Old 01-28-2011, 04:11 PM   #1
tinaknitter
Casting On

finishing the shoulder of a sweater
I'm working on a Crewneck-Pullover (vintage pattern) knit on two needles. I have completed the Back. Now i am up to finishing the Front. So far they seem to match up pretty nicely and evenly. I have divided the Front piece for left shoulder, center and right shoulder. I have a question now about the following pattern instruction and am hoping that someone here might help me through this challenging step as I proceed in finishing up the left shoulder. Many thanks! Here it is:

Left side.
"work even on remaining 25 sts and when armhole is same length as back (this part of the knitting has been done), shape shoulder same as for right side of back (*this is where I am stuck right now).

so, turning back to the instructions for shoulder on the back:
Shoulder instructions for back:
"Bind off 6 sts at beg. of next 6 rows.
7 sts at beg. of next 2 rows
work ribbing for 8 rows"

*When I bound off 6 sts every row for the back it was the right edge and left edge, going back and forth - knit and purl - in stockinnette. I am thinking that I should now only bind off every OTHER row so that the decreases match up to the back edge, but keep the inside of the front left a straight up edge with no decreases? or is that incorrect? Should I decrease on each side of this small front shoulder section, just as the pattern says for the back? I did the first row of this Front left side decrease (-6 sts) and am ready to go back the other way on the next row, so I am not sure if i should decrease another 6 or wait until the next row, keeping the decrease on the outer edge.

It is so hard to describe in words, and I am hoping that someone could clarify this for me. I truly appreciate the help. Thank you!!!

Last edited by tinaknitter : 01-28-2011 at 05:23 PM.
tinaknitter is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-28-2011, 05:33 PM   #2
MerigoldinWA
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 1,834 Times in 1,737 Posts
Well, if you only have 25 stitches you couldn't follow the back shoulder directions completely because you wouldn't have enough stitches to do what they say, so you must only do it every other row like you say.

Your back shoulder probably slants one way or the other / or \, make the front one slant appropriately so that they will match when sewn together.
Old 01-28-2011, 05:33 PM   #3
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,244 Times in 1,838 Posts
You'll only decrease on the armhole side, in the same sequence as you did for the back.

Bind off 6, finish the row, turn and purl back. Do this 3 times

Bind off 7 and finish the row.

This will bind off all the stitches.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 06:15 PM   #4
tinaknitter
Casting On

Thank you both!!!!! Of course, every other row decrease was correct and it worked out fine. Turns out by the time I was doing the last decrease of 7 that was all the stitches left ont he needle, so it was a complete bind off. Thank you for getting me there.

Now can I ask about the next step to move on to the right side of the front???

RIGHT SIDE:
From wrong side, sl from holder to larger needle 29 sts (I get this). From right side, join yarn at neck edge and work 2 rows even, and at neck edge.

So, what exactly does "join yarn at neck edge" mean?
Should I disconnect the ball of yarn that i still have connected (left side, where I just bound off) and start a new ball? is that all join yarn at neck edge means? I think the neck edge is the inside edge to this side, as opposed to the shoulder edge. I'm just not sure what step to do next to get the right side going. (new separate ball? disconnect old one? how to join at neck edge?)

Thank you again! This help is really getting me through these tricky parts.
tinaknitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 07:14 PM   #5
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,506 Times in 3,180 Posts
"Should I disconnect the ball of yarn that i still have connected (left side, where I just bound off) and start a new ball? is that all join yarn at neck edge means? "
Yes. You can cut the yarn from the right shoulder bind off and start with that ball of yarn on the left shoulder. The decreases will look like the back decreases on the same side and be the equivalent of the decreases you just completed for the right side.
salmonmac is online now   Reply With Quote