Old 02-05-2011, 02:04 PM   #1
LMCGA
Casting On

Help Novice Knitter
I am knitting a scarf which calls for a "flat knot". The instructions for this are as follows:

"This knot is worked over 3 stitches: P3tog, yo, purl the same 3 stitches together again."

I am clueless about how to purl the same stitches together a second time. Do I keep them on the left hand needle? Do I purl just the single stitch or do I reach down and purl the 3 stitches individually again? And, if so, how on earth is this done?

I have tried this every way that I find possible and the results are a big mound of moosh.

Any response would be soooooooooo greatly appreciated.
LMCGA is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-05-2011, 02:45 PM   #2
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Yes, leave the sts on the L needle, yo and purl into them again. You're not purling them separately at all, do all 3 at once.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to suzeeq For This Useful Post:
LMCGA (02-06-2011)
Old 02-05-2011, 03:34 PM   #3
LMCGA
Casting On

Originally Posted by suzeeq View Post
Yes, leave the sts on the L needle, yo and purl into them again. You're not purling them separately at all, do all 3 at once.
Thank you for your reply. I am sorry to sound so dense but I still can't quite figure out how to do this. After I purl the 3 stitches together they will become one stitch which will remain on the left hand needle. When I go to purl those three stitches together again am I inserting my needle into the three separate stitches again? Or am I just purling the one stitch that was made by purling the 3 together? Am I making any sense?
Old 02-05-2011, 06:34 PM   #4
NausetKnits
Casting On

I hope I can help explain it in a way that makes sense.

Purl the 3 stitches together and leave the 3 stitches on the left needle, but the new stitch will actually be on your right needle. Wrap your yarn around your right needle to make the YO, then insert your right needle into the 3 stitches on your left needle that you already purled together once and purl them together again. On this final P3 together you'll remove those 3 stitches from the left needle. The result is that after this sequence you'll have 3 "new" stitches on your right hand needle.

Any other questions, please don't hesitate to ask

Kristen
NausetKnits is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NausetKnits For This Useful Post:
LMCGA (02-06-2011)
Old 02-06-2011, 10:57 AM   #5
LMCGA
Casting On

VOILA! I am so grateful to all of you for the help. I finally figured out my problem. After purling the 3 stitches together I was putting the purl stitch back on the LEFT hand needle. I feel like a complete moron.
This is the greatest knitting place. THANK YOU!