Old 01-14-2011, 08:00 AM   #11
StarStrong
Ribbing the Cuff

Just ONE week left to register to
help make rectangles for handmade afghans going to those wounded in service to our country!!

Membership to HAP - The Handmade Afghans to Thank Our Armed Forces Project - is only open until January 21, 2011.

Don't miss this opportunity to come together with over 1,500 Volunteers to show our wounded Service Men & Women that we remember and we care!!!

Email Rectangle6x9@comcast.net before making any rectangles to get information on HAP Membership. (Registration is a two part process).
HAP only accepts Rectangles *made* registered Members.
http://www.rectangle6x9.org

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-18-2011, 03:02 PM   #12
StarStrong
Ribbing the Cuff

This Friday is it!!
Last chance to join
The Handmade Afghans to Thank Our Armed Forces Project
(HAP)
and help us thank those wounded in service to our country!!

If you want to make rectangles to go into our handmade afghans you must be a registered HAP Member!!
To join ~ send an email NOW to Rectangle6x9@comcast.net
After this Friday people requesting membership will be turned away.
Hate to have that happen to YOU!

HAP is in its 7th year of being a 100% Volunteer project ~ founded, run and supported all by Volunteers!!
Old 01-19-2011, 05:25 PM   #13
RuthieinMaryland
Turning the Heel

Location: I live on the Eastern Shore of Maryland - GREAT steamed crab country! :o)
Thanks!
Hi, Deb!

I've gone through the process of registering as a HAP member and am now just awaiting the Administrative OK! This is so super.

I checked out the website and got caught up in reading all the letters of thanks this group's received for the wonderful work it's done. It was awesome, I couldn't stop reading!

My hat's off to everyone who is contributing and also to those who do the finishing work. It's amazing how much goes into a project like this so I really want to acknowledge this group for it's truly humanitarian work.

I KNOW these soldiers, sailors, airmen & women and marines are grateful for the warmth and love that these afghans wrap around them when they're at a very low point in their lives, many of them struggling just to stay alive.

I've been a professional artist for many years and one of the things I know for sure is that what an artist feels when creating a piece of work goes, somehow, into that piece of art. So I know that the love and good wishes that go from loving hands into knitted rectangles does communicate to the recipients, whether they are awake and aware or not.

I'll be proud to help out with this wonderful project!!!!

Thanks for the opportunity!

Ruthie
StarStrong (01-19-2011)
Old 01-20-2011, 02:48 PM   #14
StarStrong
Ribbing the Cuff

Reminder - the deadline is tomorrow!!

Originally Posted by StarStrong View Post
This Friday is it!!
Last chance to join
The Handmade Afghans to Thank Our Armed Forces Project
(HAP)
and help us thank those wounded in service to our country!!

If you want to make rectangles to go into our handmade afghans you must be a registered HAP Member!!
To join ~ send an email NOW to Rectangle6x9@comcast.net
After this Friday people requesting membership will be turned away.
Hate to have that happen to YOU!

HAP is in its 7th year of being a 100% Volunteer project ~ founded, run and supported all by Volunteers!!
Old 01-21-2011, 09:25 AM   #15
thisisme7899
Ribbing the Cuff

Originally Posted by heatherg23 View Post
I found a link from a posting on this site so i thought I'd put it on this forum. The website is http://www.rectangle6x9.org/

They ask people to create 6inch by 9 inch blocks. Every 2-3 months they get a group of volunteers togethor to sew 49 of these blocks togethor to make Afgans. Then they deliver them to military hospitals. They have delivered over 1,000 Afgans there site says. They even made it on Fox News. There's a link to the article on their homepage in the top right corner.

The best thing about it is that there's no way I could make an entire blanket by myself and making 6 x 9 inch blocks is perfect.

Thanks for listening
Heather
That is SUCH an awsome Idea! Thank you so much for getting this started!
You should get millions of gold stars!!!!
-Moriah
Old 01-21-2011, 11:33 AM   #16
StarStrong
Ribbing the Cuff

Very important.....
The HAP Website has a mistake on it (our WebMaster is working on getting it corrected):

Membership closes TODAY - Friday, January 21, 2011.

You must be a registered Member to contribute rectangles.
You can still register TODAY (1/21/2011) - email a note to Rectangle6x9@comcast.net

After TODAY (1/21/2011) Membership is closed (the website will be corrected ASAP to reflect this) and requests for membership will be denied.
Old 01-22-2011, 01:58 AM   #17
StarStrong
Ribbing the Cuff

Membership to
The Handmade Afghans to Thank Our Armed Forces Project (HAP)
is now closed

Thank you to everyone who has joined our efforts to thank those wounded in service to our country!!

Welcome Aboard!!
Old 01-22-2011, 01:59 PM   #18
sgtpam
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by RuthieinMaryland View Post
Hi, Deb!

I've gone through the process of registering as a HAP member and am now just awaiting the Administrative OK! This is so super.

I'll be proud to help out with this wonderful project!!!!

Thanks for the opportunity!

Ruthie
Glad you joined us...see you on the HAP forum... there's a Ravelry group, too if you're interested http://www.ravelry.com/groups/handma...-project---hap

sgtpam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 05:02 AM   #19
Clarity
Ribbing the Cuff

I knew I bought a 400g of Aran for something. Been trying to find uses for it, and this looks like the best one
Clarity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 08:19 PM   #20
fatoldladyinpjs
Working the Gusset

The afghans are a great idea, but how about doing something for vets every day? When I see a vet with a jacket or cap that shows his military service, I thank him for his military service for our country. You have no idea what a thrill it gives him to hear this.

Some of you are too young to know this. There was an incident in Mai Lai, Vietnam where an entire village was wiped out by US troops. Some of them said they were only following orders. They were brought up for court martial and it was a big scandal that was all over the news.

Because of this, Vietnam War protesters would go up to these vets after they came home, spit on them, and call them all baby killers. I remember news footage of protesters who spit on a vet in a wheelchair who had lost both of his legs over there. This just wasn't right. While draft dodgers ran away to Canada, these guys stayed and did their duty.

Please, especially thank Vietnam vets. They didn't get the hero's welcome they deserved. Okay, so I'm done with my spiel, but I just had to get that in so folks would understand.
fatoldladyinpjs is offline   Reply With Quote