Old 01-12-2011, 09:00 PM   #11
HSRCampbell
Ribbing the Cuff

Well, I bought some cotton yarn last night when I ran back in to Walmart to buy diapers that my husband forgot, lol. I have half a basketweave coaster in red acrylic and almost half a Grandma's washcloth in white cotton, now (the one that starts from a corner and uses yarn-over to make it wider each row, a new stitch for me!), as well as 75% of the pink scarf that my little girls are desperate for me to finish, but I want it to be long enough to wrap around their necks without falling off. (It's about 24" long right now; that's the first thing I started. I intended it as a swatch, but it was about 7" wide, so I just kept going.) At least I did some today.

Thanks for the encouragement. I'm really really tired or I'd thank you all individually.
HSRCampbell is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-13-2011, 01:30 AM   #12
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,641 Times in 7,043 Posts
I've made a bunch of those corner to corner dishcloths. They are super easy and mindless knitting once you figure it out.

That pattern is often used for baby blankets since all you do is keep knitting till it's half as big as you want it. If you get really bored with the plain garter you can throw in some stockinette or seed stitch for several rows (keeping the border garter) and then start garter again when you want. Makes a kind of pretty stripey effect.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 06:08 AM   #13
Woodi
Turning the Heel

I know what is stopping you, H....it's what you talked to me about in the PM!...hint: it begins with the letter 'A'

so I say: begin by stuffing cotton wool in the mouth of that critical- mind, (which is only a fictional character after all, isn't it?)... and make a whole buncha those ever-so-handy corner-to-corner dishcloths which will fill your dish-washing days with cheer, and they also make great gifts to bring if you're invited to a friend's for a meal. I usually wrap a small gift in one, (usually a bar of my handmade soap), tie it with a ribbon and you're good to go! and most of all, ENJOY the process.

Nobody ever has too many of those little dishcloths. My father used to make 'em for me, but he's in a home now, and his fingers don't work very well so he's given up knitting, sadly.

Last edited by Woodi : 01-13-2011 at 11:24 AM.
Woodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 08:51 AM   #14
Mokumegane
1st Leg of the Journey

Send a message via AIM to Mokumegane Send a message via MSN to Mokumegane Send a message via Yahoo to Mokumegane
If you really want to do the dishcloths, you said you buy yarn at walmart and well, they have the sugar and cream, which is the cotton. I know those are less than two dollars a skein... or at least really close! I'd say: gogogo! Get a skein or two of the cotton and make some dishcloths! Dishcloths are a great way to sample different stitches without having to spend a lot of time on them- and you can always use more! If you don't want to do that, one thing we make here to help in the kitchen is a dish scrubbie. We get tulle and cut it into inch-wide strips (or close to that) then knit it up into a square or rectangle that's easy for the hands to hold (you know, not awkwardly large or small). You can try different stitches on that but we mainly garter those... we mix those up by doing different colors, really.
Mokumegane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 12:50 PM   #15
Woodi
Turning the Heel

I've made one of those tulle scrubbies!....comes out like a scrub pad. I made mine quite small (3 inches) and held a piece of cotton yarn together with the tulle. It took me about 2 hours to make, and my hands were very sore afterwards. At least I made one though.
Woodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 10:01 AM   #16
Mokumegane
1st Leg of the Journey

Send a message via AIM to Mokumegane Send a message via MSN to Mokumegane Send a message via Yahoo to Mokumegane
Originally Posted by Woodi View Post
I've made one of those tulle scrubbies!....comes out like a scrub pad. I made mine quite small (3 inches) and held a piece of cotton yarn together with the tulle. It took me about 2 hours to make, and my hands were very sore afterwards. At least I made one though.
Lol, yeah, that tulle really rips up your skin... and they put those into some of those fulled skirts, like the one you had for your high school prom, etc. Omg... why do they expect us women to torture ourselves for fashion!
Mokumegane is offline   Reply With Quote