Old 01-25-2011, 09:27 AM   #1
thisisme7899
Ribbing the Cuff

CAT AND DOG BEDS!!!!
HI! My name is Moriah and I have a place in my heart for strays and foster children. My family takes care of foster babies, and I was also born into foster care, not for long, but... yea. I almost got my mom to let us try fostering dogs, but that might be more painful then the foster babies. So, I decided, why not knit for strays? Most animal shelters will probably be cool with it! After all, most of the animals sleep on the floor since animal shelters don't have money to buy animal beds! So, Please! Please! Please! Pleeeaseee help me by making animal beds for the animals. This book called "Ghost dog secrets" by Peg Kehret has a cat blanket pattern in the very back. I make this bigger to make a dog bed. I have made several now, and would looooove help!!!!! all you really have to do is decide how many stitches to cast on, and then knit each row in "garter stitch" and do this until you reach desired length. any one in?

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-25-2011, 07:12 PM   #2
TrueIconoclast
1st Leg of the Journey

I'm in
I also do knitting for homeless shelters, but I have a Robin Hood complex, and I feel the animals would help me fufill my need as well. I'm actually making my first dog bed for my dog right now. I'm doing it on 34" circulars; I cast on until I can't fit anymore stitches, and I'm just going to knit it in stockinette (on circulars, that's knit every row) until I feel it's long enough. Then stuff it with some goose down that I have (my down pillow ripped, I didn't want all that expensive down to go to waste, so I'm using it for stuffing other projects) and seam it up.

"Absolute power corrupts absolutely." - John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton
http://www.ravelry.com/people/TrueIconoclast

TrueIconoclast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 07:14 PM   #3
TrueIconoclast
1st Leg of the Journey

Although if there's no goose down available, batting would work just as well, and it's much cheaper.

"Absolute power corrupts absolutely." - John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton
http://www.ravelry.com/people/TrueIconoclast

TrueIconoclast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 07:16 PM   #4
cheley
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by thisisme7899 View Post
HI! My name is Moriah and I have a place in my heart for strays and foster children. My family takes care of foster babies, and I was also born into foster care, not for long, but... yea. I almost got my mom to let us try fostering dogs, but that might be more painful then the foster babies. So, I decided, why not knit for strays? Most animal shelters will probably be cool with it! After all, most of the animals sleep on the floor since animal shelters don't have money to buy animal beds! So, Please! Please! Please! Pleeeaseee help me by making animal beds for the animals. This book called "Ghost dog secrets" by Peg Kehret has a cat blanket pattern in the very back. I make this bigger to make a dog bed. I have made several now, and would looooove help!!!!! all you really have to do is decide how many stitches to cast on, and then knit each row in "garter stitch" and do this until you reach desired length. any one in?
Do you want it in "pattern"?...

cheley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 09:20 AM   #5
thisisme7899
Ribbing the Cuff

Originally Posted by cheley View Post
Do you want it in "pattern"?...
can you explain that? I am newer at knitting, not so sure with all the "K-ing slang" I like to think that I know alot of them, but, who knows, lol. So... yea.. what did u mean by "Do you want it in "pattern"?..."
Old 01-27-2011, 09:24 AM   #6
thisisme7899
Ribbing the Cuff

Originally Posted by TrueIconoclast View Post
I also do knitting for homeless shelters, but I have a Robin Hood complex, and I feel the animals would help me fufill my need as well. I'm actually making my first dog bed for my dog right now. I'm doing it on 34" circulars; I cast on until I can't fit anymore stitches, and I'm just going to knit it in stockinette (on circulars, that's knit every row) until I feel it's long enough. Then stuff it with some goose down that I have (my down pillow ripped, I didn't want all that expensive down to go to waste, so I'm using it for stuffing other projects) and seam it up.
Nice!! If your dog could talk u would hear "I LOVE YOU!!!!" Thank you!
is "garter stitch" knit one row, purl one row? or is that stockinette?

And the pattern I talked about, I repeat that after finishing and sew them together to make it softer!
Old 01-27-2011, 12:08 PM   #7
cheley
Working the Gusset

can you explain that? I am newer at knitting, not so sure with all the "K-ing slang" I like to think that I know alot of them, but, who knows, lol. So... yea.. what did u mean by "Do you want it in "pattern"?..."
Knitting in "pattern"..would translate to
in "garter stitch" being the "pattern" you posted

Old 01-27-2011, 12:11 PM   #8
cheley
Working the Gusset

Nice!! If your dog could talk u would hear "I LOVE YOU!!!!" Thank you!
is "garter stitch" knit one row, purl one row? or is that stockinette?

And the pattern I talked about, I repeat that after finishing and sew them together to make it softer!
On straight "needles" knitting back and forth (exchanging needles at the end of your work) would create "garter" stitch..On straight needles knit one row, purl the next row (again switching left and right needles) will create stockinette stitch.

The Following User Says Thank You to cheley For This Useful Post:
thisisme7899 (01-27-2011)
Old 01-27-2011, 03:15 PM   #9
thisisme7899
Ribbing the Cuff

cheley
thanks for the clarification.
The pattern is just knit all rows, until you feel like it is long enough, for a dog or a cat.
Then after you finish it, repeat it so that you have a second one, same size or a few stitches larger if you want to stuff it.
Sew it together, put the stuffing in If you want to.
And then it's done!
The needles i've been using are size 11 straight needles. They work pretty well. If you want, you can prob. go larger.
Thanks!
Old 01-27-2011, 10:28 PM   #10
cheley
Working the Gusset

cheley
thanks for the clarification.
The pattern is just knit all rows, until you feel like it is long enough, for a dog or a cat.
Then after you finish it, repeat it so that you have a second one, same size or a few stitches larger if you want to stuff it.
Sew it together, put the stuffing in If you want to.
And then it's done!
The needles i've been using are size 11 straight needles. They work pretty well. If you want, you can prob. go larger.
Thanks!
You are welcome...Anytime!!glad to help

The Following User Says Thank You to cheley For This Useful Post:
thisisme7899 (01-28-2011)