Old 04-03-2011, 02:55 PM   #1
badboy1cdx
Ribbing the Cuff

Adding borders to the length of a scarf?
I recently adopted a scarf from a new crocheter that got frustrated with it and gave it to me...She a had an ok start on it for a beginner, but the tension on her base chain stitches are absolutely hideous and I was wondering if, now that I've finished the scarf, there's some way I can go back and try to disguise it...I've considered trying to go stitch by stitch and trying to tighten it up to hide it that way, but if anyone knew of a good way to add a border or something that might be a bit less tedious and look decent I'd love any ideas....The pattern of the stitch is pretty simply with alternating rows of SC and DC stitches if that helps any...once I get my camera working I'll post a pic of the FO as it is right now...oh, and I don't have any more of the same yarn I used for the scarf, if that makes any differences....
badboy1cdx is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-03-2011, 09:39 PM   #2
Antares
Working the Gusset

Hmmm . . . that's quite a challenge!

I'm wondering, though, if a border will really disguise the stitches. How many rows are actually messed up (and how wide is the scarf)? I'm wondering if you could pick out the stitches from the bottom up to a certain point and then add your border to the good stitches.

I know picking out crochet stitches from bottom to top is tedious, but I worry that you won't be able to "hide" the loose tension.

Yeah, a picture or two would probably help me answer this (maybe).
Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 01:21 AM   #3
badboy1cdx
Ribbing the Cuff

The only thing I could think of that would disguise it would be doing a sewed loop or wrap stitch on both edges...It's really only the base chain that needs to be disguised, as her second and 3rd rows aren't an eyesore...The odd thing about this scarf is that she did her base chain, did about 2/3 of a row of DC, then finished the row with SC...She then did the whole next row in SC and the row after did much the same as the row after her base chain...DC's for about 2/3 of the row then switched to SC's...She didn't finish that row and that is where I adopted it from her...It gave the scarf and interesting indent where she had switched between the two different stitches and I decided to do my best to continue that motif to make it look even...In the end the scarf started out about 9" wide at one end and had a quick indent on both sides that shrunk it to about 7.5" wide...Gave it an interesting look and I was pleased with everything but the base chain...I also added tassles to the end to distract a bit from her odd looking starting edge....As I said before I'll post pics when I can of what I've got, but does my idea for the sewed borders sound feasible? I really can't think of anything else...I don't really know anything about picking the stitches up from the bottom to the next rows, but given the fact that the next rows aren't really an issue, I wonder if that would really help any or would in fact alter that edge to change the already interesting look of the scarf....I really think I need to post pics so you can get a better idea of what I'm working with and will do so as soon as possible...
badboy1cdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 10:56 AM   #4
Antares
Working the Gusset

By all means, go ahead and post the pics when you get a chance.

Meanwhile, I thought about this some more last night and realized what I would probably do: I would snip the yarn on the first row (the only row you're unhappy with) and redo it.

Here's how:
1. Determine which side is the beginning edge and which is the opposite edge--so look for the tail of yarn that indicates where she began (if you can find it).
2. Go to the opposite edge from the beginning, and cut the yarn ON THE FIRST row maybe a stitch or so from the edge (so if the beginning edge is on your right, snip the yarn a stitch or so in from the LEFT side).
3. Unravel the remaining stitches to the opposite edge, and then tie off your yarn so that your scarf now starts with row 2. Be sure you don't unravel any stitches on row 2!
4. Unravel the snipped off stitches that were previously part of row 1 and reuse this yarn as a new crocheted edge along the bottom (you might have to turn it into slip stitches based on how much yarn you have).

Of course, if you already have fringe on your scarf, it might be a bit of a pain undoing it before you make the alterations above, but in the end, it would most likely look better than trying to cover it up (in my humble opinion).

By the way, if you decide to go this route, you might do a swatch of similar yarn using the same stitches, make the alterations, and see if you're happy with the results.
Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 03:10 AM   #5
CaptainHook
Casting On

badboy, was the scarf worked long-wise or short-wise? That is, is each row short (across the scarf, which I'm assuming is rectangular) or long (the length of the rectangle)?

I'm a punk crocheter often bequeathed others' mistakes. Sometimes I frog the whole thing out to reclaim the yarn. Mostly I wing a solution as jazz.

My idea is related to your "sewed edges" one, where your instinct is to overwork the loopy zone.

If the nasty stitches are along the short side of the scarf, consider reinforcing them and then overstitching the edge using a lightweight bulky yarn in a pattern/stitch you like.

So, for instance, you can weave a length of something like Caron One Pound (herky washable uber string) or other appropriate yarn in a similar color in and out of those stitches. That becomes your base to cover up with good snug stitches, enclosing the loopy ones.

I like reinforcing edges with slip stitch or single crochet, then working prettier things into that. Sometimes when I need to cover up an edge I don't like, I reinforce it than work a simple hyperbolic curved border into it. You do that by setting down a row of say single crochet, nicely tensioned, then working an increasing number of stitches into each stitch in the previous row. So for instance, if you put two crochet stitches into each previous row's stitches, and continue doing that for three or four rows, you'll quickly make a spectacular fluted edge.

You can also use the loopy edges to advantage. Since they aren't properly filled tension-wise with the next row of stitches, then maybe you can fill them with something. Can you crochet a contrasting chain, then work it in an organized way into the loops? Can you catch up several loops and use them as part of other stitches you apply?

I am really a punk looper, though. If you look online at various "freeform" crochet sites, you will see that there are no rules. You can even take what you have of the scarf, and overwork it however you feel like. Ask it what it wants to be when it grows up. A scarf doesn't have to be a scarf. Try folding it different ways and seeing if it wants to be something else, like a basket or a hat or a coffeepot cozy. Sometimes a piece of crochet is just like a person: it may have faults, but fixing them is less fun than living with them creatively. :D
CaptainHook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 07:59 AM   #6
mathwizard
Turning the Heel

Did you ever think of doing the crab stitch aka reverse single crochet? it will hide a lot of stuff and is very decorative.
Past Portfolio reviewer for Crochet Guild of America
mathwizard is offline   Reply With Quote