Old 04-03-2011, 02:08 PM   #1
ABC's Mom
Knitting the Flap

Old style circular knitting needles
Hi everyone,
I am looking for the maker of plastic circular needles that were made probably 20 years ago. I found these needles in my long forgotten stash that I used many years ago. These needles are molded as a single piece therefore the the transition from the cord to the needle is the smoothest I've seen yet. These are a white plastic with a slight bend in the needle about an inch from the cord. The gal at the local yarn shop said she recognized the style but couldn't remember the name of the maker. Does something like this even exist any more?
Thanks for your help.
ABC's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-03-2011, 02:49 PM   #2
fatoldladyinpjs
Working the Gusset

I have one similar to it that I purchased at a thrift store. I have the original package. Mine is the Hero Nylo-Hoop one piece nylon circular needle. It was manufactured by the Hero Manufacturing Co, Inc. in Middleboro, Mass. It says Patent Applied for Article Number 301. You can probably get more info on this from the US Patent Office online.

I'm not finding out a whole lot about this company. As near as I can figure, this company was in business in the late 1930's. This website has an old vintage Weave It book from them with a date of 1937. I'm guessing the needles were from that time period.

http://www.eloomanation.com/projects.php

Here's a picture of the one like mine. Is this it?
http://knitting-needles.net/2-boye-c...o-hoop-needle/

These needles must have been cutting edge technology. I think this was about the time nylon was invented. Your needles are 80 some years old. Congratulations on a great find!

Last edited by fatoldladyinpjs : 04-03-2011 at 03:26 PM.
fatoldladyinpjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 05:05 PM   #3
mjrekedal
Casting On

Nylon Circular knitting needles
I have just joined this forum, a crocheter trying my had at knitting, and I'm amazed that I can actually answer! I inherited my mom-in-law's knitting material, including her circular needles. Hers are Susan Bates by C.J. Bates & Co, Chester, Conn. 06412. They look like the photo sent in by fatoldladyinpjs, but are in either pink or steel gray. Hope this helps in your search.
mjrekedal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 06:09 PM   #4
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Yep, I have a couple of them, I think both are Susan Bates nylon not plastic needles. Boye might also have made them too. You may be able to find some on ebay if you'd like to get more. I agree, they're great needles. Mine are size 13 and 15, I did have 10s but they kept getting chewed by the cats and would split and splinter. That happened to 2 of them.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 11:27 AM   #5
ABC's Mom
Knitting the Flap

Originally Posted by fatoldladyinpjs View Post
I have one similar to it that I purchased at a thrift store. I have the original package. Mine is the Hero Nylo-Hoop one piece nylon circular needle. It was manufactured by the Hero Manufacturing Co, Inc. in Middleboro, Mass. It says Patent Applied for Article Number 301. You can probably get more info on this from the US Patent Office online.

I'm not finding out a whole lot about this company. As near as I can figure, this company was in business in the late 1930's. This website has an old vintage Weave It book from them with a date of 1937. I'm guessing the needles were from that time period.

http://www.eloomanation.com/projects.php

Here's a picture of the one like mine. Is this it?
http://knitting-needles.net/2-boye-c...o-hoop-needle/

These needles must have been cutting edge technology. I think this was about the time nylon was invented. Your needles are 80 some years old. Congratulations on a great find!

Thanks for your prompt reply. These look like the ones I found in my stash. I'm not sure where they came from, unless I rescued them from my grandmother when she moved to Oregon from MI back in the 80"s. She is the one who originally taught me how to crochet. No mean feat since she was a right hander and I'm a lefty! Mine are a size 10 and I really like them as there is no catching on the cord. I'll keep looking to see if I can find any more of them at estate sales, etc.
ABC's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 12:29 PM   #6
cheley
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by yonker4152 View Post
Thanks for your prompt reply. These look like the ones I found in my stash. I'm not sure where they came from, unless I rescued them from my grandmother when she moved to Oregon from MI back in the 80"s. She is the one who originally taught me how to crochet. No mean feat since she was a right hander and I'm a lefty! Mine are a size 10 and I really like them as there is no catching on the cord. I'll keep looking to see if I can find any more of them at estate sales, etc.
Look at what I have in my stash!!!! Check out the price!!! I think this is what you mean? Sorry bout the flash, It is a Romaxe Deluxe Nylon Circular mine is a US4 29"...I am pretty sure I found it on Ebay...

cheley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 02:25 AM   #7
KatzKnitter
1st Leg of the Journey

Try Ebay. I just bought Boye Balenes there, and they've been discontinued for a while.
KatzKnitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 08:59 AM   #8
flhusker
Casting On

I still have some of these and still use them. I bought mine back in the 60s or early 70s and they are Susan Bates. I love them.
Flhusker
flhusker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 04:00 PM   #9
Laceluvr
Casting On

old style knitting needles
Hi,
There were several makers of the nylon circular needles. I have several that I bought in the late 60's & 70's from the Super Yarn Mart (a chain of stores that sold yarn/knitting/crochet & neelework supplies). Some were made by the Hero company which is no longer in business. Most of the ones I bought were from the Boye Co. & also Susan Bates made them, and also Marcia Lynn. I have emailed Susan Bates to see if they had any old backstock of these needles for sale. I also asked if they would consider making them again. I got no response, so now I Google "vintage nylon knitting needles" and have bought some on the internet (Etsy.com is a good source). These all nylon knitting needles are my favorites as they are perfect for lace knitting which is what I love to knit the most. Since they are one continuous length of nylon, they have no join that can snag the delicate mohair and fine wool yarns that are used for lace knitting. Perhaps if we could get enough people to write to Susan Bates, they could be persuaded to re-manufacture them. In the meantime, I will search the internet and haunt yard sales to find them. They are well worth the effort.
Laceluvr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laceluvr For This Useful Post:
artsy1 (08-10-2013)
Old 08-10-2013, 01:59 AM   #10
artsy1
Ribbing the Cuff

i found these listed on ebay,
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vtg-Hero-Nyl...-/321096309253

might check there too

Originally Posted by Laceluvr View Post
Hi,
There were several makers of the nylon circular needles. I have several that I bought in the late 60's & 70's from the Super Yarn Mart (a chain of stores that sold yarn/knitting/crochet & neelework supplies). Some were made by the Hero company which is no longer in business. Most of the ones I bought were from the Boye Co. & also Susan Bates made them, and also Marcia Lynn. I have emailed Susan Bates to see if they had any old backstock of these needles for sale. I also asked if they would consider making them again. I got no response, so now I Google "vintage nylon knitting needles" and have bought some on the internet (Etsy.com is a good source). These all nylon knitting needles are my favorites as they are perfect for lace knitting which is what I love to knit the most. Since they are one continuous length of nylon, they have no join that can snag the delicate mohair and fine wool yarns that are used for lace knitting. Perhaps if we could get enough people to write to Susan Bates, they could be persuaded to re-manufacture them. In the meantime, I will search the internet and haunt yard sales to find them. They are well worth the effort.
artsy1 is offline   Reply With Quote