Old 04-22-2011, 12:18 PM   #1
lorella
Casting On

Hi everyone
Hi new here and first post. So new I have not taken time to check out other threads yet. but will before the day is over.
I have crocheted for ever... since I was about 9 yrs old. I have taken up knitting also. (pretty recent on that one!)(couple of yrs).
I made my self a drop spindle and have fiber ordered , it should be here tomorrow. In the mean time I wanted fiber NOW. so I went to hobby lobby and bought a small package of the wool for felting... Not the same I am sure but I needed to try this spinning out. It seems to be reeling me in with a strong calling for some reason.
My first question is..... how do you know if you have over twisted the fibers? this is folding back and twisting onto its self when I am not pulling with tension. I am sure I will be trying the "real" stuff the second it is delivered.

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-22-2011, 05:37 PM   #2
NebraskaGal
Ribbing the Cuff

I have not been spinning as long as some of my friends, but I can tell you that it is better to over spin a little than to leave it too loose. I did that once and the project that I was crocheting slowly fell apart as I was working because I simply did not spin it tight enough. It is natural for the yarn to twist some when you release the tension, just be careful when you go to pull it tight again that you don't create any knots or tear it. Usually when one is spinning it is best to keep some tension on it at all times, or it will twist and even spin itself out the other direction causing it to loosen and fall apart. It is easier to keep a good tension on a wheel than a spindle but with a little practice you get used to the spindle too. I am always glad to hear of a new spinner, I hope you have lots of fun.
NebraskaGal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NebraskaGal For This Useful Post:
lorella (04-26-2011)
Old 04-23-2011, 11:20 AM   #3
mullerslanefarm
Turning the Heel

Welcome to the wonderfully addicting world of fiber!

I'm going to recommend a youtube video for you from Abby Franquemont. Abby is a great teacher of all thing spindle and will take you step by step.

Abby wrote a book last year for Interweave Press called "Respect the Spindle". I don't have a copy of the book, but I know it has received great reviews

Drop Spindle Basics From this video, you can view other drop spindle videos by Abby

Don't forget to show us your yarns!!

Muller's Lane Farm
Our Lessons in Homesteading
mullerslanefarm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mullerslanefarm For This Useful Post:
lorella (04-26-2011)
Old 04-26-2011, 01:03 PM   #4
lorella
Casting On

Thank you so much. I got my fiber and as I suspected I was unable to let it sit for a minute before I started right into trying it out. I am not sure how I did as a newby so I am attaching a pic of my very first little ball of hand spun wool yarn. My second one will be much better. I have much to learn and am already wanting a wheel. I have all sorts of people on the lookout for a used one. I am thinking they are few and far between. If you can explain what this means: "Ratios: 5.5, 10 and 14 to 1 for the single drive; 6.5, 8.5 and 11.5 to 1 for the double drive." it would sure help in my research.
Thank you for the suggestion of Abby Franquemont on youtube. She ceratinly is a great teacher. (I wish she lived next door to me!) I think I have watched most of the youtube videos on spinning many times over and am still doing it. Thank you again for the encouragement.
Attached Images:

Old 04-26-2011, 01:31 PM   #5
lorella
Casting On

Cyndi, you have a very interesting web site. I am still not finished checking it out.
The Following User Says Thank You to lorella For This Useful Post:
mullerslanefarm (04-27-2011)
Old 04-26-2011, 03:15 PM   #6
NebraskaGal
Ribbing the Cuff

That looks great! Alot better than my first try that's for sure. I do find it to be better if I double ply it, were you planning on doing that or were you keeping it single?
Old 04-26-2011, 03:54 PM   #7
lorella
Casting On

oh thank you.. that is very encouraging. Plying .... let see now... yes. I want to try it all. I have to work on making it a little more even. I am so excited. I am looking at that Babe spinning wheel. we travel quite a bit in a motorhome , which we call our dog house, and I need something that is light weight, and easy for on the road. unless.... I can find a great deal on a wooden one than I can have a more permanent one for home.
Old 04-26-2011, 06:18 PM   #8
NebraskaGal
Ribbing the Cuff

Babes are excellent, that is what I have. My friend deals them so I got a really good deal on a gently used one. I never really had the patients for the spindle so I worked to get a wheel as soon as I decided to get my two ewe lambs.
Old 04-27-2011, 09:00 AM   #9
mullerslanefarm
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by lorella View Post
If you can explain what this means: "Ratios: 5.5, 10 and 14 to 1 for the single drive; 6.5, 8.5 and 11.5 to 1 for the double drive." it would sure help in my research.
I'll try.

Ratios are given in how many times the whorl on the flyer (or bobbin, if an Irish tension) turns for every one turn of the drive (large) wheel.

For thicker yarns, or making yarns from fleece/roving with a long staple length, you will want less twist in your yarn, so you choose a low ratio.

For thin yarns, or yarns made with short staple lengths (like cotton), you'll want more twists in your yarn and want to use a higher ratio.

All this means is you can treadle at the same speed and by changing the whorl ratio, can put a different amount of twist in your fiber. Alternately, you can leave the drive band on the same whorl and slow down or hurry up your treadling speed.

Single Drive (SD) Scotch tension means your drive band goes around your drive (large) wheel, then around the flyer (U shaped thing). A separate brake band goes round the bobbin to slow it down so the yarn can wind on to the bobbin. This is called a 'flyer lead' since the drive band controls the speed of the flyer.

Single Drive (SD) Irish tension means your drive band goes around your drive wheel, then around the bobbin. A separate brake band goes round the flyer to slow it down so the yarn can wind on to the bobbin. This is called a 'bobbin lead' since the drive band controls the speed of the bobbin.

A Double Drive (DD) means the drive band goes around the drive wheel, around the flyer, back around the drive wheel and then around the bobbin. There is no brake band.

Most wheels are either Scotch tension, Irish tension or DD. My first wheel, a 2002 Ashford Traveller actually has all three. When I started spinning on a wheel, I found the DD the least complicated and easiest to use.

I believe Babe wheels are Irish tension. Some folks have problems with Babes 'walking' during use because it is so light weight. The solution is to put sand in the legs.

Since you travel, another option for you would be the Hitchhiker

Muller's Lane Farm

Last edited by mullerslanefarm : 04-28-2011 at 10:39 AM.
Old 04-27-2011, 09:04 AM   #10
mullerslanefarm
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by lorella View Post
Cyndi, you have a very interesting web site. I am still not finished checking it out.
It takes a while to get through it all. The pictures are quite old and it really needs an update! If I can find time when I'm not fibering or soaping are gardening, I'll get it done!

Your first yarn is wonderful!! It looks very consistent to me! If you wanted 'perfect' yarn, you would just buy commercial spun, eh?

I always recommend to my beginning spinners to knit, crochet or weave a bag to carry their spinning items in.

Muller's Lane Farm