Old 05-22-2011, 01:44 PM   #1
okckwilter
1st Leg of the Journey

Afraid of this sweater
I saw this sweater at the LYS and totally fell in love with it so I bought the pattern by c2knits and yarn for it (Cascade UltraPima Quatro, same as in this picture). It has cables, which I haven't attempted before, so I've spent some time practicing various cable patterns from a book. I've read through and studied the pattern and *think* I have a decent understanding it. I *think* I have a fairly good grasp on the shaping decreases, etc. But I'm still afraid of starting on it! First off, I have no idea which cast-on might be best; long-tail or cable? It's worked from the top down so the cast-on will be the neckline. Or would it be better to have a firmer cast-on like the cable cast-on? Or will it make much difference? I'm feeling way too inexperienced to know!

Also, after using a number of dishcloths as learning projects, I recently finished my first big project, an afghan. I like it but am very disappointed at the number of times I messed up the pattern, didn't see the mistake until several rows later, convinced myself it's "just a learning project" and didn't go back and fix my mistakes. I really like the afghan and am proud of myself for sticking with it (it took me almost two solid months to complete), but am still very disappointed with myself and those mistakes.

So, how do I get up the courage to start this sweater? I really want to give it a try but am really afraid of totally screwing it up!

Any thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	zoe cardi.JPG
Views:	53
Size:	135.1 KB
ID:	55429  
arorginna (12-22-2013)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 05-22-2011, 02:55 PM   #2
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,344 Times in 3,028 Posts
Wow, no wonder you fell in love with the sweater!
It sounds like you've more than done your homework. The neckline looks like it will have sts picked up around it at the finishing steps so either cast on will work well.
It's a good idea to proofread your knitting every few rows to look for errors before you get too far past them. Even with that somehow, they will creep in. You might try putting in a lifeline (see Free videos, Tips) until you become familiar with the look of the pattern, just in case you have to rip back some rows. It will ensure that you can keep your place in the pattern.
Be brave, go ahead and cast on. Enjoy the project!
salmonmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 03:51 PM   #3
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,740 Times in 7,112 Posts
I always use the long tail cast on unless it specifically says to use something else and gives me valid reason why.

Just start and if you have to frog and start over remember you're in good company. We all have to do that sometimes. It's not the end of the world and more of than not you've learned something from the mistake.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 04:06 PM   #4
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Either LT or cable CO will be fine. We all mess up patterns, I misread one I was working on the other day regarding increase intervals; the correct way was a lot different.

There is no 'totally screwing up' in knitting because you can always redo or fix something. There's no problem with ripping back something if you make a mistake, sometimes you don't even need to rip back to fix it, you can redo it on the next row or even the row after that.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 05:44 PM   #5
fatoldladyinpjs
Working the Gusset

Starting a big project like this can be very intimidating. Don't fear the whole pattern. Just take it one row at a time. Eventually, you'll get through the whole thing. In Poor Richard's Almanac, Benjamin Franklin said: Little strokes fell great oaks.
fatoldladyinpjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 06:23 AM   #6
okckwilter
1st Leg of the Journey

Thank you all for the great advice and words of wisdom. Salmonmac, I love the "proofreading" analogy! I've been a secretary most of my life and am a very good print proofreader; hope I can carry that over to proofing my knitting! Lots of common sense in your replies and you're right, there are no permanent screw-ups when knitting! Now I'm looking forward to doing my gauge swatch and getting started. Thanks!