Old 04-21-2011, 09:54 PM   #1
N0obKnitter
Working the Gusset

What do you who live kinda far from a LYS do?
I've been worried about where I will buy yarn given that I now live nowhere near a LYS (When I lived in Vancouver, I was a 15 minute bike ride from the nearest LYS.)

I do not drive and the public transit system here sucks compared to Vancouver (I was spoiled there...) DH and I are committed to driving as little as possible A. due to fuel costs and B. it's crappy for the environment and C. DH HATES driving and complains incessantly if he has to drive too much (more than once a week usually hahah.) He works from home, eh?

I'm wondering what you knitting "homies" that are kind of in my quandary do to acquire more stash?!?! I don't have a credit card, either, which further complicates things, eh?

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-21-2011, 10:37 PM   #2
primaknittermom
Casting On

I have an LYS, but they only carry one brand, so in some ways, some of the time, it's like not having an LYS. If I ever want something NOT Cascade, I order online.

A lot of places take paypal for payment. You might be able to set up a paypal account so your payments can come straight out of the bank since you don't have a credit card (or, I assume, debit.)

There's always a risk online with the color not being quite what you expect and touching yarn before you buy is always nice, but we do what we have to, don't we?

I hope you find a solution that works for you.
Old 04-21-2011, 11:07 PM   #3
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Some online shops will take paypal which can be set up to pay out of your checking account. Ravelry and ebay do this, you can find name brand yarns in ravelry stashes.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 11:33 PM   #4
Daylilydayzed
Turning the Heel

My only places to buy yarn are Walmart, JoAnn.s and Michaels. Michaels has drasticaly cut down the amount of yarn they have for sale. If I want good quality yarn I have to buy online.
Old 04-22-2011, 01:49 AM   #5
fatoldladyinpjs
Working the Gusset

You can get one of those prepaid debit cards. My son bought one for $5 at Walgreen's and preloaded it with funds so he can buy online. You can get the same card for free at Greendot.com. There's also a prepaid card at rushcard.com. You can get your paychecks direct deposited at Rushcard and you never have to go to the bank. You'll pay a one time fee. When the card expires, they automatically send you another one. Russell Simmons, the king of hip hop, started the company just for people like you with no credit cards and for low income people to allow them to buy online and not have to worry about stolen checks in the mail. This is a debit, not credit, card so you can't go over and get in financial trouble.

As for yarn, you can make one big trip and stock up for a while. I don't know what type of yarn you like. Last fall, I bought five different colors of acrylic Caron One Pound yarn for around $40. I made hats and gloves for my adult sons and their roommates, plus charity mittens. I'm still using that yarn and just now coming to the end of it. They come in solid colors. What I like is the 10 ounce multicolor skeins at the end of this page. These multicolor skeins match every One Pound color they have. I've gotten so many compliments on the things I've knitted with the Jetstream multicolor 10 ounce. The colors are gorgeous.
http://www.caron.com/color_cards/cc_onepound.html
fatoldladyinpjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 07:30 AM   #6
chj
1st Leg of the Journey

Well, there's no substitute for touching and feeling, but I have found some yarns I like a lot (some Knitpicks yarns, and always Cascade) and you can get good prices online. I've been doing more of that anyway, though I do hit the LYS (30 miles away) every now and then to support them.

Addicted to knitting...
chj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 01:43 PM   #7
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,798 Times in 7,158 Posts
As far as I know these stores all take PayPal -
Elann
Little Knits
Webs

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jan in CA For This Useful Post:
N0obKnitter (04-24-2011)
Old 04-23-2011, 12:34 AM   #8
offgridgirl
Knitting the Flap

I shop on-line, Mum gives me yarn from my Aunt that lives in London,Great Britain and I visit hubby in Vancouver. It is always good to smell a yarn store.....
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to offgridgirl For This Useful Post:
Mirl56 (04-28-2011), N0obKnitter (04-23-2011)
Old 04-23-2011, 04:47 PM   #9
N0obKnitter
Working the Gusset

So I went to Fail*mart and Michael's today (we have a Michael's two miles from here.) Waste of time, pretty much. I want like nice yarn, fingering weight and such (KWIM? the kind of yarn that can be had in a LYS.) I checked several LYS websites, poking around Ravelry, too:

I need to be able to order via the website, not email/phone for stuff (just a preference eh?) also, I despise paying shipping unless I'm buying from a regular person. Yes, knitpicks has the "buy $50 worth of stuff, free shipping" which is awesome, but I don't always have $50 to spend (I WISH!!!)

I'm seriously starting to freak out!! seems like the nearest LYS is in Arvada, I asked DH if that's kinda close to us "no."

WAAAAAH.

I also sent a Stash 911 email to my mom, see what she can do (she's an enabler, I have a 'retarded' amount of cotton yarn because of her LOL.)
Old 04-23-2011, 05:12 PM   #10
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Check the Colorado ravelry groups, click on this link and enter your zipcode, that will find groups who meet near you and would have some threads on LYS that may be of some help.

And I think Arvada's only about 10 miles away from you. There's a few others in the North Denver area within 20 miles. I know that can take forever on the freeways to pop in often, but it's really not that far for an outing.

Last edited by suzeeq : 04-23-2011 at 05:44 PM.
suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote