Old 03-11-2011, 10:58 PM   #1
Breezed
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to Breezed
Kids and Fibers
I see most charity and or baby/children related items are usually knit in acrylic. Is this to compensate for possible allergies? Are many children allergic to animal and plant fibers? I don't have children so I don't really know these things.

Breezed is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-12-2011, 01:40 AM   #2
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,797 Times in 7,157 Posts
Some charities don't want wool, some don't want acrylic so it's wise to check before you do something if they're for children. I have used both.

I think may of us use acrylic because of cost and it's washable. You never know with charities if it'll go so someone who has washing facilities.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jan in CA For This Useful Post:
Breezed (03-13-2011)
Old 03-12-2011, 10:28 AM   #3
fatoldladyinpjs
Working the Gusset

Yes, some kids have allergies. It's mostly because items will shrink when washed. If you're looking for economical acrylic yarn for charity, Caron One Pound yarn is good. I'm not sure about
Florida with the weather. Here in Wisconsin, hats and mittens are always welcome at the Salvation Army and any elementary school. A school near me says kids come in the office every day looking for something warm to wear at recess. The problem is that swimsuits and summer wear come out in January. You can't buy winter clothing after that but it's still needed. When my son was little, he outgrew his snowsuit in February. I couldn't find one in the stores. Out of desperation, I had to crochet him a hooded jacket. I made it a little big. The bright side was that as he grew, I just crocheted more rows on the ends of the sleeves and bottom of the jacket. He wore it for two or three years. You could probably do this with knitting if a jacket is knit from the top down.
fatoldladyinpjs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fatoldladyinpjs For This Useful Post:
Breezed (03-13-2011)
Old 03-12-2011, 12:59 PM   #4
hookedonknitting
1st Leg of the Journey

Agreed about shrinkage. Most stuff that goes into hospitals get washed in hot water. Also acrylic baby yarns tend not to be too scratchy or rough for babys and preeemie babies. I don't think I have heard not to plant fibers as I did donate a bamboo nicu hat without problem. I think Bevs country cottage has a whole bunch of info on knitting donateable items

PS I think it is bevs...
hookedonknitting is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to hookedonknitting For This Useful Post:
Breezed (03-13-2011)
Old 03-12-2011, 01:09 PM   #5
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,500 Times in 3,175 Posts
I like Caron's Simply Soft and Bernat Satin for hats, booties and sweaters for hospitals. They're acrylic so they meet with the requirements some have for acrylics yet they are soft enough for preemies and babies.
salmonmac is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to salmonmac For This Useful Post:
Breezed (03-13-2011)
Old 03-12-2011, 03:08 PM   #6
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Yeah..just to add to this about softness..I wouldn't use something like Red Heart Super Saver for a baby. Use another softer acrylic like the ones mentioned above.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Breezed (03-13-2011)
Old 03-13-2011, 01:48 PM   #7
Breezed
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to Breezed
Thanks everyone for the information. It was very helpful. I have several of the Caron One Pound in multiple colors that were given to me. Since I won't use it for myself, I was considering using it to make a couple quick knit newborn items, like a blankie and a bunny for my boss. She is due in May.

Breezed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 04:40 PM   #8
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Originally Posted by Breezed View Post
Thanks everyone for the information. It was very helpful. I have several of the Caron One Pound in multiple colors that were given to me. Since I won't use it for myself, I was considering using it to make a couple quick knit newborn items, like a blankie and a bunny for my boss. She is due in May.
Perfect!

~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Breezed (03-13-2011)