Old 04-03-2011, 08:36 AM   #1
ravonavon
Casting On

baby blanket
Hi,
I am going to start knitting a baby blanket in the round using circular needles. The pattern calls for needles size 7x24. I cannot seem to find that size. Also I will only cast on 5 stitches to start, then increase as I go along. I find it very very difficult to join a small amount of stitches on the circular needle. Do you have any suggestions for me. I cannot use double pointed needles.

Thank You,
Doris
ravonavon is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-03-2011, 08:43 AM   #2
ravonavon
Casting On

ravonavon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 09:35 AM   #3
fatoldladyinpjs
Working the Gusset

That is a difficult size. I use Knitpicks interchangeable needles. The cables are various lengths. I typically use 29 and 32 inches because that's what came with my set. What I like about mine is that you can purchase a small metal connector that connects two cables to make them longer. This is handy when knitting sweaters and afghans. The 24 is merely a suggestion. Feel free to buy a longer circular. You can always use them later for other things. I use the magic loop method on circulars rather than double points. The 32 is about right for gloves and mittens. When I'm knitting hats in ML they're a little short. If the 32's seem a bit long for this circular project there's a way to get around that. Firmly hold onto the stitches on the left needle so they won't come off. Pull the right needle gently out of the stitches and gather the circle a little tighter. You'll have a rabbit ear cable loop on the outside of the work. Just leave it there and keep knitting around. If the work seems tight and hard to handle, pull the right needle out again and leave another loop on the outside to give yourself some slack. It's probably a good idea to use a stitch marker to mark the beginning of the round so you won't get confused.

Knitting needle companies want you to think that you need to buy several different length circular needles. This is how they make money. The patterns that really irk me are the ones that tell you to buy a certain length circular. Then they say, when it gets too difficult to knit anymore with the decreases, switch to double points. More money. You can use magic loop when you come to this point or use my rabbit ear method. Don't let those companies deceive you as to what you should buy. I can knit as few as three or four stitches in the round on my circulars.

I don't want to discourage you from using this pattern, but you may want to try one like I'm currently knitting. You can do the straight knitting back and forth on the circulars. You cast on however many stitches you want the width to be. Knit one row, purl one row. Do a k1,p1 rib for two rows. Repeat this pattern. This is a thermal blanket stitch which makes the blanket very thick and warm. It creates little air pockets like thermal underwear and looks great on both sides.
fatoldladyinpjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 10:04 AM   #4
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
If you can't find 24" circs you can use 29 or 32" instead and work in Magic loop which is on the Advanced Techniques page. After you get more sts and ML doesn't work, but there's not enough sts to fit around the needle, you can do the single loop version.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 10:27 AM   #5
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,507 Times in 3,181 Posts
You could also try knitting several initial rows on straight needles until you have enough sts to go on a small circular size 7, say a 16". You would then have a small seam to finish in just the very interior of the blanket. Switch to the 24" when there are enough sts.
salmonmac is online now   Reply With Quote