Old 03-15-2011, 02:09 AM   #1
Jeanette123
Casting On

Staying in patt while decreasing
Hello,

I'm having difficulty understanding the pattern I am trying to create. I'm at the stage where I need to start decreasing and the pattern is confusing me.

It says:
Beg front slope shaping -
Dec 1 st purlways at each end of the next row and then the following alternate row twice.

Firstly would it be every alt purl row or just every alt row?

The pattern doesn't say what to do on the right side. Before decreasing i would -
k1,inc next st, k4, sl1, k1, psso, k2tog, k4, *inc in each of next two sts, k4, sl1,k1, psso, k2tog, k4* to last 2 st icl in next st, k1

Because i no longer have enough st for the k1, inc, k4, sl1, k1, psso, k2. do I just knit the first sts until I can start the pattern correctly?

Please Help.

Jeanette
Jeanette123 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-15-2011, 05:25 AM   #2
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,422 Times in 3,101 Posts
Hi Jeannette, It's every alt row. And yes, I think in order to balance out the two sides, you should knit the initial sts until you can pick up the pattern in the repeat (* *) section. You'll be deleting both the net decrease of one st on the right side and the net increase of one on the left side, so it balances out.
salmonmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 02:24 AM   #3
Jeanette123
Casting On

Thanks for your help. I'm back on my way.
Old 03-28-2011, 05:00 AM   #4
Jeanette123
Casting On

Confused again
Hi,

I'm lost again. I divided for the arm holes, but the pattern keeps getting messed up and I'm not sure how to fix it. The pattern says:

Keeping pattern correct, dec one (as before) at each end of every following alt row 3 times, then at beg (front edge) only in every following alt row 8 times, then in every foll 4th row until 20 stitches rem.

I've done this but end with no pattern, as the pattern keeps veering to the left and I run out of stitches on the left side. Do I just restart the pattern on the right side????
Old 03-28-2011, 06:38 AM   #5
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,422 Times in 3,101 Posts
You are going to run out of sts for the pattern repeat because you're knitting sts on the left side and you're decreasing on the right side until you don't have 14sts left for the full pattern repeat. The pattern should continue as you look up the middle columns of sts although you will have knit sts on either side of the pattern until you reach 20 sts.
The piece of knitting itself is slanting left because of the decreases on one side but the pattern should remain without a jog to the left. Keep checking the front of the work to make sure you're re-starting the pattern repeat in the correct place (i.e. over the correct st in the rows below) to continue the pattern.
salmonmac is offline   Reply With Quote