Old 02-28-2011, 03:49 PM   #1
Lin
1st Leg of the Journey

Send a message via AIM to Lin
Knitting Pattern and mistakes
Hi, I've just started a new project...and restarted, and restarted and restarted, etc. Here is the problem. I have to follow a lace pattern. Now, that in itself isn't the problem...Inevitably I miss a stitch or do something wrong....OK...no big deal except that it is! Ordinarily I would just unknit. But with all the yarn overs and SSK and P3tog's, I just find myself mucking it all up and just pull everything off the needles and start over again...and again....and again...Now, that isn't too bad since I haven't gotten past 10 rows...(although that hurt to pull out 10 rows and start again...). Is there some easy way of unknitting when there are other stitches besides knit and purl?? Thanks!

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-28-2011, 04:02 PM   #2
Sheri
1st Leg of the Journey

Many people use a life line, meaning they thread dental floss or a very fine yarn (different color) and run it through the loops of a row, so if they can't fix a mistake, they can pull their needles out and unravel down to the life line - reinsert their needles and move forward. Fixing mistakes in a lace project can be difficult.
Sheri is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sheri For This Useful Post:
Lin (02-28-2011)
Old 02-28-2011, 04:08 PM   #3
Lin
1st Leg of the Journey

Oh thank you! I just thought it was me and that I was the dum dum that had to pull it all out...Now, in the beginning, it is frustrating, but I don't want to be half way done with the sweater back and do that! So, let me see if I understand you. I put a piece of yarn through the stitches with a needle? Do I take this lifeline out each time I complete a row? Is there a video to look at that will show me exactly how to make a "lifeline"??? Thank you very much!
Old 02-28-2011, 04:27 PM   #4
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
I believe there's a video on the Tips page for inserting a lifeline.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to suzeeq For This Useful Post:
Lin (02-28-2011)
Old 02-28-2011, 04:40 PM   #5
Lin
1st Leg of the Journey

Thank you, that was a big help...And I can assure you that I will be using a lifeline from now on...LOL
Old 02-28-2011, 07:38 PM   #6
wellslipmystitches
Knitting the Flap

Linda, The 'life line' is, of course a very big help. I've found that it helps me if I put markers - I just use little hunks of contrasting yarns - at the beginning and end of each repeat pattern in a lacy project. That way while I'm getting used to the pattern I can check for the correct # of sts. when I finish a section and if it's wrong I'll examine that section for the mistake and hopefully just back up to the previous section. It's just another way that might help and save time.

I'm doing one now that's supposed to be rather easy, however, the st. amount changes after the first row and doesn't return till the last row and I'm adding it to other things in my own design. At first it can be like opening a can of worms, but it sails along with some time and practice and if the math is right.

When I first tried the pattern I did what Lana's tag suggests:
*knit, rip* - rep. between *'s as often as necessary. I think that's an outstanding observation!

I've also had lots of time to make mistakes. Now I can back-up and fix yo's, ssk's and all kinds of nasty animals . . . usually(lately, yo, sktp backwards has been my downfall.) But you haven't made enough mistakes yet to have that kind of experience :<)
Jean
wellslipmystitches is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wellslipmystitches For This Useful Post:
Lin (03-03-2011)
Old 03-03-2011, 01:00 PM   #7
Lin
1st Leg of the Journey

Hi Jean,
Thank you for taking the time to respond to me! I'm sorry that I didn't reply sooner. I will try your suggestion, too. This isn't a difficult pattern, it is just that I get lost in my thoughts and forget to do a stitch, etc. I really wish I could be so experienced to be able to "unknit" SSK's, YO's etc. I'm using the lifeline now, but it is kind of a nuisance...LOL...But not more than a nuisance than ripping it all out and starting over...Thanks again! I wish there was a knitting club in my area...I've tried to start one, but no interest!
Old 03-03-2011, 02:58 PM   #8
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Decs and YOs aren't that difficult to unknit, just put the L needle into both sts and pull out the stitch on the needle. The YOs fall off by themselves. I rip back to the row above the one I need to fix, ending at the end of a RS row. Then I put the L needle into the sts as I pull out the last row stitch by stitch. If some of them get put on the needle turned the wrong way, I just turn them around or knit tbl to make them right.

Last edited by suzeeq : 03-04-2011 at 10:11 AM.
suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to suzeeq For This Useful Post:
Lin (03-04-2011)
Old 03-04-2011, 02:05 AM   #9
Lin
1st Leg of the Journey

Thank you everyone!! All suggestions are welcome and useful to me!!