, but there are a couple of ways you can accidentally add stitches. One is to accidentally do a yarn over (YO) which is an increase. This is done by moving the yarn to the front and then knitting a stitch. Another is to pick up the yarn from between the stitches and knitting it. Sue also gave you another possibility. These are common mistakes especially among new knitters.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 12:09 AM   #5
TrueIconoclast
1st Leg of the Journey

I second Jan in CA and Suzeeq.......when I first started knitting, I also began with a scarf, and I noticed that it kept getting wider and wider. I finally figured out that I was doing the two things that Jan in CA said - I was accidentally making a yarn over, and I was also knitting into the wrong part of the stitch. What I would suggest doing to confirm that you're accidentally making increases is to count your stitches as you knit, and then go back and count your stitches after you're done with a row. If you had cast on 15 stitches originally, and find that you have 16 or 17 stitches after your first row, then you know you're accidentally increasing. If this is the case, I can give you a youtube link that shows you exactly what you're doing wrong.

Happy Knitting!

"Absolute power corrupts absolutely." - John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton
http://www.ravelry.com/people/TrueIconoclast

TrueIconoclast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 08:35 AM   #6
Mokumegane
1st Leg of the Journey

Send a message via AIM to Mokumegane Send a message via MSN to Mokumegane Send a message via Yahoo to Mokumegane
Originally Posted by Jan in CA View Post
It's hard to tell from the picture, but there are a couple of ways you can accidentally add stitches. One is to accidentally do a yarn over (YO) which is an increase. This is done by moving the yarn to the front and then knitting a stitch. Another is to pick up the yarn from between the stitches and knitting it. Sue also gave you another possibility. These are common mistakes especially among new knitters.
:o I didn't think of the yarn over! I guess I've been knitting too long... lol... haven't done that in ages!
Mokumegane is offline   Reply With Quote