Old 03-18-2011, 02:50 AM   #1
zipraygun
Casting On

Lining and Earflaps - please help
Hi,

I'm trying to work on a hat with earflaps, but not understanding the pattern so well. Can someone please help?

Pattern:
Cast on 88 stitches. place round marker & join.

Note: Earflaps are worked in short rows, w/remaining sts left on needle.

Work approx. 2.75" in stockinette stitch.

Begin working the first earflap as follows: P8,k21, turn
Next row: P21, turn
Next row: K20, turn
Continue working short rows, working 1 less stitch on each row, until 4 knit stitches remain.
Next row: P4, turn
New row: K5, turn
Continue in rows working 1 more stitch at the end of each row, ending last row with K21. First earflap is complete.
Continuing on, P30, K21, turn
Work 2nd earflap the same as 1st earflap on 21 stitches just worked
Continuing on, P8 to the end of round.
Change to US 7 circular needle and work in stockinette until the same depth as lining.

--
So far i've casted on 88 sts and started knitting in the round using stockinette stitch.

i'm not sure how to continue with the earflaps and now sue what it means when it says "working 1 less stitch on each row" and "working 1 more stitch at the end of each row.

Thank you.
zipraygun is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-18-2011, 05:25 AM   #2
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,467 Times in 3,143 Posts
I think that if you start with the described rows you'll see exactly what is meant. When you've completed 2.75" in the round, you are going to begin working on just a small set of the sts on the needles. P8,k21, turn the work around (because you're now going to work back and forth, until you complete the earflap and lining), and p21, turn, k20, turn, p19, turn, k 18, turn, p17, etc. and keep adding rows with one less st in each row until you have 4 sts on the needle. Just leave those unworked sts on the needle, you'll use them when you work the lining.
Now you're at the bottom of the earflap and for the lining, you're going to turn and p4 and then purl 1 more st from the left needle, turn, k5 and also knit 1 more st from the left needle. Keep working 1 more stitch in each row until you finish k21. I think this will all become clearer as you actually work the sts. Good luck with the hat!
salmonmac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to salmonmac For This Useful Post:
zipraygun (03-19-2011)
Old 03-19-2011, 04:15 AM   #3
zipraygun
Casting On

Thanks for your help salmonmac. i've followed your instructions on knitting the first earflap and have ended with 4 sts. Now i'm trying to work on the lining. the pattern asked for p4 turn, k5 turn. But following your methodology, it sounds like p4,p1,turn,k5,k1,turn. Why is that i add an extra stitch before i turn? I apologize if i'm misreading your instructions.
Old 03-19-2011, 04:57 AM   #4
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Sorry for being confusing. You're absolutely right because the pattern says,
"Next row: P4, turn
New row: K5, turn
Continue in rows working 1 more stitch at the end of each row, ending last row with K21. First earflap is complete."

So you would do just that, p4, turn and then k4 plus k1 more, turn, p5 and then p1 more, turn, k6 and k1 more etc.
All the best!
Old 03-19-2011, 10:20 PM   #5
zipraygun
Casting On

Can't thank you enough for walking me through this pattern. I've completed the two earflaps and lining.

Can you please explain this part to me?

Joining the lining:
Pick up 88 sts from the original cast on with smaller needles. Join to main body of the hat by knitting one sts off of each of the left needles as you would for a 3 needle bind off.

So from reading this, it seems like i'm going to connect the lining together. But i'm not sure about how to join the main body?
Old 03-20-2011, 06:19 AM   #6
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Do you have a link to the pattern? I'm guessing a bit in what follows:
It sounds like you have the 2.75 inches with the earflaps and also the main body of the hat. The main body of the hat is still on a needle perhaps? The instructions are to go to the cast on edge (the 88sts) of the piece with the earflaps and pick up 88 sts. There's a video at the top of this page under Free Videos, Tips, that shows you how to pick up sts in case you need to see it done. Then the pattern calls for joining these picked up sts to the main body (presumably also 88sts) as you would for a 3 needle bind off. There's a video for that too, under Free Videos, Cast Off. Since they say "as you would" for a 3 needle bind off, I suspect that you just work one st from each needle without the bind off step (the slipping one st over the other on the right hand needle step as in the video). You'll end up with 88 sts live sts on your needle. See if that makes sense with instructions that follow.
Old 03-20-2011, 02:28 PM   #7
zipraygun
Casting On

Here is the pattern:

Joining the lining
Carefully pick up 88 stitches from the original cast on with the smaller needle. Join to main body of the hat by knitting one stitch off of each of the left needles as you would for a 3
needle bind off.

Continue knitting in stockinette until the hat measures 5.5” from folded edge.

Shape Crown
Note: Change to double pointed needles when there are no longer enough stitches to work on circular needle.
Decrease Round: K9, K2tog
Straight round: K

Continue decreasing every other round until 8 st remain. Pull tail through remaining stitches to secure and weave in all ends.

Spikes – Make 12:
CO 11 st.
P 11, turn
K 10, turn
P 9, turn
Continue until last row is P 1. Turn work.
K 2, turn.
P 3, turn. Continue until all of the sts have been worked (end P 11.)

Bind off leaving last st on the right needle. Before pulling the tail through the last st on the needle, pick up (but do not work) 1 loop in the CO area. BO this new st and pull tail through.
This gives a more finished look to the CO area. If using a long tail CO, it will look nearly seamless. Weave in the shorter of the two tails.

Using the other tail attach the spikes to the hat at a slight angle to each other using a whip stitch. Pick up just the top leg of the st on the hat and very little of the stitching will show on the wrong side.

Last edited by zipraygun : 03-20-2011 at 07:59 PM.
Old 03-20-2011, 04:14 PM   #8
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Yes, you do only the first part of the 3 needle bind off, the part where you work one st from each needle without the bind off step (the slipping one st over the other on the right hand needle step as in the video) and you continue on the 88 sts you now have after this join. Give it a try and come back if it doesn't make sense.
(Best to edit out some of the above pattern so there are not copyright problems.)
Old 03-30-2011, 06:40 PM   #9
zipraygun
Casting On

Thanks salmonmac. I finished knitting the hat with your help =)
Old 03-30-2011, 07:35 PM   #10
salmonmac
Mod Squad

I'm delighted. I wish you many more successful projects!