Old 04-12-2011, 05:11 PM   #1
NebraskaGal
Ribbing the Cuff

Desperate for a spinning wheel!!!!!
I have been spinning with a hand spindle for years and it is time to get serious. I cannot afford to buy a traditional spinning wheel and I do not know if I would be qualified to construct one myself. Does anyone know where I can find a decent spinning wheel for a reasonable price? I have a friend who got hers really cheep and it is made out of PVC and such, I would not mind one like that except I cannot even find those. I am very desperate, if anyone has any information that would help me then that would be very....helpful. On top of that I am purchasing two ewe lambs this month and I am hoping that by the time I can sheer them I will have something eficient to spin the wool with.
NebraskaGal is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-12-2011, 08:10 PM   #2
ZoeS
1st Leg of the Journey

Have you checked your local classifieds? I took a peak on mine and found a surprising number of used spinning wheels for $100-$200.
ZoeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 07:53 PM   #3
Mamamoose
Ribbing the Cuff

Here is a link to the pvc one you were talking about. But they are still up there in price....only about 90 or so cheaper than the Ashland Kiwi. Try Craigslist or Ebay.

http://www.babesfibergarden.com/inde...chk=1&Itemid=1
Old 04-17-2011, 12:01 PM   #4
NebraskaGal
Ribbing the Cuff

Thanks!
Thanks, I did hear that you need to be careful purchasing one off of ebay and creigslist because there is the possibility of pieces being missing and/or not being able to match spare pieces to it, but I supose if it were new than that should not be a problem. I did not even think about checking the classifieds (duh), but I will now . And thank you for that link to the PVC wheels, they are cheaper than the one that I was looking at. The cheapest wooden one that I could find was $345, and I might add that for that price it was not much to look at. However if it was as low as $200, I would not care what it looked like, as long as it did the job. My only concern with the plastic ones is the fear that they would not be as durable as the wooden ones, is there someone who has used both that can give me a comparison? I think it might be worth an extra $150 if I knew it would last, I may be wrong. Thanks again!
Old 04-18-2011, 01:47 AM   #5
mullerslanefarm
Turning the Heel

The Babe wheels are very durable. The only suggestion I would give is to weigh down the legs (with sand) so the wheel doesn't 'walk' when you spin. There are wooden wheels that 'walk' also, but there is no way to weigh them down.

Painting a Babe wheel is a great way to dress it up and make it uniquely yours!

I highly recommend Babe wheels.

Muller's Lane Farm
Our Lessons in Homesteading
mullerslanefarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 11:48 PM   #6
NebraskaGal
Ribbing the Cuff

Getting a Babe
I talked to a friend of mine who has a Babe and I found out she is a dealer. She is going to sell me one for $275 and is letting me make payments (bless her heart). Thank you all for the advice!!!!