Old 03-31-2011, 05:17 PM   #1
BleuBea
Casting On

Short row clarification
Hi Everyone,

I have a question about a pattern. Its saying to do short row on the first 10 stitches and then to turn and purl 9 etc. until there are 2 left on the needle.

Now, my question is, do I do this in the round or do I switch them to two needles first? This is my first time trying a pattern with short row. The pattern said to use either 2 circulars or dpn.
BleuBea is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-31-2011, 05:29 PM   #2
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
What's the pattern? That could help us understand it better.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 05:30 PM   #3
BleuBea
Casting On

I'm hoping I made some sense in my previous post but to help understand what I'm asking here's part of the pattern

Heel:
Work short rows back and forth on the first 10 sts: K9, turn, P8, turn, K7, turn etc… until you have 2sts in the middle. Continue working short rows picking up 1 st each row before turning. When you are back to 10sts, at beginning of main body rows, knit foot.

Do I switch to two needles for the heel? and where it says to pick up the first stitch, does that mean I increase it?

ETA: the pattern started with 24 stitches then was decreased to 20.

Last edited by BleuBea : 03-31-2011 at 06:02 PM. Reason: Forgot to mention
Old 03-31-2011, 06:22 PM   #4
suzeeq
Knit On!

Oh socks - I don't knit them, but from what I understand, yes, you can just knit the heel sts on 2 of the needles and put the rest of them on the others. You don't increase, you just knit one of the sts that you left behind when you were knitting the short rows. So if you're down to 2 sts, then the next row you work those 2, then one more; turn and work those 3, then one more until you've got all the sts back.

Old 03-31-2011, 06:43 PM   #5
BleuBea
Casting On

Originally Posted by suzeeq View Post
Oh socks - I don't knit them, but from what I understand, yes, you can just knit the heel sts on 2 of the needles and put the rest of them on the others. You don't increase, you just knit one of the sts that you left behind when you were knitting the short rows. So if you're down to 2 sts, then the next row you work those 2, then one more; turn and work those 3, then one more until you've got all the sts back.
Ok. So I would put 10 stitches on one needle and knit 9 like it says, then to the wrap with the remaining stitch? Do I then turn, leaving the remaining 10 stitches untouched, and purl the first 8? or do I knit the first one then purl?

I'm so confused lol
Old 03-31-2011, 06:54 PM   #6
suzeeq
Knit On!

It says it in the pattern -

Work short rows back and forth (that means 'flat' not in the round) on the first 10 sts: K9, turn, P8, turn, K7, turn etc…

knit the 9 sts, don't wrap, it doesn't say to and you don't need to for heels. Just turn and p8, turn and k7, turn and p 6, turn and k5, turn and p 4, turn and k3, turn and p2. Turn and knit those 2 and 1 from the leftover sts. Turn and p3 plus 1 one of the leftovers. Turn and k4 plus 1, turn and p5 plus one, and so on until you've got all 10 sts worked again, then keep knitting in the round.

Old 03-31-2011, 06:58 PM   #7
BleuBea
Casting On

Thank you! I was wracking my brain trying to envision how this was done =)
Old 04-01-2011, 10:09 AM   #8
fatoldladyinpjs
Working the Gusset

I use circular needles to knit socks. The stitches for the top part of the foot (instep) just sit on the needles and you leave them alone, unworked, when you get to the heel part. You'll have half the stitches unworked for the top, and you'll work the other half of the stitches for the bottom of the foot. These short rows help the heel part to bend into a cup shape to fit around your heel. You will knit the first row as the directions say. Then you will turn the needles around to the purl side like you would with straight needles and work that side. You will knit one less stitch and wrap it on the end of each knit row. You'll wrap the second to last stitch on the purl row on the knit side. It will be like knitting a triangle. After you've gotten down to the last two stitches, you'll turn the work to the knit side. You'll knit these two stitches. You will knit one more stitch on each row. You'll knit the wrap and the third stitch together, turn, purl 3, purl the wrap and fourth stitch together. You'll keep going like this, knitting one more stitch with the wrap on each row until you get back to your original stitch count. After this, you'll knit across all these stitches, knit across the stitches you've let rest, and continue knitting in the round. This will be the foot part. You knit straight until you come to the toe decreases. I hope this makes sense.
fatoldladyinpjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 10:45 AM   #9
suzeeq
Knit On!

If the pattern doesn't say to wrap, you don't. And it's my understanding with short row heels you don't need to wrap.