Old 04-03-2011, 04:23 PM   #1
Heather27
Casting On

Please help - Begineer Question
I am brand new at knitting and trying just to start a new project. I've read, watched videos, and still completely clueless!

I've learned how to cast on got the knit stitch but I'm confused when I start to read the pattern. Here it is:

Cast on 3 sts.
1st row (RS) Knit
2nd row K1. Inc 1 st in next st. knit to end of row
Rep last row to 53 sts.

Okay what is not making sense to me is that I only cast on 3 stitches, but I'm making a dish cloth wouldn't it be wider than three stitches across?
Heather27 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-03-2011, 04:34 PM   #2
RochesterKnitter
Turning the Heel

In this pattern, you will be making the washcloth as if it were a diamond. So you would start narrow, get wider, then taper back down. You need to be able to do increases and decreases to do this.

This is a good pattern to practice your increases/decreases because the pattern is small and you won't get too frustrated if things don't work out. And, you can always frog it and try again.!.!.!.!

If you want to just do a straight across square then just cast on the number of stitches required by your package gauge to get 6 inches and then just work rows back and forth till the work is also 6 inches long, then bind off.
RochesterKnitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 04:38 PM   #3
Heather27
Casting On

OMGoodness thank you so much! I didn't realize I would be doing starting with a diamond! Now it makes sense!
Heather27 is offline   Reply With Quote