Old 01-11-2011, 12:36 AM   #1
tinaknitter
Casting On

ques. re: dividing for neckline in sweater pattern
I'm working on a pullover, crewneck sweater (from an outdated pamphlet) and for the first time I've encountered the instructions for dividing for a neckline. there will be a left, center and right side division. I assume the two sides will go up higher and the center might be lower to allow for the scoop of a round neck ribbing? I have so many questions about how this will work... will I need separete balls of yarn to work each division upward? After the three sides are complete, how do they get joined together? will there be two seems on the sweater front (the photo doesn't show it) Here is some of what it says that I do not understand:

"Neck—Dividing Row—P and sl to holder for right side 29 sts.
p and sl to holder for neck 18 sts.
p for left side remaining 29 sts.

Left Side — Work 2 rows even, and at armhole edge.
Dec. Row—K to within 3 sts of end, k2tog, k1.
Repeat dec. row every 4th row 3 times.
Work even on remaining 25 sts and when armhole is
same lenght as back, shape shoulder same as for right side of back."

Right side — From wrong side, sl from holder to larger needle 29 sts.
From right side, join yarn at neck edge and work 2 rows even, end at neck edge.
Dec. Row—K1, SKP, k to end. Complete to correspond to left side, reverse shaping.

Neck — From wrong side, sl from holder to smaller needle 18 neck sts. From right side, beg. at left shoulder, with free smaller n eedle, pick up and knit along left neck edge 20 sts. k neck stitches, pick up and k along right neck edge to shoulder 20 sts. having on needle 58 sts. (then it finishes ribbing)...."

I'm having a hard time envisioning how the three sections seem back together aside from the ribbing connecting them at the top neckline. Any advice to accomplish this would be so appreciated.

Also, more basically, what is "P and sl to holder"?

Thanks for any knitting help!
tinaknitter is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-11-2011, 12:44 AM   #2
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,241 Times in 1,838 Posts
P and slip to holder means for you to purl the stitches and slip them to a holder to be worked later. You can use a regular stitch holder or a piece of yarn pulled through the stitches with a large-eyed needle.

Trust the pattern on this one.

You'll work each side with it's own ball of yarn, but they're worked one at a time so you won't have to use multiple strands at once.

What you're doing is making each side of the center collar longer to reach up to the shoulders. You won't work the center of the neck until the very end. You'll pick up stitches down the edge of one side of the neck, work the stitches of the center and the pick up stitches up the other side and work them in the ribbing.

There won't be any seams, and it will all look like a continuous knit.

As I said, just follow the pattern step by step and it will work out fine.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 11:46 PM   #3
tinaknitter
Casting On

Thank you for this advice. I'm a little more confident now.
tinaknitter is offline   Reply With Quote