Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2011, 09:27 AM   #1
thisisme7899
Ribbing the Cuff
 
thisisme7899's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: in the world!
Posts: 53
Thanks: 41
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
CAT AND DOG BEDS!!!!
HI! My name is Moriah and I have a place in my heart for strays and foster children. My family takes care of foster babies, and I was also born into foster care, not for long, but... yea. I almost got my mom to let us try fostering dogs, but that might be more painful then the foster babies. So, I decided, why not knit for strays? Most animal shelters will probably be cool with it! After all, most of the animals sleep on the floor since animal shelters don't have money to buy animal beds! So, Please! Please! Please! Pleeeaseee help me by making animal beds for the animals. This book called "Ghost dog secrets" by Peg Kehret has a cat blanket pattern in the very back. I make this bigger to make a dog bed. I have made several now, and would looooove help!!!!! all you really have to do is decide how many stitches to cast on, and then knit each row in "garter stitch" and do this until you reach desired length. any one in?
__________________
Momo
thisisme7899 is offline   Reply With Quote

 

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-25-2011, 07:12 PM   #2
TrueIconoclast
1st Leg of the Journey
 
TrueIconoclast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Venus, Milky Way Galaxy
Posts: 128
Thanks: 77
Thanked 27 Times in 24 Posts
I'm in
I also do knitting for homeless shelters, but I have a Robin Hood complex, and I feel the animals would help me fufill my need as well. I'm actually making my first dog bed for my dog right now. I'm doing it on 34" circulars; I cast on until I can't fit anymore stitches, and I'm just going to knit it in stockinette (on circulars, that's knit every row) until I feel it's long enough. Then stuff it with some goose down that I have (my down pillow ripped, I didn't want all that expensive down to go to waste, so I'm using it for stuffing other projects) and seam it up.
__________________
TrueIconoclast {Exempt from Classification}

"Absolute power corrupts absolutely." - John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton
http://www.ravelry.com/people/TrueIconoclast


TrueIconoclast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 07:14 PM   #3
TrueIconoclast
1st Leg of the Journey
 
TrueIconoclast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Venus, Milky Way Galaxy
Posts: 128
Thanks: 77
Thanked 27 Times in 24 Posts
Although if there's no goose down available, batting would work just as well, and it's much cheaper.
__________________
TrueIconoclast {Exempt from Classification}

"Absolute power corrupts absolutely." - John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton
http://www.ravelry.com/people/TrueIconoclast


TrueIconoclast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 07:16 PM   #4
cheley
Working the Gusset
 
cheley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Ohio
Posts: 1,475
Thanks: 354
Thanked 187 Times in 162 Posts
Originally Posted by thisisme7899 View Post
HI! My name is Moriah and I have a place in my heart for strays and foster children. My family takes care of foster babies, and I was also born into foster care, not for long, but... yea. I almost got my mom to let us try fostering dogs, but that might be more painful then the foster babies. So, I decided, why not knit for strays? Most animal shelters will probably be cool with it! After all, most of the animals sleep on the floor since animal shelters don't have money to buy animal beds! So, Please! Please! Please! Pleeeaseee help me by making animal beds for the animals. This book called "Ghost dog secrets" by Peg Kehret has a cat blanket pattern in the very back. I make this bigger to make a dog bed. I have made several now, and would looooove help!!!!! all you really have to do is decide how many stitches to cast on, and then knit each row in "garter stitch" and do this until you reach desired length. any one in?
Do you want it in "pattern"?...
__________________

cheley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 09:20 AM   #5
thisisme7899
Ribbing the Cuff
 
thisisme7899's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: in the world!
Posts: 53
Thanks: 41
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by cheley View Post
Do you want it in "pattern"?...
can you explain that? I am newer at knitting, not so sure with all the "K-ing slang" I like to think that I know alot of them, but, who knows, lol. So... yea.. what did u mean by "Do you want it in "pattern"?..."
__________________
Momo
thisisme7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 09:24 AM   #6
thisisme7899
Ribbing the Cuff
 
thisisme7899's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: in the world!
Posts: 53
Thanks: 41
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by TrueIconoclast View Post
I also do knitting for homeless shelters, but I have a Robin Hood complex, and I feel the animals would help me fufill my need as well. I'm actually making my first dog bed for my dog right now. I'm doing it on 34" circulars; I cast on until I can't fit anymore stitches, and I'm just going to knit it in stockinette (on circulars, that's knit every row) until I feel it's long enough. Then stuff it with some goose down that I have (my down pillow ripped, I didn't want all that expensive down to go to waste, so I'm using it for stuffing other projects) and seam it up.
Nice!! If your dog could talk u would hear "I LOVE YOU!!!!" Thank you!
is "garter stitch" knit one row, purl one row? or is that stockinette?

And the pattern I talked about, I repeat that after finishing and sew them together to make it softer!
__________________
Momo
thisisme7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 12:08 PM   #7
cheley
Working the Gusset
 
cheley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Ohio
Posts: 1,475
Thanks: 354
Thanked 187 Times in 162 Posts
Originally Posted by thisisme7899 View Post
can you explain that? I am newer at knitting, not so sure with all the "K-ing slang" I like to think that I know alot of them, but, who knows, lol. So... yea.. what did u mean by "Do you want it in "pattern"?..."
Knitting in "pattern"..would translate to
in "garter stitch" being the "pattern" you posted
__________________

cheley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 12:11 PM   #8
cheley
Working the Gusset
 
cheley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Ohio
Posts: 1,475
Thanks: 354
Thanked 187 Times in 162 Posts
Originally Posted by thisisme7899 View Post
Nice!! If your dog could talk u would hear "I LOVE YOU!!!!" Thank you!
is "garter stitch" knit one row, purl one row? or is that stockinette?

And the pattern I talked about, I repeat that after finishing and sew them together to make it softer!
On straight "needles" knitting back and forth (exchanging needles at the end of your work) would create "garter" stitch..On straight needles knit one row, purl the next row (again switching left and right needles) will create stockinette stitch.
__________________

cheley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cheley For This Useful Post:
thisisme7899 (01-27-2011)
Old 01-27-2011, 03:15 PM   #9
thisisme7899
Ribbing the Cuff
 
thisisme7899's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: in the world!
Posts: 53
Thanks: 41
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
cheley
thanks for the clarification.
The pattern is just knit all rows, until you feel like it is long enough, for a dog or a cat.
Then after you finish it, repeat it so that you have a second one, same size or a few stitches larger if you want to stuff it.
Sew it together, put the stuffing in If you want to.
And then it's done!
The needles i've been using are size 11 straight needles. They work pretty well. If you want, you can prob. go larger.
Thanks!
__________________
Momo
thisisme7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 10:28 PM   #10
cheley
Working the Gusset
 
cheley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Ohio
Posts: 1,475
Thanks: 354
Thanked 187 Times in 162 Posts
Originally Posted by thisisme7899 View Post
cheley
thanks for the clarification.
The pattern is just knit all rows, until you feel like it is long enough, for a dog or a cat.
Then after you finish it, repeat it so that you have a second one, same size or a few stitches larger if you want to stuff it.
Sew it together, put the stuffing in If you want to.
And then it's done!
The needles i've been using are size 11 straight needles. They work pretty well. If you want, you can prob. go larger.
Thanks!
You are welcome...Anytime!!glad to help
__________________

cheley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cheley For This Useful Post:
thisisme7899 (01-28-2011)
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:02 PM.