Old 01-24-2011, 05:03 PM   #1
kmb
Casting On

Knitting a heart - How to add a second strand???
Hi! I am attempting to knit a flat heart but I am so very stuck. The pattern says to to the following Step 7. On the next row, Knit 7, knit 2 tog. Join your second strand of yarn, knit 8 Step 8. *SSK, k4, k2tog, repeat from *

I don't understand how to join a second strand of yarn...how to I put the new yarn onto my needle to start knitting the new strand, do I cut the old strand, will I use both strands at the same time?? Obvisoulsy, I am clueless! Yikes! If you could help me, I would really appreciate it! I think I might need very specific step by step instructions...Thank you in advance for your help! I hope someone out there can lend me some of their knitting wisdom! :-) Have a super day!!
kmb is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-24-2011, 06:22 PM   #2
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,241 Times in 1,838 Posts
You will use both strands at the same time, one for each side of the heart center.

Just start knitting with a new strand and snug it up later.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 01:23 AM   #3
Sheri
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by kmb View Post
Hi! I am attempting to knit a flat heart but I am so very stuck. The pattern says to to the following Step 7. On the next row, Knit 7, knit 2 tog. Join your second strand of yarn, knit 8 Step 8. *SSK, k4, k2tog, repeat from *

I don't understand how to join a second strand of yarn...how to I put the new yarn onto my needle to start knitting the new strand, do I cut the old strand, will I use both strands at the same time?? Obvisoulsy, I am clueless! Yikes! If you could help me, I would really appreciate it! I think I might need very specific step by step instructions...Thank you in advance for your help! I hope someone out there can lend me some of their knitting wisdom! :-) Have a super day!!
I knit continental. When I add a second strand, I lay the new yarn between my needles with six inches pointing toward me and the rest of the new yarn dangling to be held with the old ball and I knit two stitches with both yarns. Make sense?
Sheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 11:24 PM   #4
kmb
Casting On

Originally Posted by Sheri View Post
I knit continental. When I add a second strand, I lay the new yarn between my needles with six inches pointing toward me and the rest of the new yarn dangling to be held with the old ball and I knit two stitches with both yarns. Make sense?
Thank you so much for your help! It definitely made sense! Thanks!!!
Old 01-29-2011, 11:24 PM   #5
kmb
Casting On

Originally Posted by Ingrid View Post
You will use both strands at the same time, one for each side of the heart center.

Just start knitting with a new strand and snug it up later.
Thank you for your help! It was a huge help! :-)