Old 03-27-2011, 02:40 PM   #61
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,891 Times in 3,012 Posts
Originally Posted by Jan in CA View Post
Interesting...verrry interesting!

http://www.npr.org/2011/03/27/134897...er?sc=fb&cc=fp
http://theunlockr.com/2011/03/03/sam...d-nook-color/#

OMG, Jan, OMG! If I owned a Nook Color...even I could follow his directions and root my Nook! WOW!

Did you read this at the end of the article?

"Barnes & Noble declined to comment on the use of its Nook Color e-book reader as an Android tablet. The terms of service for the device make it clear that rooting voids the warranty. But recent talk in the tech blogosphere indicates that the company may soon issue a software update that will make the Nook more of a tablet without hacking it."

Artlady at Rav
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-27-2011, 02:57 PM   #62
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,739 Times in 7,111 Posts
Yeah, I did read that. I don't think I want to void the warranty on anything, but I thought this was very cool.

I looked on Consumer Reports (I have a subscription) and it's not a recommended reader, but I suspect that is due the quite a bit more expensive cost vs. the Kindle (even with 3G). Personally I'm more attracted to anything with a touch screen though so if I was going to get a reader I'd probably go with the Nook.

BTW..in looking at tablet computers the iPad in the highest rated. The Motorola Xoom is recommended, but is more expensive than iPad.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 03:15 PM   #63
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,891 Times in 3,012 Posts
Originally Posted by Jan in CA View Post
....in looking at tablet computers the iPad in the highest rated. The Motorola Xoom is recommended, but is more expensive than iPad.
I read that too! But I didn't realize the Xoom was more expensive!

I dunno...you know me...that last to jump on the bandwagon. I'm going to use my Droidx throughout 2011 for all of my on-the-go internet needs...or, for when I'm being too lazy to walk from my knitting chair into my office laptop!

The Droidx has really spoiled me! However, using my laptop for keyboarding is much quicker, and efficient. SWYPE is fast for the Droidx virtual keyboard...but not as fast as my fingers on this laptop keyboard!

When I'm loading photos into my Rav projects...I can't use the touch screen on the Droidx to 'drag/drop' photos from your Flickr tool into the project. So...the laptop isn't going to go anywhere, regardless of the SCARE about laptops being a thing of the past someday.

This CLOUD thing is ridiculous. You've no doubt read about it. It's being heavily promoted on TV ads. Lots of talk out there about it making real software (on our 'puters) become obsolete. I do not want to do my business in the CLOUD, somewhere in outer space. I want my software right here in my office. They can shove the CLOUD.

It might serve some folks' needs...but not mine.

Artlady at Rav
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 09:54 AM   #64
sakura-panda
Turning the Heel

I did it backwards, where I got my iPad first, loved it so much that I bought an iPod Touch.

Supposedly it is very easy to root a Nook, with very little risk of bricking it. (Even the not-color Nook can be rooted to run apps.) I am intrigued by the idea, but I don't think that the Android OS is tablet-ready and that the majority of apps probably don't look good on the larger screen, similar to the way iPhone apps are not optimized for the iPad.

I'd rather wait for the next OS -- "Gingerbread" -- that is supposed to specifically support tablets and see how the reviews are, before I consider any sort of larger Android device. My smartphone with the 4" screen will do just fine for now!
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 01:28 PM   #65
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Katie, why would you want an android tablet since you have an iPad?

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Old 03-31-2011, 10:56 AM   #66
sakura-panda
Turning the Heel

Jan -- I'm a bit of a tech junkie and I gravitate toward things that are shiny and new. Now that I have upgraded my phone to one that has a larger screen and actually *responds* when I want to do things, I'm not likely to be getting another Android app device.

However, while researching my phone, it's hard to search for "Samsung" and "Android" and not end up with a lot of information about the tablets too. The phone I was researching (and ultimately bought) is a "Galaxy S" phone, which is also the basis for the Samsung tablet. I ended up inadvertantly researching for both and even considered whether it would be better to upgrade to a tablet and continue with my current phone.

In the end I decided to go with replacing my phone and I think I made the right choice for me.

You are correct that since I have an iPad, and since it suits a particular purpose for me, I really don't have any need for another tablet.
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 01:14 PM   #67
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Ohhh I love techie stuff and gadgets, but my limited budget keeps me under control. Now I have an iPod Touch, an iPhone 3gs as well as my desktop PC (Dell). DH said he'd let me get the iPad, but I'm thinking of selling my camera to help fund my habit.

~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~