Old 05-11-2011, 01:42 PM   #1
Jen01
Casting On

Spinning wheel help for new girl. Help!
Greetings All!

My name is Jennifer, and I am in the process of buying a new spinning wheel. I am new, have never spun, and with all the options out there, feel confused. I don't want to buy the wrong one, and cannot afford the really big price tags, but I still want a good one. I have never spun before, and my heart is in making the big, fun, art yarns you see out there. I want a wheel that is easy to learn on, and has the option of spinning the fat, art yarns. I was looking at the Ashford Traditional. Is this a good one? Do I also need to purchase a big Jumbo Flyer to make the art yarns? Is that even what I need? Oh, please help. Thank you!
Jen01 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 05-12-2011, 08:53 AM   #2
mullerslanefarm
Turning the Heel

You can never go wrong with any of the Ashford wheels. They have been around forever and parts are always available for them. They are sturdy wheels and hold up forever.

For fat, art yarns, yes you will want the Jumbo flyer & bobbin. You'll have smoother action if you get a sliding hook flyer instead of a flyer with hooks.

With the Traditional, you can spin both bulky & fine yarns.

If you think you want to spin only bulky art yarns, you might want to consider the Ashford Country

My first wheel was an Ashford Traveller. I liked that it had both the double drive and scotch tension so I could decide which what I wanted to tension my wheel. I love the smaller footprint and the ease of carrying it around.

Muller's Lane Farm
Our Lessons in Homesteading
mullerslanefarm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mullerslanefarm For This Useful Post:
Jen01 (05-12-2011)
Old 05-12-2011, 02:24 PM   #3
Jen01
Casting On

Dear Cyndi,

Thanks so much for your answer!! I was thinking of getting the Traveller as well. Did you find that this was a good first wheel? Thanks for the info on the Flyers as well!!
Old 05-13-2011, 09:31 AM   #4
mullerslanefarm
Turning the Heel

The Traveller was my main wheel for 6 years. I did add a Jumbo flyer/bobbin so I could ply two full regular bobbins onto one jumbo bobbin.

In 2008, I started travelling quite a bit for work and wanted ... Needed ... a wheel to go with me. I bought a Kromski Sonata and it has now become my go-to wheel.

I still use the Traveller for plying and for art yarns. If it wasn't for the need of having to get a fold up wheel, I probably would still be spinning on just the Traveller.

Muller's Lane Farm
The Following User Says Thank You to mullerslanefarm For This Useful Post:
Jen01 (05-13-2011)
Old 05-13-2011, 04:51 PM   #5
Jen01
Casting On

Thank you so very much for taking the time to answer my question! I just purchased the Traveller with the Sliding Hook Jumbo Flyer, and couldn't be more excited. I have heard a lot of good things about the wheel, and am so excited to get one. Thanks again!
Old 05-14-2011, 09:24 AM   #6
mullerslanefarm
Turning the Heel

More than happy to oblige, Jen.

Muller's Lane Farm