Old 01-17-2011, 10:17 AM   #6701
Mokumegane
1st Leg of the Journey

Send a message via AIM to Mokumegane Send a message via MSN to Mokumegane Send a message via Yahoo to Mokumegane
Originally Posted by LStetz View Post
Dear Sue:

so how do i know that the starter kit i have is the correct on, or is that the one you are speaking of? or one on this list, i did read do not go smaller then size 8 with the dvd that i also got which did not come with the starter kit, it said that you want to start with a bigger needle, i have a 6 and a 8 needle the roll of yarn i did get is cron, one pound 4 ply is the wirstd weight,

no Dye lot yard, so is this ok?

Lisa
The only thing a dye lot does is produces a slightly off color from another dye lot. Basically, when you dye stuff and do it all in one batch (so to say) it'll all look the same. Now, when you do another batch with the same exact color and all, it might look lighter or darker. There is a dyeing process that is used now, with manufacturers, that produces the same result on every batch. With that process, they don't list a dye lot. However, with the traditional way of dyeing things, they do, because the different batches can produce different results. Soo... for a beginner, dye lot will not affect how you knit- it'll only affect the color of the item.

Oh and welcome all newcomers!
Mokumegane is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-18-2011, 05:35 AM   #6702
Shandeh
Sock Yarn Bliss

Thanked 2,842 Times in 1,907 Posts
Originally Posted by rabarth View Post
I began knitting with the new year and I've fallen absolutely in love with it..........This site is exactly what I've been searching for
Welcome to the KH Forum!
Shandeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 06:47 PM   #6703
pixie91075
Casting On

Yep, I'm new to all things knit
My name is Lesley and I right before Christmas that I was going to learn how to knit. So I bought a pair of needles, used some yarn I already had laying around (I've crocheted for years) and off I went to YouTube and the Internet for guidance. Since then I've knitted everyday. Sometimes for an hour, or sometimes for HOURS (like 8) at a time. I might have a project in mind (I've done 2 scarfs so far) or I might just be practicing. I've gone from trying to knit, to picking up purling, strait to cables and color work. I created my first pattern yesterday for a sleeve for my new Galaxy Tab slate that I got for Christmas... I'll make sure to post some pictures. I've gone from knowing nothing, to a little bit and wanting to tackle harder and harder projects in just a few weeks. I have to say my niece has been a ton of help. I don't know where she learned to knit, but I know I wouldn't have gotten as far as I have without her! I'm looking forward to knitting my first pair of socks.

Besides knitting I'm a working mother of two teenagers and married. When I'm not running errands, at the gym or at work, I knit. Oh yeah, and every once in a while I go to school.
pixie91075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 07:02 PM   #6704
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Quote:
I've gone from trying to knit, to picking up purling, strait to cables and color work. I created my first pattern yesterday for a sleeve for my new Galaxy Tab slate that I got for Christmas...
That's great pixie, that's pretty much how I taught myself to knit in high school, practiced stitches, did parts of patterns and generally just played with the yarn and needles. My second real project was a top down raglan pullover with a cable down the front. I just followed the pattern and the description for how to do the cables and it came out great.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 01:15 PM   #6705
Wiske
Casting On

Hi! I'm Wiske, 21, from The Netherlands. I've been knitting for about a year now and loving it. This site has proved helpful many times in the past and now that I'm knitting a pattern that I just can't seem to figure out I'm hoping this site will prove as helpful as ever yet again! Thank you Knittinghelp for being here whenever I need help. It's so nice to have a resource whenever I need.

Wiske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 04:05 AM   #6706
MosaicTree
Casting On

Send a message via Yahoo to MosaicTree
hello from England
Hi. I'm Anneli from England. I've stumbled across this site and think that I may be among friends! I've been knitting for just over a year. I love it but still tend to stick to small items and straight lines! I tend to use the internet as my mentor - looking up 'how to' videos on you tube when I get stuck! I'm still struggling with picking up dropped stitches - yesterday was a prime example and I ended up undoing several rows - one day I'll get there!

Hello to all!
MosaicTree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 10:44 AM   #6707
suzeeq
Knit On!

Hi Anneli, welcome! Did you check out the videos on the Tips page? There's some on Fixing Mistakes, including how to pick up a dropped st without ripping back.

Old 01-23-2011, 02:06 PM   #6708
tammyfrost
Casting On

Hi from Alabama
I just started teaching myself to knit and I am enjoying it. I found it frustrating to begin with, but now I am looking forward to watching the videos here and learning more.

Tammy
tammyfrost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 06:43 AM   #6709
MosaicTree
Casting On

Send a message via Yahoo to MosaicTree
Thanks suzeeq. No, I hadn't found them yet but I'll take a look. It could save me many moments of frustration!!
MosaicTree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 10:32 AM   #6710
suzeeq
Knit On!

Look under the Free Videos tab at the top of the page.