Old 02-03-2011, 10:27 PM   #1
crazykntter83
Turning the Heel

Send a message via Yahoo to crazykntter83
Two toe up socks?
I'm just about finished with my first sock on dpns. I'm working on the the gusset. All that I have left to do is the toes and I'm done. From what I've seen of the rest of the pattern, it doesn't seem like it's going to be hard at all. I'm just wondering, exactly how hard would ya'll say the two toe up socks on one circular is? I'm curious to try it because I know that as it is, it'll probably be hard for me to go ahead and get the second sock done on my dpns. I guess I'm just wondering for future reference. Thanks guys!!!

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-03-2011, 11:10 PM   #2
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,750 Times in 7,120 Posts
I've considered trying it, but having two skeins of yarn connected to it seems like a pain and it certainly wouldn't be as portable... or so it seems to me. Nice to have them both done at the same time though.

The thing I do normally is I do two at once just with separate needles.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Last edited by Jan in CA : 02-04-2011 at 02:21 PM.
Jan in CA is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jan in CA For This Useful Post:
crazykntter83 (02-04-2011)
Old 02-04-2011, 10:21 AM   #3
WandaT
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,479 Times in 1,441 Posts
I bought the book by Melissa Morgan-Oaks last year and did a sample pair. It's MUCH eaiser (for me anyway) than the two at a time cuff down. This is gonna be one of my next projects to CO.

Wanda T
My Blog
My Ravelry
WandaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 10:37 AM   #4
kmaclean
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by WandaT View Post
I bought the book by Melissa Morgan-Oaks last year and did a sample pair.

How did you like this book, Wanda (or anyone else too!)? I've been looking at it and wanting to try it out .... Like Jan mentioned, it's having the two balls of yarn going at one time thing that's intimidating me a little. Was the book helpful in terms of instruction/tips?

Thanks!
kmaclean is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kmaclean For This Useful Post:
crazykntter83 (02-04-2011)
Old 02-04-2011, 11:36 AM   #5
kellyh57
Turning the Heel

I do two at a time, toe-up all the time! It's my favorite method! I used a knitpicks tutorial to get started. (I did Judy's Magic Cast-On for the beginning though.) It's free so if you decide you don't like it, you're not out anything! I did use a stitch pattern in mine too. I hate all that ribbing or stockinette! It is harder to find toe-up patterns though. You can convert a pattern, but you have to have a little experience before you can tackle that. There's a lot of popular patterns that have been converted out there too. Good luck and have fun!
Old 02-04-2011, 11:45 AM   #6
crazykntter83
Turning the Heel

Yeah, I saw that knitpicks had a tutorial on it. I haven't gotten a chance to give it a real close look, though. I'll have to go through it more thoroughly today.
Old 02-04-2011, 01:25 PM   #7
WandaT
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,479 Times in 1,441 Posts
Originally Posted by kmaclean View Post
How did you like this book, Wanda (or anyone else too!)? I've been looking at it and wanting to try it out .... Like Jan mentioned, it's having the two balls of yarn going at one time thing that's intimidating me a little. Was the book helpful in terms of instruction/tips?
I really like the book and the pictures and instructions were pretty easy to follow. I did the Judy's Magic Cast On too. Honestly can't remember the cast on she recommends in the book. Been a while since I've picked it up.

Wanda T
My Blog
My Ravelry
WandaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 01:32 PM   #8
kmaclean
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by WandaT View Post
I really like the book and the pictures and instructions were pretty easy to follow. I did the Judy's Magic Cast On too. Honestly can't remember the cast on she recommends in the book. Been a while since I've picked it up.

Thanks for sharing your opinion on it!

I have also (briefly) checked out some other videos on Judy's Magic Cast On and on toe up socks in general, so maybe I'll eventually be able to tackle it using a combination of these resources!
kmaclean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 02:09 PM   #9
Jaxhil
Working the Gusset

I like the two-toe up on one circ method as well-I made a pair using Silver's Sock Tutorial for free on line (at least it was free at the time) and found the instructions to be excellent. (thanks Silver!!) .I also have the Two At a Time book by Melissa Morgan-Oaks, that is, her first one which is top down on 2 circs. It's been awhile since I looked at it but I love the patterns in it and she even has a Ravelry Group for the book. Maybe she has one for her newer Toe-Up Two at a Time book as well. I may go check that out myself, as I too have been wondering if I should get this book!

At any rate, to answer your question, CK83, I did find it easy and fun! I would definitely give it a go-and just to note, I used two balls of yarn (one for each sock) in two ziploc bags to keep from getting tangled. Good luck!
Jan in CA (02-05-2011)
Old 02-05-2011, 03:26 PM   #10
crazykntter83
Turning the Heel

Thanks Hilary. I'm seriously considering giving it a try. I saw in the pictures on Silver's Sock Tutorial that she had the yarn in two ziplock baggies. Seems like a wise idea to me.
Do ya'll think that I should go ahead and try two toe up socks at once, or should I go ahead and do one toe up sock first? Any advice would be appreciated!! Thanks for all the help guys! You're the best!!