Old 01-10-2010, 01:52 PM   #31
RuthieinMaryland
Turning the Heel

Location: I live on the Eastern Shore of Maryland - GREAT steamed crab country! :o)
Originally Posted by Sknitter56 View Post
Ruthie, I don't know how much this will help because I, too, get so frustrated with half of the skein pulling out when trying to find the start of the center pull yarn. What I do is, I stick my thumb and first finger into the center of the skein as close to the middle as I can and pull out the least amount of the inside as possible. ]

I read somewhere in (I think...) Lily Chin's book, "Knitting Tips & Tricks" that if you stick both index fingers in each end of the skein and then kind of circle your fingers around each other it tends to loosen up the center and makes the center pull string easier to find with less "yarn barf" (I LOVE that term, thanks to Jan) So your trick of loosening up that center would work pretty well. Thanks for the tip.

[..." My pet peeve is talking to a computer. UGGHH!! Sometimes I'll just talk jibberish until I get a human on the line. Computers don't understand jibberish Doesn't work all the time, but it makes me feel better.
This is SO funny! I'd love to hear a tape of you jerking the computer answering system around! It would probably make a great You Tube clip! Keep it up! Anything we can do to annoy the computers, and the people who inflict them on us, is OK in my book!

Ruthie

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-10-2010, 03:46 PM   #32
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
The 'no knots' rule is rather flexible, not something to be avoided in all cases. My knots stay better than just weaving in the ends, and knitting with both ends for a few stitches makes them too bulky. And a couple times when I tried 'spit splicing' they didn't stay at all - would rather use knots. When I find one in the yarn, I pull it a bit to see if it's going to stay better that the ones I make. I've been meaning to try the russian join one of these days.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to suzeeq For This Useful Post:
RuthieinMaryland (01-16-2011)
Old 01-16-2011, 12:28 AM   #33
HSRCampbell
Ribbing the Cuff

Usually the automated systems will send you to a real person if you just say clearly "I want to talk to a person". :D And some of them have the "0" button send you to an operator. On occasion, I would actually prefer the automated system: such as scheduling doctor's appointments for something embarrassing!

Thanks so much for talking about what to do when you have knots in the ball... I was just searching for pulling from the center or outside and I love the way this thread changed course.
HSRCampbell is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HSRCampbell For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2011, 08:08 AM   #34
Mokumegane
1st Leg of the Journey

Send a message via AIM to Mokumegane Send a message via MSN to Mokumegane Send a message via Yahoo to Mokumegane
Originally Posted by gotta knit View Post
I don't centre pull unless I'm using both ends of the skein at the same time. I've always found a tangled bit came out, over the years.

Is there an advantage to using centre pull regularly, rather than just unravelling from the outside?
I prefer to center pull when I can because it stays in one place and doesn't roll or bounce around. As for a tangled mess in the middle... usually, I don't have to pull out too much- about a quarter-sized globe at worst and that's knitted up pretty quick. After getting that first little mess out, there's no other problems that I find. Maybe it's the yarns but I don't know... I use anything from the nice, expensive stuff, to lionbrand and even red heart. It all depends on what I'm doing and what the person wants, really.
Mokumegane is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mokumegane For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2011, 11:57 AM   #35
crazykntter83
Turning the Heel

Send a message via Yahoo to crazykntter83
A couple years back, I bought some of Caron's Simply Soft Eco. I had gotten several skeins of this pretty blue color. Well, the pretty blue color had ALOT of knots in it. And when I would go to buy another skein of it, I would usually run into the same problem. Finally I got fed up with it, and sent Caron an e-mail about the problem that I was having. They ended up sending me a box of I want to say 5 or 6 skeins of the yarn. Later on I went to crochet my gf a blanket with the yarn, and there were still problems with the yarn that they had sent me.
I guess it was just a problem with the machinery or whatever they use to wind the yarn up. But my point is, I know how frustrating it is.
Normally, I unravel the yarn and just wrap it into regular yarn balls. My Dad taught me to do that when I was younger, in order to avoid the problems of it getting tangled when you're knitting or crocheting. This is what I had done with the Caron yarn and when I went to unravel it from the skein, ran into the problems.
I've also had numerous problems with getting knots in Red Heart yarns. Maybe it's just me??
The Following User Says Thank You to crazykntter83 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2011, 11:26 PM   #36
TEMA
Turning the Heel

At Walmart the other day, a lady asked me if I knew the secret to getting the yarn to come from the middle of the ball. I told her that I never worry about it. I just place a bowl on the floor and it unwinds very well... no tangles, no rolling around... and best of all no ceaseless searching or tearing your yarn balls apart!
I do love big bowls!
TEMA
TEMA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TEMA For This Useful Post:
RuthieinMaryland (01-22-2011)
Old 01-16-2011, 11:51 PM   #37
Mokumegane
1st Leg of the Journey

Send a message via AIM to Mokumegane Send a message via MSN to Mokumegane Send a message via Yahoo to Mokumegane
Originally Posted by TEMA View Post
At Walmart the other day, a lady asked me if I knew the secret to getting the yarn to come from the middle of the ball. I told her that I never worry about it. I just place a bowl on the floor and it unwinds very well... no tangles, no rolling around... and best of all no ceaseless searching or tearing your yarn balls apart!
I do love big bowls!
TEMA
I would love to do that but all my big bowls get used in the kitchen... just about every day lol Today, it was carrot cake and probably in a few days, it'll be pumpkin bread...
Mokumegane is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mokumegane For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2011, 04:11 PM   #38
TEMA
Turning the Heel

I bot a lovely big bowl just for my knitting at ValuVillage but any secondhand store could offer you big bowls for next to nothing.
TEMA
TEMA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TEMA For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2011, 12:56 PM   #39
Annabee85
Casting On

Yarn Barf In Deed!
i feel your pain! there is almost nothing better that getting a clean center pull ball of yarn. but as this almost never happens i just end up making my own center pull ball, just makes life easier if i do
Annabee85 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Annabee85 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2011, 05:53 PM   #40
OffJumpsJack
Working the Gusset

Dizzy?
Originally Posted by RuthieinMaryland View Post
Hi! Happy New Year to all!

I'd like to take this opportunity to rant about a pet peeve that's assumed very large proportions lately - center pull balls of yarn that don't pull until you've got half the guts of the skein pulled out!

GRRRRRRRR.

Ruthie
Originally Posted by Jan in CA View Post
That's called yarn barf. Some skeins do it, some don't.

I bet it only happens when a machine has been spinning a very long time and has gotten too dizzy. Then it makes skeins with yarn barf in the middle just waiting for the unsuspecting knitter like you or me.

I often wind my own center pull ball (or cake) but I don't own an official nostepinne. I make my own from cardboard tubes, plastic center from a register tape mounted on a carpenter's pencil, two fingers of my left hand, or just what ever I find handy.

as Off-Jumps-Jack

OTN another Black & gold Diagonal Square Potholder
OTH Baby blanket
OTH Lace doily - A vintage pattern recreating from an heirloom.
OffJumpsJack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OffJumpsJack For This Useful Post:
RuthieinMaryland (02-07-2011)