Old 11-29-2007, 03:34 PM   #1
Jolita
Casting On

Drop spindle versus spinning wheel?
Dear Friends,

I am a passionate knitter. As many of you (I think) I realized that I am not satisfied with the yarn I could buy (especially in such a small market like Lithuania). I buy only natural fibers and prefer luxurious blends from soft wool, cashmere, alpaca, angora, silk etc. So I ended up with few drop spindles and tops of different fibers. I planned to buy a spinning wheel and though that with a spinning wheel I can produce more even and beautiful yarn and of course more quickly. I was extremely surprised than in the Priscillaís A.Gibson-Roberts book I found the assumption that with a spinning wheel you canít produce such even yarn as with a drop spindle, because you can better control the flow, drafting and twist. I found the book Spinning in the Old Way amazing and I think she (Priscilla) is a real expert. Does it make than the sense to buy a spinning wheel? I canít try any spinning wheel because I donít know anybody who spins (in our country it is not popular at all). Please help me to make a decision. Any opinion is welcome.

Thank You in advance,
Jolita
Jolita is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-29-2007, 03:43 PM   #2
Kime
1st Leg of the Journey

You can certainly spin fine and even yarns with a spinning wheel, and it is faster. I always had more trouble getting even yarn with a drop spindle, but I didn't practice as much as I did with the wheel. We have spinning groups here like spinning clubs and nearly everyone gets a wheel if they keep spinning.
Kime is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kime For This Useful Post:
Jolita (12-03-2007)
Old 11-29-2007, 04:31 PM   #3
hocns
1st Leg of the Journey

I have done both, and love my wheels. Drop spindles really annoy me, even though some people are very good at it. I can't see getting a more even twist from a drop spindle than from a wheel, although I'm sure that varies from person to person.
hocns is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to hocns For This Useful Post:
Jolita (12-03-2007)
Old 12-01-2007, 02:38 PM   #4
Julie
Instepping Out

I definitely agree that it depends on the spinner. I spin both ways and I love them both. I got pretty proficient on a spindle before I bought my wheel, and I'm really glad I did things in that order...but some people just never feel the spindle love. I was glad to get my drafting skills down before I had to worry about treadling too. But really, there's no right or wrong way to learn.

People always talk about wheels being faster, and they are -- but that doesn't mean that spindles are horrendously slow. If I predraft I can spin about 100 yards in an hour on a spindle...so it's not as though it takes two weeks to spin a skein of yarn. It's just a different process. And as you learn you'll probably find that there are things to like about either method.

That said -- I wouldn't be too nervous about buying a wheel without having used one -- of course it's best to try before you buy, but if you're determined to learn, IMO it's not a deal-breaker. I hadn't spun on a wheel before mine came (well, I did spend about 5 minutes on a Traveller...not very significant) and with the help of the Internet I was able to get up and going pretty quickly.
The Following User Says Thank You to Julie For This Useful Post:
Jolita (12-03-2007)
Old 12-03-2007, 12:05 AM   #5
redwitch
Working the Gusset

Many people would be happy to order/receive things for you and send them overseas to you, I think. If there's anything you want from NZ and can't have sent to you, I would forward it for you

Sarah
redwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to redwitch For This Useful Post:
Jolita (12-03-2007)
Old 12-03-2007, 01:01 PM   #6
Jolita
Casting On

Thanks!Decision made
Dear Friends,

Thank you very much for Your thoughts. After I studied Priscillaís book I ordered a new spindle. It seams that a lot depends from a good spindle too I think I will buy a spinning wheel. Now I should decide which one. Thanks to internet the best two markets for spinners (US and NZ) are open to us too and I order everything possible through internet.

Thank you once again,
Jolita
Jolita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 07:09 AM   #7
Edvinasal
Casting On

Hi! whwre do you by a drop spindle in lithuania?

Labas! kur perki verpstukus lietuvoje?
Edvinasal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 04:57 PM   #8
ZoeS
1st Leg of the Journey

I would try e-bay and look for sellers who ship world wide.
ZoeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 03:29 AM   #9
ElsieAlford
Casting On

Originally Posted by ZoeS View Post
I would try e-bay and look for sellers who ship world wide.

I agree e-bay is the best place for that.