Old 02-20-2011, 02:31 PM   #1
megaknit
Casting On

Sleeves in the round--help!!
I am working on the Samhain Hares tee from Yarn Forward magazine. It is worked body first in the round. Stitches are held on scrap yarn and worked after the body. I have now reached the point where I need to do the sleeves and I can't really figure out how to get started with it. The pattern says:
"Transfer held sts of one sleeve to dpn. Pick up and knit 10 sts from underarm, placing a marker after 5 sts. K 1 round." After this, short rows are worked.

Now, what is confusing me is that I cannot use dpns AT ALL. I do magic loop instead. So....the problem is figuring out which direction to have my magic loop needle and which way to place the stitches onto it. And then how to divide them for magic loop. Also, does the marker indicate the beginning of the round? I'm thinking if i am working in magic loop I will need to have the 10 picked up stitches divided evenly over both needles....? Help!

I hope someone can make this clear for me, as I am so close to having this project finished, it's driving me crazy!
megaknit is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-20-2011, 02:45 PM   #2
MerigoldinWA
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 1,834 Times in 1,737 Posts
Just to clarify.... have you knit the front and back and joined the shoulders and now are going to work short row cap sleeve, continuing the sleeve in the round to the cuff edge? Or have you already knit the sleeve
Quote:
The pattern says:
"Transfer held sts of one sleeve to dpn.
and somehow you are joining the sleeve to the shirt to continue the yoke area? Explain what is going on a little more. Please.
Old 02-20-2011, 02:51 PM   #3
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,764 Times in 7,132 Posts
Is the sweater worked top down or bottom up?

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 02:53 PM   #4
MerigoldinWA
Grafting the Toe

Jan I looked the pattern up on Ravelry and it is top down. Good thing to know.
Old 02-20-2011, 02:54 PM   #5
megaknit
Casting On

It is a short sleeved tee. The yoke is done and the whole body is complete. There are 34 sts held for each sleeve. After picking up as I described, there are 6 short rows and then the pattern says to change tosmaller needles, knit a round, then knit a 6 row cuff in moss stitch.

Does that make sense? This is my first sweater, so it is hard for me to know what is important...
Old 02-20-2011, 02:58 PM   #6
megaknit
Casting On

Oh yes, top down, sorry
Old 02-20-2011, 03:05 PM   #7
MerigoldinWA
Grafting the Toe

I get how it is worked now. But if you are working short rows you are really working flat and not in the round. I've just been doing a sleeve with a short row cap (totally different set up, but still short rows) and I am using dpns to work the short rows, I was wondering if a person could do short rows on a ML needle. Probably, but I have never tried it.

The stitches you had on the holder are the main part of the sleeve and the 10 you pick up are at the underarm, so right in the middle of those 10 stitches will be the very middle of the underarm. When you get to the point where you are actually working in the round that point would be the beginning of the round. If the short rows are worked from that center point (under the arm)back around to the center point again, I would assume you want to put all those stitches on your long needle and then pinch it to divide into two sections at the center of where the shoulder would be. I'm not exactly sure how short rows will work when you aren't working around, but back and forth, but give it a try. I know it works over dpns. Let us know if you figure it out.
Old 02-20-2011, 03:38 PM   #8
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,764 Times in 7,132 Posts
Originally Posted by MerigoldinWA View Post
I was wondering if a person could do short rows on a ML needle. Probably, but I have never tried it.
I don't know how this pattern is done, but yes, short rows can be done in the round. You still have to knit flat while it's still on the needles for the short row part, but the pick up is done in the round. I just did it for some socks and I've done it on a sweater to raise the back neck. I was using circular needles, but not ML. Her pattern may direct her, but I use this method.
http://www.woolywonder.com/forums/sh...1&postcount=34

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Last edited by Jan in CA : 02-20-2011 at 04:14 PM.
Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 04:16 PM   #9
megaknit
Casting On

I will just quote an example of how the short row part is phrased

"k to 12 sts before marker, w&t
p to 12 sts before marker, w&t"

you then do the same, but to 16 and then 20 sts before the marker.
It then says:

"next rnd: k all sts, picking up and working wraps together with wrapped sts as you come to them. K around to marker."
then the moss st cuff is done and you cast off.

Is that the typical way these short rows work? It seems odd, like half of the underarm sts are always worked and the other half not...and setting up my sts for ML. I'm not really getting it!

Thanks for all your help so far though!
Old 02-20-2011, 04:48 PM   #10
MerigoldinWA
Grafting the Toe

Quote:
"k to 12 sts before marker, w&t
p to 12 sts before marker, w&t"

you then do the same, but to 16 and then 20 sts before the marker.
Yes, that is standard for short rows. Your marker is at the underarm. What you are going to do it knit like you were going to knit all the way around the armhole, but you stop short 12 stitches before you get to that underarm marker, you wrap a stitch then turn the work so that you are on the purl side and do the next row. On this one you purl around but stop 12 stitches before the underarm marker, wrap and turn again.

Then you knit until you have 16 stitches to go to the marker and wrap and turn again, and purl until 16 before the marker, wrap a stitch and turn again.

Now you knit till 20 before the marker, wrap and turn. Purl to 20 before the marker, wrap and turn.

Now you have the right side facing you and this time you are going to actually work all the way around and each time you come to one of the stitches that has been wrapped you pick up the wrap so that it doesn't show on the front. Then you work in moss stitch for however many rounds it says.

How to set it up to work on ML I'm not real sure about, I gave my best guess already. But what is happening in this section is that you are knitting back and forth, flat, but you need some method to get you around the sharp curve of the sleeve and the designer chose dpns.

I know you can do short rows when working in the round, but during the short row part you are working flat, not really in the round for that part, then you can continue to work in the round. What I don't know is how to do it with the ML method. I can do it with dpns or on a circular that is the right length for the job, but ML...