Old 02-09-2011, 08:14 PM   #21
crazykntter83
Turning the Heel

Send a message via Yahoo to crazykntter83
I would love to have lived in that time period. It has fasinated me....well, since I first read the LIW books as a little girl. I remember we had read Little House in the Big Woods, and I had read waaaaaaaaaaay ahead of everyone else, so I could move onto the next book lol. Needless to say, I ended up finishing before my class.

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-09-2011, 08:29 PM   #22
Gertie
Knitting the Flap

Originally Posted by cftwo View Post
For centuries people have knitted socks. I think they would have figured out a long time ago how to knit them in the round with DPNs (wood or metal, depending on what was available).

And I, for one, am very glad to live in times that include indoor plumbing.
I read or heard that centuries ago knitting was deemed too important to trust to a mere woman. Mariners would knit their own socks.

As for indoor plumbing, no argument here!! I also like my clothes & dish washers, central heating, central air conditioning, electric lighting, cell phones...

This book looks interesting
No Idle Hands: The Social History of American Knitting

Everyone stay warm in insulated, central heated homes.
Gertie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 12:13 PM   #23
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,761 Times in 7,129 Posts
Originally Posted by crazykntter83 View Post
I would love to have lived in that time period. It has fasinated me...
It fascinates me as well, but I'm better off reading about it. I can't imagine being without indoor plumbing, electricity, kitchen appliances, laundry appliances, computers, TV, cars, iPods... and all that clothing you had to wear even if it was 110 degrees!

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 12:58 PM   #24
Lighting57
Turning the Heel

My children and I both loved these books. I would read to them everynight for up to a hour before putting them to bed. Even when they were in their teens, they enjoyed having me read to them. I enjoyed doing it. Reading is so improtant. They both grew up loving to read themselves. My oldest granddaughter could read by the age of four and now that she is in the 1st grade she reads at a fourth grade level. Her two year old sister is following her.

No they are not brilliantly smart. They are great examples though of how early, how much, and how well children can learn when parents take the time to teach them.

There has been a lot of mention about Laura and her mother, but what most amazes me is that her blind sister Mary knitted as well. I know the blind can knit, but I have trouble not making and then finding mistakes. Their fingers must be super sensitive to find errrors along the way.
Lighting57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 01:14 PM   #25
MoniDew
Working the Gusset

I raised my children on those books. But we must bear in mind that these are stories of American pioneers. They may not be well known in other countries. It does not surprise me that our Canadian, Australian, and English counterpoints may be unaware LIW or her fables.
Old 05-08-2011, 03:31 PM   #26
Gertie
Knitting the Flap

I added "The Wilder Life" to my Amazon wish list. It was listed as a Parade Pic in the May 1st issue of Parade magazine. Amazon (& our library) have lots of non-fiction books about Laura.

Hope everyone is having a wonderful weekend!
Gertie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 11:04 AM   #27
sheltieowner
Casting On

How did LIW knit - continental or english?
[quote=nansie;1314449]As a fulltime Laura Ingalls Wilder researcher (and knitter), I can tell you that she did use double pointed needles. Laura's daughter Rose published THE WOMAN'S DAY BOOK OF AMERICAN NEEDLEWORK and it contains needlework by Rose, Laura, and Caroline. Some of the needlework is on display at the LIW Museum in Mansfield, Missouri, as well as knitting pins, thread, needles and other items used by Laura and Rose. I remember seeing metal knitting needles; don't remember wooden. I've seen at least one knitting pattern book of the family's on display at the LIW Memorial Society in De Smet.
Laura did have arthritis later in life, and in letters she lamented the fact that she had to give up handwork.

So did LIW knit continental or english style?
Thanks!
~Beth
sheltieowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 10:54 PM   #28
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 3,127 Times in 2,636 Posts
I don't know which style knitting she did, my guess would be English.

I just found this thread for the first time. I loved the books as a child, read them all. I read them to my children when they were young. The difference in perspective was amazing. As a child I thought it was all wonderful and sounded like a great way to grow up. As an adult, I saw it more from Ma's point of view and how she struggled to make a good home in difficult circumstances. Don't you suppose Pa would have made them knitting needles? I don't recall that it was ever mentioned though.

Happiness is catching that dropped stitch while it's still fixable..

GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 03:00 AM   #29
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,761 Times in 7,129 Posts
I read them as an adult when my girls were young. Loved them then, love them now. . And no, as fascinating as it sounds I prefer my modern life.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 07:48 AM   #30
NorthernIrelandKnitter
1st Leg of the Journey

I didn't grow up with Laura Ingalls Wilder, but 'met' her when the Little House on the Prairie series was aired here in the UK when my 2 older children were little. I loved the series and my daughter watched it with me when it was repeated some years later. I thought the last episode was very moving.

Strangely enough, I don't remember the girls or their mother knitting. Nor do I recall any mention of knitting in Laura's books, which I subsequently bought and loved. The family had a challenging life compared to us, that's for sure.

Gillian
NorthernIrelandKnitter is offline   Reply With Quote