Old 02-01-2011, 02:00 AM   #21
KatzKnitter
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by crazykntter83 View Post
I knit continentally and I had a really hard time learning the purl stitch.... I've though about making a video of my method, because it took me so long to understand it, and wonder if I could help anyone with the problems that I've had...
I would gladly watch your video. Most of the videos are made by pro knitters who have been doing it forever, and they make it look so easy. But I wonder if it also depends on how dexterous you are with your left hand.
KatzKnitter is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-01-2011, 02:32 AM   #22
crazykntter83
Turning the Heel

Send a message via Yahoo to crazykntter83
That could be it. I'll have to try making a video. I'm wondering if I could successfully do one with a webcam. I will have to try it when I get home....right now we're at my girlfriend's Mom's house waiting out the storm because we're afraid that we'll lose power. We also have a heater that doesn't heat our apartment too well. Her Mom's house has an excellent heater and a fireplace, so either way it goes, we won't be freezing to death!
Old 02-01-2011, 02:52 AM   #23
KatzKnitter
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by crazykntter83 View Post
I will have to try it when I get home....right now we're at my girlfriend's Mom's house waiting out the storm because we're afraid that we'll lose power. We also have a heater that doesn't heat our apartment too well. Her Mom's house has an excellent heater and a fireplace, so either way it goes, we won't be freezing to death!
You'll have to stay through Wednesday. Plenty time to buy food, it's not supposed to hit till early AM. I guess you don't go barefoot in your apartment the way I do.

You're just north of my friend in Moore, OK.

Some people use a webcam, others find it's easier with someone filming them. The most important things are good lighting and good closeup shots. And I see most people use large needles and bright yarn to show each stitch, or even a new color to show the current row.
Old 02-01-2011, 03:10 AM   #24
crazykntter83
Turning the Heel

Send a message via Yahoo to crazykntter83
We're in Tulsa, and it's already hit. There's ice and all that lovelyness outside already. We're supposed to get at least a foot of snow, last I heard.
Oh believe me, I go barefoot in my apartment. I'm hot natured, and for some reason I like the feeling of my feet being free. They don't really like to be enclosed in things.
I'll definitely use bigger needles and bright colored yarn. I have plenty of it, because I love bright colors.
Old 02-01-2011, 03:48 AM   #25
KatzKnitter
1st Leg of the Journey

Yeah, just hit NY, ahead of schedule, as it's 2:30 AM here. We've had 56" of snow since Christmas, and we usually average 22" for the whole winter. I hope your friend's house is cozy. Knit some socks today.

I wear socks all year round, crews and peds in the summer, knee socks in winter because I can't wear wool slacks. Today I bought a round needle for flat knitting just to get the feel of it, a #8 in 16". I think for English it's not any faster than straights. If I really hate it after a few days, I'll skip the socks before I invest in yarn.
Old 02-01-2011, 03:54 AM   #26
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,797 Times in 7,157 Posts
I don't have a video of ME knitting, but I knit english like this one -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxuKeg3PQJw

I've gotten the motion down where it's really pretty fast.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jan in CA For This Useful Post:
Wanda Witch (02-01-2011)
Old 02-01-2011, 10:31 AM   #27
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Originally Posted by KatzKnitter View Post
I am absolutely doing English the right way, but it's obviously inefficient for most of us who are not speed knitters. You're dropping the needle, wrapping the yarn, then stitching, 3 processes.
You'll get more efficient if you don't drop the needle. Watch some videos by different english knitters on youtube and find a way to hang on to the needle and wrap the yarn. Don't look at the How To ones, they're slow and awkward; the one Jan linked to is a pretty good one.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 10:54 PM   #28
KatzKnitter
1st Leg of the Journey

Good.

How did you make out with the storm? It was icy here this morning, but mostly melted now.
Old 02-02-2011, 02:11 AM   #29
Mazie
1st Leg of the Journey

Try the Russian type of knitting, simply perfect for those of us with short fingers.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKO2iqdBPSU
Ravelry has a forum on Russian knitting that is slightly different than this but this is the video I used to learn this type of knitting and won't/can't knit knit English or Continental. Won't do one, can't do the other.
I find this is the fastest way for me and I want to share it with as many as possible.

Last edited by Mazie : 02-02-2011 at 02:24 AM. Reason: spelling
Mazie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 02:19 AM   #30
KatzKnitter
1st Leg of the Journey

That looks like continental to me.